Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eli Barnett

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So, at even strength, his offense wasn’t enough to earn him a top-6 role in the OHL in his D+1. Sounds like he doesn’t have the offense all figured out just yet…
Yep that’s exactly what happened. Just like when Kessel was on the third line for PIT, he didn’t have enough offense. Or when Jumbo was on the third line in SJ. He didn’t have enough offense. Brilliant reasoning.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yep that’s exactly what happened. Just like when Kessel was on the third line for PIT, he didn’t have enough offense. Or when Jumbo was on the third line in SJ. He didn’t have enough offense. Brilliant reasoning.

Thornton was in his late 30s and being load managed coming off a major injury. And in both of the years Pittsburgh won the Cup, Kessel finished 3rd among Penguins forwards in TOI and points per game in the regular season, behind two first ballot HOFers.

Most importantly, though, this is a horrible comparison because they were competing against NHL players. Halttunen was competing against kids in junior who will likely never make the show.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Thornton was in his late 30s and being load managed coming off a major injury. And in both of the years Pittsburgh won the Cup, Kessel finished 3rd among Penguins forwards in TOI and points per game in the regular season, behind two first ballot HOFers.

Most importantly, though, this is a horrible comparison because they were competing against NHL players. Halttunen was competing against kids in junior who will likely never make the show.
So basically because it doesn’t fit your argument, it’s a horrible comparison.

Halttunen had the 5th most points for forwards for London. this is also while playing less games than everyone above him except Cowan. He had the fourth most goals. This is for a team that made the memorial cup. Don’t know what more you want from him.

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco , CA
Halttunen has said that he got used to the smaller ice towards the end of the year, which would coincide with his uptick in production during the playoffs.

I’m sure there’s more to it, but I’m optimistic he’ll continue to grow with that in mind.

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So basically because it doesn’t fit your argument, it’s a horrible comparison.

Halttunen had the 5th most points for forwards for London. this is also while playing less games than everyone above him except Cowan. He had the fourth most goals. This is for a team that made the memorial cup. Don’t know what more you want from him.

To justify a claim as strong as “the offense is already there” or to put him above Bystedt or Edstrom on the basis of offensive production, you do want more than that. 4th/5th among a group of forwards who are most or all long shots to make the NHL is not anything special.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
To justify a claim as strong as “the offense is already there” or to put him above Bystedt or Edstrom on the basis of offensive production, you do want more than that. 4th/5th among a group of forwards who are most or all long shots to make the NHL is not anything special.
I have Bystedt and Edstrom above Halttunen but it’s insane to say that the offense isn’t there. It’s also insane to say the London knights guys are all long shots to make the NHL.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The Sharks PP looks like it can be deadly.

Halttunen on the Left Dot
Celebrini on the Right Dot

Both open for one timers.

Eklund and Smith rotate between bumper and the blue line. With them different handedness they can rotate if they want to feel either Celebrini or Halttunen.

Musty as a net front presence.
Sure let's try it.....as soon as he earns a roster spot based on merit at the regular even strength parts of the game and earns pp time by being good at the other aspects of the game.

I hope he becomes our Vatrano

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have Bystedt and Edstrom above Halttunen but it’s insane to say that the offense isn’t there. It’s also insane to say the London knights guys are all long shots to make the NHL.
Which of the Knights forwards have a >50% chance at playing at least 200 NHL games?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Barkey? I find him shy on the physical side. Don't blame him given his size, but.....
I mean sure but he had over 100 points. Here’s the thing. Realistically none of these guys we are talking about have a higher than 50% chance to play 200 games. Not Bystedt, Edstrom, Halttunen, Barkey, Cowan, etc. but like Halttunen has the offense. If he doesn’t make it it’s not due to his offense. It’s due to everything else.

Reactions: druncan and Cas

JoeThorntonsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Cowan, O’Reilly, and Barkey all look pretty good.
So, do you understand why I believe that Halttunen, in his D+1, being unable to crack the top-6 on a forward group which, by your admission, contains no more than 3 other decent bets to make the NHL, is actually a concern in and of itself?

Reactions: STL Shark

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I mean sure but he had over 100 points. Here’s the thing. Realistically none of these guys we are talking about have a higher than 50% chance to play 200 games. Not Bystedt, Edstrom, Halttunen, Barkey, Cowan, etc. but like Halttunen has the offense. If he doesn’t make it it’s not due to his offense. It’s due to everything else.
What will make the difference in whether Halttunen is an NHL player comes down to how much dirty work he's willing to do. How hard do you work recovering pucks in the corners? How willing are you to go to the goalmouth and fight for position? How hard will you work on defense? How willing are you to be physical when the situation warrants it?

But when Todd Marchant says that what's missing in your game is better conditioning, that is a compliment on how well your season went. Anybody can get in better shape if they have the drive to do it.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
What will make the difference in whether Halttunen is an NHL player comes down to how much dirty work he's willing to do. How hard do you work recovering pucks in the corners? How willing are you to go to the goalmouth and fight for position? How hard will you work on defense? How willing are you to be physical when the situation warrants it?

But when Todd Marchant says that what's missing in your game is better conditioning, that is a compliment on how well your season went. Anybody can get in better shape if they have the drive to do it.
It sounds like physical play is not the issue it is more conditioning which maybe after being in a new country was hard to be disciplined was an issue that he is working on addressing.

The conditioning affects his skating and compete level.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So, do you understand why I believe that Halttunen, in his D+1, being unable to crack the top-6 on a forward group which, by your admission, contains no more than 3 other decent bets to make the NHL, is actually a concern in and of itself?
I mean considering this was off the top of my head and I’ve already shown you examples of teams spreading out their talent across the lines, no. It’s not a concern. It’s smart hockey to try to get mismatches.

Reactions: druncan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have the same ranking but generally agree with you. Halttunen was always a project prospect with a lot of good physical attributes but was underdeveloped on the ice outside of his shot. So he had a lot he needed to work on this year between the small ice adjustment, learning to play the game, and getting into better physical condition. He went to a really good situation in London under the Hunters to develop his game and started to get into better physical shape after the WJC. It seems like it really started to come together for him during the OHL playoffs. Generally speaking, a strong performance in the CHL playoffs is more interesting for a prospect than just what they do during the season.

I don't know if he's got much of a future as a bonafide top 6 player but I don't think he's going to be an empty calories scorer either. I think he's probably going to be a top 9 big body grinder who can contribute on the PP with his shot and his size. Maybe be a Johan Franzen type at his peak.

llamanby

Mar 19, 2006
It was only a few years ago Ryan Merkley was our clear number 1. We'd probably rank him around 10 right now (assuming we all had the same hope for him back then we have for similar players now)

I think Merkley would have gone before Edstrom/Bystedt. In the Barracuda games, he was clearly a step ahead of everyone else. To bad he was a head case.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Halttunen finished 2nd for #6 prospect and could easily finish 2nd for #7 prospect. I also think Edstrom will be voted above Halttunen since my guess is the majority of Bystedt voters would also vote Edstrom above Halttunen.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Halttunen finished 2nd for #6 prospect and could easily finish 2nd for #7 prospect. I also think Edstrom will be voted above Halttunen since my guess is the majority of Bystedt voters would also vote Edstrom above Halttunen.

Bystedt, Halttunen, Edstrom for me.

I think Edstrom has a better chance of sticking in the NHL but it's not a huge gap. However, Halttunen has a coveted NHL talent that could make him more valuable if he translate.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad