News Article: Sam Rosen To Retire After Next Season

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Legend. Listening to Sam is a delight, even if you don't know anything else. And then you listen to some other broadcasts, and makes you appreciate him even more.

148685983_10208380522828872_5624119890787779787_n.jpg

credit @Machinehead

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
He does deserve to go out with a Cup but I think the Rangers will be in punt mode to some degree. I don’t see them emptying the cupboard when they see a mini retool on the horizon.

This hits in the feels. He’s been the Rangers voice since I’ve been watching, which was in 1994 at age 11. All I’ve ever known. Gary Thorne’s calls got me hooked but Rosen for the Rangers broadcasts were A+ throughout the early 2000s when I got sucked back in as a college student when Lundqvist arrived after the dark ages.

Rangers hockey won’t be the same without Sam. He MAKES the broadcast to a degree. His voice, inflection and excitement make watching so much better.

I like Kenny Albert and he would be better than lots of choices for sure. But part of me wants them to come up with another icon, quick. Kenny is great as a jack of all trades announcer but another legend would be better. An up and comer.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Much love to Sam for a great run. Have had the opportunity to meet him several times and he’s always been very fan friendly. Nice man. Great run.

While Kenny Albert is the logical replacement choice. I’d love to see Howie Rose get a kick at the can for a few years. He’s a great hockey announcer and despite his work on the other side of town, he’s always been a great Ranger fan.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Much love to Sam for a great run. Have had the opportunity to meet him several times and he’s always been very fan friendly. Nice man. Great run.

While Kenny Albert is the logical replacement choice. I’d love to see Howie Rose get a kick at the can for a few years. He’s a great hockey announcer and despite his work on the other side of town, he’s always been a great Ranger fan.

Howie would be a great fill in when Kenny is calling 500 other things during the season.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Kenny's the primary choice but I wonder if he defers due to his other national broadcast duties. Give Alex Faust an offer before Boston takes him to replace Jack Edwards?

Yeah, that's true and why I slipped in the "decline". He's got a full slate for sure. He once did 4 different sports in 4 days. He's just getting back from Paris calling the water polo matches.

Reactions: and 99 others

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad