Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I love him and I do believe he can be a great #1 goalie with a shared load.

I'm still not sold on Primeau but I don't think we're in a disastrous situation either. We can definitely ride them both until one of Dobes, Fowler and Volohkin is ready. I'm almost 100% certain Fowler is the real deal and will be our #1 goalie in the near future.

As for Montembeault, all I want is consistency and weight loss. He needs to lose his double menton.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If Oilers can go to the finals with Skinner. I Don't know why Habs can't makes final with Montembeault. He is much safier goalie than Skinner!

The key part with Montembeault is to not overpay him. A great team can win with him. But if you start paying him 5+ millions it's where it starts to be a problem cause it becomes harder to ice a great team. Skinner is paid 2.6 millions and that's why it works for now. Oilers should move on when (if) he'll ask for a raise in the 5+ millions and so should we when (if) Montembeault will do the same.

Reactions: HabsQC

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
At work, we used to dislike monty a lot and calling him 'minimum 3 goals a night' in his early days with the habs.

Now, he has improved a lot since and what I like the most is the constant performance. A few blowouts, a few 1 goal and under games but 90% 2 or 3 goals per game.

Montembault rarely steals or get blowout but keeps you in the game on an almost nightly basis.

Looking forward what he can do with an extended workload with primeau now that Allen is gone.

Reactions: HabsQC

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Thumbs up to Bergevin to acquire him on waiver.

I was very impressed by him since 2 years. Really like his style. He reminds me of Jean Sebastien-Giguere!

Reactions: Tyson

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Thumbs up to Bergevin to acquire him on waiver.

I was very impressed by him since 2 years. Really like his style. He reminds me of Jean Sebastien-Giguere!
He gets the job done but I really don't like how he plays. Still looks like a junior goalie and a bit awkward in his movement.

OTOH, we have been spoiled watching Price, who is one of the smoothest goalies ever.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Of course Monty is not as smooth or technically as sound as Price, but what he does look to posses is a combative attitude that reminds me a lot of a younger Jonathan Quick.
Another thing that is clearly evident is that he gets totally pissed when he gives away a goal , but instead of bringing him and the team down, it often seems that it fuels him into getting his game to a higher level.
I really do like him.
And in the event that the Habs somehow make an early push into the playoffs before Fowler or any other prospect takes the net away from him, I consider Monty ´good enough ´ to get the job done.
And if history has taught us anything in the last 25 years, you don’t need an elite goalie to make a push to the Stanley cup .
I mean, Khabibulin, Ward,Giguère,Osgood,Niemi,Crawford,Murray,Holtby,Binnington,Kuemper,Hill all were #1 goalies on championship teams, but I would consider none of these as elite; they just were good enough on great teams.
In the last 25 years, one could argue that maybe Jonathan Quick and Tim Thomas were the reason why LA and Boston won their cups.
During the same time span, Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Vasilezky
and Fleury ( maybe) were elite goalies and also won cups, but were they really the reason their team won ? They all had the privilege of playing behind elite squads.
So, in a nutshell, Monty is not an elite goalie in any shape or form, but I think he’s ´good enough ´ for the next few years that he would not drag an elite team down.
I think people tend to forget that he has played behind the youngest D core and one of the most undisciplined penalized team for the last 2 seasons.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He won me over last year. He is going to be a big part of their success
He won me over the previous season just for how far he came from the outset when he was tagged with the name "Short side Sammy".
He showed flashes of brilliance throughout and he also showed a ton of combativeness I loved.
What sold me most was it became evident his team mates loved him and it showed up big time in games.

Ad

Ad

Ad