Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Maybe it's too early and maybe I'm blinded by some games he gave us this year but I think he can be the replacement of Price. Not that he can fill his shoes but he can be the starter for the next 6 years. He is way ahead of Primeau, to say the least and he's not injury prone like Allen. And Allen let a softy every game, so ...
Yes it's to early, right know I don't see him being a starter. But if he can become a solid #2 G, that would be great for a waiver pickup

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
No. Read the other posts above your post, they give the good reasons why we should keep him.
There is no reason to keep him. This organization has been talent depleted for 2 decades. Now that we have an opportunity to acquire it, let's not repeat past mistakes.

People give goalies far too much importance long term. Half the teams that won cups in recent years were able to acquire one off fa or a trade without giving significant assets and you can win with a decent goaltender. On the other hand, players like Crosby, Stamkos etc who are needed for a contention window are never available

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Maybe it's too early and maybe I'm blinded by some games he gave us this year but I think he can be the replacement of Price. Not that he can fill his shoes but he can be the starter for the next 6 years. He is way ahead of Primeau, to say the least and he's not injury prone like Allen. And Allen let a softy every game, so ...
I said since we got him that people should be patient because goalies can come into their own later. Even when he let in the occasional softie, he still showed a lot of promise. The guy improved leaps and bounds late last year. I'm not sure he can be a starter, but if he keeps playing this way, he'll get more games and then we'll see. Without jumping the gun, I definitely see he has more to give and a future starter wouldnt surpriseme.. Also, I'm not convinced Primeau will ever make it. He's still young and has looked better this year, so we'll see.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Do you still feel the same today? I'd avoid the "it's only 11 games" answer. If he was meh, you would be all over it.

Monty had a great game last night. Ever consider that he was exposed with our horrible team last year? Kind of like Price was exposed in previous seasons as well?

Montembault is at that age where he is matured and more confident. He's not a bad back-up for a rebuilding team.
Still very early in the season I know, but this hasn't aged too well lmao
You guys are quoting a post from May. I don’t have the gift of hindsight. I was going off of my opinion of him last season and what I said was fair at the time I said it. That said, his first four games have been excellent. But they’re just that. 4 games. I need to see a lot more to know it’s not just lightning in a bottle before I’m completely sold.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
There is no reason to keep him. This organization has been talent depleted for 2 decades. Now that we have an opportunity to acquire it, let's not repeat past mistakes.

People give goalies far too much importance long term. Half the teams that won cups in recent years were able to acquire one off fa or a trade without giving significant assets and you can win with a decent goaltender. On the other hand, players like Crosby, Stamkos etc who are needed for a contention window are never available
Goalies don't fetch much at all. Exactly what kind of talent do you expect them to get? A young, French Canadian goalie with potential is far more valuable to Montreal than anything they could get in a trade. Plus, he's under contract for peanuts right now. And, he wants to be here.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You guys are quoting a post from May. I don’t have the gift of hindsight. I was going off of my opinion of him last season and what I said was fair at the time I said it. That said, his first four games have been excellent. But they’re just that. 4 games. I need to see a lot more to know it’s not just lightning in a bottle before I’m completely sold.

Not to give you a hard time but I will ;)... when you post a frustrated post like that, it can back fire on you. Hey, call me out on stuff like this too in the future and I'm sure you will. I make mistakes too bud

Monty is OK. He's playing well and this is a team game. Nothing wrong with Allen/Monty as our goalies in rebuilding years.

Habs team D and overall team confidence last year was shit. It had major ripple effects and this can make a goalie like Monty look bad in games. Personally, I like how he battled through that last year and he did have solid games for us last year too. This year, our team D is better and he looks better. Go figure.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He looked good in the second half of last season too. His movements were much more precise and he had some solid games, despite playing in front of an ahl roster. (Sure, still the odd softie) I'd argue that there's a bigger sample size than just 4 games. He wasn't as horrible as some people think after St Louis took over.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Goalies don't fetch much at all. Exactly what kind of talent do you expect them to get? A young, French Canadian goalie with potential is far more valuable to Montreal than anything they could get in a trade. Plus, he's under contract for peanuts right now. And, he wants to be here.
He's valuable to a team that needs to win now.

The team doesn't need to win now. He's damaging the long term sustainable winning that Hughes claims to aim for.

Reactions: MasterD

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Nothing close to Crosby or Stamkos are available if Habs trade Montembault. Having more picks is a good thing but nothing is garanteed. When it was Timmins and Shurla I would say why having more picks? Why draft more Tinordis, McCarrons and Reways? But now I beleive we have a much better scouting staff. That being said, we need a good goalie in front of the net. He doesn't have to be a superstar but just be able to do a decent job. That's Monty in my book.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Nothing close to Crosby or Stamkos are available if Habs trade Montembault. Having more picks is a good thing but nothing is garanteed. When it was Timmins and Shurla I would say why having more picks? Why draft more Tinordis, McCarrons and Reways? But now I beleive we have a much better scouting staff. That being said, we need a good goalie in front of the net. He doesn't have to be a superstar but just be able to do a decent job. That's Monty in my book.
You don't get what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to say he's fetching the team too many points when fantilli, Bedard, michkov and Carlsson are available at draft. I don't care what we get for him.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I said since we got him that people should be patient because goalies can come into their own later. Even when he let in the occasional softie, he still showed a lot of promise. The guy improved leaps and bounds late last year. I'm not sure he can be a starter, but if he keeps playing this way, he'll get more games and then we'll see. Without jumping the gun, I definitely see he has more to give and a future starter wouldnt surpriseme.. Also, I'm not convinced Primeau will ever make it. He's still young and has looked better this year, so we'll see.
Yes. Monty and Primeau are two probable options. We'll see.

You don't get what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to say he's fetching the team too many points when fantilli, Bedard, michkov and Carlsson are available at draft. I don't care what we get for him.
Okay, okay. Now I understand. Monty is too good for the Habs trying to tank. Thank you for the explanation.:thumbu:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not to give you a hard time but I will ;)... when you post a frustrated post like that, it can back fire on you. Hey, call me out on stuff like this too in the future and I'm sure you will. I make mistakes too bud

Monty is OK. He's playing well and this is a team game. Nothing wrong with Allen/Monty as our goalies in rebuilding years.

Habs team D and overall team confidence last year was shit. It had major ripple effects and this can make a goalie like Monty look bad in games. Personally, I like how he battled through that last year and he did have solid games for us last year too. This year, our team D is better and he looks better. Go figure.
You’re throwing that post in my face like he just won the Vezina. Lol slow your role sweetheart. Whenever you’re feeling brave just remember our back and forths on Jonathan Drouin back in 2017-18. Like I said, it’s been 4 games. I watched an old Niemi look like a Vezina finalist on our team over a 20 game stretch. Goalies get hot all the time. We need a much bigger sample size. Especially when his play every other year and league has been mediocre to bad. I’m super impressed with what I’ve seen so far. But I need to see more.

Reactions: HabzSauce

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Yes. Monty and Primeau are two probable options. We'll see.

Okay, okay. Now I understand. Monty is too good for the Habs trying to tank. Thank you for the explanation.:thumbu:
Precisely! It's all about timing. I'm glad that he's making himself a place in the NHL but the timing isn't right. Allen would have lost yday before OT.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It’s not what we can get for him, it’s how low we can fall in the standings without him.

Though I expect him to revert to his usual 3rd string performances soon enough.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm kind of angry he's been as good as he has been. He was supposed to be a tank commander and he's been earning the team points by himself.

But seriously, its a good development if he's figuring things out.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Precisely! It's all about timing. I'm glad that he's making himself a place in the NHL but the timing isn't right. Allen would have lost yday before OT.
There is other options for this team wanting to tank. We have Petry, Chiarot and Toffoli gone. Habs can trade Gallagher, Edmundson and Anderson, they have more value than Montembault and Monty can be a valuable G to keep in the future. He doesn't have much value right now, unless someone in another team watched him closely and firmly beleive he have a great potential ready to be constant*. If Monty is gone and Primeau doesn't step into a nhl level, we are in trouble.

* Even in that case, the return will be very low. The other team will steal Monty for almost free.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Habs were on tank mode last year leaving him out to dry so often,but he has great reflexes and agility,doesn't rely solely on positioning.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He's valuable to a team that needs to win now.

The team doesn't need to win now. He's damaging the long term sustainable winning that Hughes claims to aim for.
As much as I'm in for tanking, I'm sure teams feel that they have better options than Monty. The guy is starting to establish himself, he's not there yet. No team is giving up anything of value.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
As much as I'm in for tanking, I'm sure teams feel that they have better options than Monty. The guy is starting to establish himself, he's not there yet. No team is giving up anything of value.
He's already given us 3 points we shouldn't have.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
It’s not what we can get for him, it’s how low we can fall in the standings without him.

Though I expect him to revert to his usual 3rd string performances soon enough.
Totally disagree on both counts. I'm all for the tank, but this team isn't bad enough with the depth they have at forward and the way the D is playing. Injuries will be the deciding factor.
as for Monty, just wait and see.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He's already given us 3 points we shouldn't have.
I want a high pick. Believe me. But our goalies aren't going to steal games every night. This team is still lacking in some spots. Trading away a potentially solid young goalie for peanuts would be a waste. Just wait until injuries creep in because they don't have the depth in Laval to cover. Once that happens, things will go downhill.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Monty has been super solid so far. He should play a little more often to protect Allen who seems a bit injury prone. I’d say minimum of 30 games. Kid is improving!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad