Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I wouldn’t mind him as our backup next year. He showed some potential and goalies take a while to reach their peak. He’s still only 25
He’s going to be 26 in October. I will never understand the obsession with this guy. He was a waiver claim with awful results before we picked him up. He was bad outside of a few games this season. There is no upside to him. All he accomplishes is taking up a roster spot. We should be looking at realistic options to replace Price. Not this sieve. Condon and Tokarski were more impressive then him and had much less support. Make it make sense.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He’s going to be 26 in October. I will never understand the obsession with this guy. He was a waiver claim with awful results before we picked him up. He was bad outside of a few games this season. There is no upside to him. All he accomplishes is taking up a roster spot. We should be looking at realistic options to replace Price. Not this sieve. Condon and Tokarski were more impressive then him and had much less support. Make it make sense.
They both had a better team in front of them.

However, both also collapsed and looked terrible.

Monty did alright.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I like Monty, kid wears his heart on his sleeve. If we’re going to be just as bad next year let the guy collect an NHL paycheck for another year. With Pricer looking doubtful and Allen injury prone at least it appears Sammy boy can handle a significant work load. Baseball analogy he is an innings eater. Primeau can stay in Laval and be a number one in the AHL and perhaps develop properly. After next season we get it sorted out… whatever that means? Just my opinion.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
It will help him that he may be the only francophone player on the team next year (if Dauphin isn’t back).

I know some don’t care about it but fanbase and Chantale do, he was the one asked to speak to the fans at the end of the last game.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
It will help him that he may be the only francophone player on the team next year (if Dauphin isn’t back).

I know some don’t care about it but fanbase and Chantale do, he was the one asked to speak to the fans at the end of the last game.

Savard and Byron should be there. Maybe Drouin too. Harvey-Pinard and Teasdale should get some games too.

Reactions: Captain97 and jrom

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sam Montembeault elected not to go to arbitration today.

He can either sign his $787,500 1-way Qualifying offer by the 22nd, or wait longer and the offer is off the table, but he can accept an offer sheet.

The Habs can match any offer sheet, but if they do not match they will get no compensation if the salary is below $1.386M and a 3rd round pick if it iss between that and $2.100M

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Can't really ask for more from a backup. I wonder if there's more to this guy that we thought.
A lots of NHL goalies don't get established (as starter or backup) until they are 26-27 years old. Monty is only 25, he's still developing. He also played with a wrist injury last season and seems to have improved his mental game a lot.

A goalie needs to face rubber to develop and he faced a crazy amount last season. It was like the best thing that could happen for his development.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He deserve more start with his start of the season. I would even give him a candy and would start him against VGK at the Bell Center Saturday night
Maybe it's too early and maybe I'm blinded by some games he gave us this year but I think he can be the replacement of Price. Not that he can fill his shoes but he can be the starter for the next 6 years. He is way ahead of Primeau, to say the least and he's not injury prone like Allen. And Allen let a softy every game, so ...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is there seriously no bum we can sign that’s as good as Montembault. He isn’t an NHL regular.

Do you still feel the same today? I'd avoid the "it's only 11 games" answer. If he was meh, you would be all over it.

Monty had a great game last night. Ever consider that he was exposed with our horrible team last year? Kind of like Price was exposed in previous seasons as well?

Montembault is at that age where he is matured and more confident. He's not a bad back-up for a rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad