Proposal: Sam Bennett to NYR (offseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...Bennett has become a hugely important part of that team and is on a great deal. I would think it would take significant overpayment to get Zito to consider it, and not just a collection of spare parts.

Krav and Nils is "significant overpayment ... and not just a collection of spare parts" but NYR decline

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Krav and Nils is "significant overpayment ... and not just a collection of spare parts" but NYR decline
Florida would need a proven, valuable asset going back the other way. Throwing around guys with minimal experience / success at the NHL level. Kravtsov doesn't even want to play for the Rangers anymore.

In a trade for a player like Bennett, those two are spare parts.

There really isn't a trade to be made here.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
1. It's Rangers.
2. ONE PERSON POSTED THAT...
Rags is the abbreviation for Rangers. Multiple people suggested trading a couple of middling prospects for what would be a top 3 forward on your roster was an overpayment.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I give credit for legit prospects being offered.

Bennett 24 regular season panther games (5 points 5 playoff fla games)
12g
13a
+25

And a robbery 4.425m deal to boot.

Never saw Bennett as near ppg player before trade but if he puts up a 70- 75 point season, I don't see how FLA says yes.

Reactions: Laus723

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rags is the abbreviation for Rangers. Multiple people suggested trading a couple of middling prospects for what would be a top 3 forward on your roster was an overpayment.
It's not.
If by top 3 forward you mean strictly on points/games played, otherwise, Bennett won't be viewed as a better forward than Zibanejad, Panarin, and Kreider. Poster are putting up prospects because they feel Florida wouldn't want cap more than ELC cap coming back. But that's irrelevant because your post was about the price paid compared to the value now, which was done by 1 poster.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A lot will depend on what/who Zito values more long term with one or both of Fosling and Weegar.

Weegar is due end of next year, along with Huberdeau and then Forsling the year following.

Huberdeau in FLA could settle around $8.5 to 9 million per
Weegar in FLA could settle around $5.5 to 6 million per
Forsling in FLA could settle around $4.5 to 5 million per

Not saying both Weegar and Forsling will both be back but I'd strongly assume one of them.
With Huberdeau, it was up in the air up until last year, and now with Barkov signed, the team in their contender window, I can see him taking a slight free market discount to stay.

I dont see any way FLA would be interested in Trouba at 8 million cap hit with Bobrovsky's cap still on the books for at least the next 2.75 years.

EDIT - thats not taking into account the medium term cap space we will need for Lundell, Knight and Tippett.

Hornqvist, Gudas and likely Reinhart will be moved to make room for the 2 or 3 main guys above.

Have a great day Bern.
Hopefully you're liking Gallant, he tells it like it is, saw him jawing at Zib thenother day :laugh:

you have a good one as well my friend.

I appreciate the thorough assessment.
I assume NY can not additionally eat enough salary to make it worthwhile? Obv a small bite may not be a big whoop.
Doing max half at 4 semi defeats the purpose
but
if you gave me enough futures to justify, then
eating 4 to save 4, remove Schneid logjam and get assets
could maybe make sense

-- if that works for you.
Trouba reduced, starter/nonstarter
if yes, how much do you need and what do you offer?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...Multiple people suggested trading a couple of middling prospects for what would be a top 3 forward on your roster was an overpayment.
calling Krav and Lundkvist middling,
or calling Bennett top 3 on team w Bread, Zib, Kreider
makes your post seem more like provocative hot take than an informed statement

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's not.
If by top 3 forward you mean strictly on points/games played, otherwise, Bennett won't be viewed as a better forward than Zibanejad, Panarin, and Kreider. Poster are putting up prospects because they feel Florida wouldn't want cap more than ELC cap coming back. But that's irrelevant because your post was about the price paid compared to the value now, which was done by 1 poster.
They're known around the league as the Rags or blueshirts. I prefer Rags, it's shorter. If you think Kreider is better than Bennett you are indeed the typical Rags fan I'm talking about. Panarin is an elite forward. Zibanejad is a low end 1C. Bennett is better than Kreider at everything. He's one of the most physical forwards in the league, scores more since Florida than Kreider and plays the more valuable position.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
calling Krav and Lundkvist middling,
or calling Bennett top 3 on team w Bread, Zib, Kreider
makes your post seem more like provocative hot take than an informed statement
Rags fans... We have a pretty weak prospect pool in Calgary. Kravtsov wouldn't be in the top 5 of said weak prospect pool. Lundkvist is a D+3 player who is presently the #6 or #7 defenseman for a pretty average blueline.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rags fans... We have a pretty weak prospect pool in Calgary. Kravtsov wouldn't be in the top 5 of said weak prospect pool. Lundkvist is a D+3 player who is presently the #6 or #7 defenseman for a pretty average blueline.
Rangers blue line is the strength of their team. Their top 4 especially. Highlighted by a 23 year old Norris winner. It’s only going to get better with the additions of Jones /Robertson/Schneider.
Shesty is also a top tier goalie. You have no idea what your talking about.
What the rangers are missing prospect wise, is centers and wingers with the graduations of laf/kakko

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
you have a good one as well my friend.

I appreciate the thorough assessment.
I assume NY can not additionally eat enough salary to make it worthwhile? Obv a small bite may not be a big whoop.
Doing max half at 4 semi defeats the purpose
but
if you gave me enough futures to justify, then
eating 4 to save 4, remove Schneid logjam and get assets
could maybe make sense

-- if that works for you.
Trouba reduced, starter/nonstarter
if yes, how much do you need and what do you offer?

It'd depend on what happens with Weegar first and foremost, if he gets around $6 million then I'd say no to Trouba even around $5 million.

Loved him a couple years ago while still in WPG but just don't see us paying extra for retention as we will likely need those assets to:
  • draft/develop ELC players and offset the other big deals coming down the pipe.
  • Trade for final pieces of a cup run
  • Possibly add to Bobrovsky to move his final 2 years

Zito has structured it so we don't really have any long term deals for the complimentary pieces.

Barkov, Huberdeau, Weegar and/or Forsling, Knight and Lundell will be the long term deals on the team going forward.
Also Ekblad is due in 4 years as well.

That's a pretty solid core if Zito wants/can make it work.
(2) top 6Cs, #1LW, (2-3) top 3 D and a future #1G.

No can do on Trouba Bern.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Rangers blue line is the strength of their team. Their top 4 especially. Highlighted by a 23 year old Norris winner. It’s only going to get better with the additions of Jones /Robertson/Schneider
Goaltending is the strength of their team. They actually are bottom third in HDSC. They bleed a lot of chances.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I could see Florida selling high on Bennett this off-season if they believe Lundell is ready to take over 2C duties...

How about a 3way deal involving Arizona?

New York out: 2022 1st, STL's 2022 2nd, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Hajek
New York in: Bennett

Florida out: 2023 1st, Bennett, Hornqvist
Florida in: Chychrun

Arizona out: Chychrun
Arizona in: NYR's 2022 1st, FLA's 2023 1st, STL's 2022 2nd, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Hajek, Hornqvist

Rangers get their 2nd line C on a team-friendly contract without sacrificing any young talent currently on the roster

Florida get a top pairing LD on a team-friendly contract, while also clearing Hornqvist's contract off the books for next season

Arizona add another 2022 1st and 2022 2nd, a 2023 1st, an offensively gifted forward prospect in Kravtsov, and a couple of serviceable young D in Lundkvist and Hajek

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Goaltending is the strength of their team. They actually are bottom third in HDSC. They bleed a lot of chances.

that has a lot to do with Fwds not playing up to snuff, a lot of turnover, new coach, new system.
As a whole rangers top 4 has been very good. Miller and especially Trouba have been rock solid.

If there is a weak link it’s Nemeth-Lundkvist pair, but both have been better of late

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
that has a lot to do with Fwds not playing up to snuff, a lot of turnover, new coach, new system.
As a whole rangers top 4 has been very good. Miller and especially Trouba have been rock solid.

If there is a weak link it’s Nemeth-Lundkvist pair, but both have been better of late
I've always been a fan of Miller's game. He was my favorite Rags prospect for a long time. He's a good player. Similar game to Hanifin. Good tools and a quiet game. Lundkvist isn't what Rags fans think he is. Admittedly, I've only watched their games against the Alberta teams. Their blueline looked pretty bad in those games. The rest I'm just going by numbers.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I could see Florida selling high on Bennett this off-season if they believe Lundell is ready to take over 2C duties...

How about a 3way deal involving Arizona?

New York out: 2022 1st, Kravtsov, Schneider, Hajek
New York in: Bennett

Florida out: 2023 1st, Bennett, Hornqvist
Florida in: Chychrun

Arizona out: Chychrun
Arizona in: NYR's 2022 1st, FLA's 2023 1st, Kravtsov, Schneider, Hajek, Hornqvist

Rangers get their 2nd line C on a team-friendly contract without sacrificing any young talent currently on the roster

Florida get a top pairing LD on a team-friendly contract, while also clearing Hornqvist's contract off the books for next season

Arizona add another 2022 1st, a 2023 1st, an offensively gifted forward prospect in Kravtsov, a possible long term top 4 RD in Schneider, plus a serviceable young LD in Hajek
Rangers aren’t going to deal Schneider. He’s too rare of a skillset. He’s capable of playing heavy minutes, he has a nasty disposition, and his offensive ceiling is kind of unknown at this point. He has a very good shot and moves the puck well for a big man. He’s the eventual heir to Trouba’s minutes.
NYR missed the boat on Bennett. Many of us wanted to trade for him last season before he was traded to FLA.
He would have been a great add as a 2C to play behind zibby

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@bernmeister

2 teams OTOH, I could see ANA or ARI maybe interested in Trouba.

ANA could replace Manson if they decide to move him, they'd have some decent cap space for last 4 years of him.

Fowler - Drysdale
Lindholm - Trouba would be a decent top 4

ARI may need some warm bodies for the prospects coming up.

Chychrun - Soderstrom
Xxxx - Trouba is somewhat decent if Soderstrom can hit #3 type potential.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Krav was a top 10 pick, just a couple years back, talented and gifted, and been productive vs men in KHL.
Vultures circling, hoping to get him cheap because of the demotion kerfuffle, will be disappointed.

I asked why he is 1st round value, you didn’t answer
Nobody is paying a 1st for him so he’s value is not 1st round pick

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Rangers aren’t going to deal Schneider. He’s too rare of a skillset. He’s capable of playing heavy minutes, he has a nasty disposition, and his offensive ceiling is kind of unknown at this point. He has a very good shot and moves the puck well for a big man. He’s the eventual heir to Trouba’s minutes.
NYR missed the boat on Bennett. Many of us wanted to trade for him last season before he was traded to FLA.
He would have been a great add as a 2C to play behind zibby

Trouba is only 27, and is signed through the 2026 season...

I don't think the Rangers should be concerned with his eventual replacement...

With Fox, Trouba, and Lundkvist, they're set at RD, so Schneider shouldn't be viewed as untouchable

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

With Fox, Trouba, and Lundkvist, they're set at RD, so Schneider shouldn't be viewed as untouchable
If I'm the Rags I'm trading Lundkvist and keeping Schneider. Schneider is probably better right now and definitely has higher upside.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If I'm the Rags I'm trading Lundkvist and keeping Schneider. Schneider is probably better right now and definitely has higher upside.

I've updated the proposal...

Maybe Arizona would settle for Lundkvist if the Rangers included STL's 2022 2nd...

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Trouba’s NMC switches to a MNTC 2 seasons after this one. Schneider likely breaks in on rangers 3rd pair next season. I think your only going to see 1 1 and a half year overlap where they are on the team together.
Lundkvist is likely getting dealt with Fox signed long term and Jones and Schneider in the system.
They would be more then a few teams that would love to add a 30 year old Trouba that’s only signed for 2 years, while they bolster their team for the playoffs.
Odds of rangers dealing Trouba early are high because NYR will need his cap hit, and Schneider can fill his role/minutes in a way Lundkvist cant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad