Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Florida just protected Bjugstad over their version of Sheary in the expansion draft. There's been zero rumours about him getting shopped. It seems super unlikely that he's available to me. People point at Florida needing to chop salary but Smith and Demers gets that done all by themselves.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It is worth nothing that the Panthers chose to protect Bjugstad over Marchessault even with his contract while they were trying to shed money so you would think that prob means they want to hold onto him, but who the hell knows what's going on in Florida.

They had worked out a deal with LV - they wanted LV to pick Smith, and thus dangled March to do so. So I wouldn't read too much into that.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Burakovsky has a history of production though that Sheary just doesn't have. Bura had 38 points last year and 35 this year (44pt pace). Sheary has 3/4 of 1 season. We saw the exact same thing play out with Hoffman 2 summers ago when he scored 29g and 47 pts (off the top of my head), in a great breakout season. He wanted a long term deal, Ottawa wasn't interested and it went to arbitration. He received a 1x2m award. Sheary did a little better and add in some inflation... and that's the type of contract he'll likely receive.

Having 38 and 35 point seasons does not give him any better history. 44 point pace is not compared to 71 point pace. So even with a big drop off Sheary could produce at least that well as that pace.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Komorov-Rowney-Reaves would be an interesting 4th line, might want a better C that can compliment them better though, whoever that would be.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Burakovsky has a history of production though that Sheary just doesn't have. Bura had 38 points last year and 35 this year (44pt pace). Sheary has 3/4 of 1 season. We saw the exact same thing play out with Hoffman 2 summers ago when he scored 29g and 47 pts (off the top of my head), in a great breakout season. He wanted a long term deal, Ottawa wasn't interested and it went to arbitration. He received a 1x2m award. Sheary did a little better and add in some inflation... and that's the type of contract he'll likely receive.
Agreed. I think he wants real money and there's just no way JR will give it to him with any type of term. My gut is telling me he gets a one year deal and ends up as trade bait.

Amen to that.

I do think people are being a little quick to focus on one aspect here. Guerin started with Corrado, Prow, Taylor, Zink and potentially Bengtsson as AHL dmen. They're all puck moving guys, none of them that big. They need their Dumo-types as well as their Schultz-types. It's not like there's nobody down there who can step up and move a puck or he's just got a bunch of huge guys down there.
That's a good point. They could put together some very balanced pairs with that crew. Something else I wonder is if they felt that D with more size might help to get them over the hump in the playoffs.

As far as NHL depth, our 7 and 8 D are Ruh and Pouliot, both puck movers. These signings give us a bit more balance for callup options.

Bringing Staal back into the core wouldn't be a horrible thing.

Only guys locked up for more than 3 years would be Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel, and Staal.

That's a pretty good core going forward.
I'd go beyond that and say I think it would be a great thing BUT...
not for what it would cost in both assets and cap. The only way it should happen is if Francis were to give us a great deal, and the only way I see that happening is if JS pushes it and Ronnie owes him a favor or something. :laugh:

I'll say this, if I had to pick I'd much prefer moving the assets for 6 years of Staal retained than 2 years of Duchene. It would pretty much guarantee us 3 killer lines for the duration of Sid and Geno's window.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Who's actually said that Rutherford is definitely hard in on Duchene? There's been some speculation but has there been anything more? I know the Pens are very good at keeping things quiet but its not like news on other organisations in this hasn't spewed all over the place.

Also I hope Rutherford has some good other names on his list because everything on the Colorado end is coming back negatron and Sakic looks like he really is crazy enough to just sit on an unhappy player and keep on rolling. It feels like 50-50 at best that Sakic will sell, nevermind sell to us.

I am not aware of anyone who has said JR is "hard on Duchene". Freidman back at the deadline and at the end of June. Jimmy Murphy has linked the Pens and Duchene recently.

I am speculating based on the clues. JR seemed to hint at something being done last weekend, mentioned he spoke with 5 teams. Sakic said that offers where not good enough for Duchene and they may keep him. JR comes out and says no trade as prices are too high and they may wait until sometime in the season to bring someone in.

To me, it sounds like a cat and mouse game between Sakic and JR. JR sounds like he is willing to see that if Sakic doesn't trade him, will Duchene publicly ask out. Duchene's agent has already been public about wanting it settled.

CBJ has been linked to Duchene for a while. The Isles appear to have cooled off, the Habs went for Drouin. Francis said he wouldn't move a D for a guy with 2 years left on his deal. Only recently has Boston been a team linked.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Having 38 and 35 point seasons does not give him any better history. 44 point pace is not compared to 71 point pace. So even with a big drop off Sheary could produce at least that well as that pace.

Absolutely it does. It shows that his production over the last two seasons was fairly consistent, and thus it's a pretty safe bet that his production going forward if given the same role and opportunity should be in the same realm - if not better.

Sure Sheary had a 70pt pace season - but he only scored 53 points. The year before in 44 games he had 10 points. What happens if all we saw was Sheary having a great run? He wasn't particularly productive or even all that effective in the playoffs - this year or last year. I'm not saying he's a 1 hit wonder (mainly because I don't think he is), but Burakovsky absolutely has a better history to earn a better contract then Sheary.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's insanely valuable, yeah.

I don't think I've ever had more fun watching hockey than when I watched Crosby and Guentzel play together this year. We waited so long for a winger who could think the game at Sid's level, play with his pace, and both create and finish...and Jake seems like he was created in a lab to do all of those things.

It's beautiful.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think I've ever had more fun watching hockey than when I watched Crosby and Guentzel play together this year. We waited so long for a winger who could think the game at Sid's level, play with his pace, and both create and finish...and Jake seems like he was created in a lab to do all of those things.

It's beautiful.

Rufus made him. Don't you get it? Wyld Stallyns are Sid and Guentz.

Far out, right?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rufus made him. Don't you get it? Wyld Stallyns are Sid and Guentz.

Far out, right?

giphy.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I am not aware of anyone who has said JR is "hard on Duchene". Freidman back at the deadline and at the end of June. Jimmy Murphy has linked the Pens and Duchene recently.

I am speculating based on the clues. JR seemed to hint at something being done last weekend, mentioned he spoke with 5 teams. Sakic said that offers where not good enough for Duchene and they may keep him. JR comes out and says no trade as prices are too high and they may wait until sometime in the season to bring someone in.

To me, it sounds like a cat and mouse game between Sakic and JR. JR sounds like he is willing to see that if Sakic doesn't trade him, will Duchene publicly ask out. Duchene's agent has already been public about wanting it settled.

CBJ has been linked to Duchene for a while. The Isles appear to have cooled off, the Habs went for Drouin. Francis said he wouldn't move a D for a guy with 2 years left on his deal. Only recently has Boston been a team linked.

Fair enough, I was curious as to whether I'd been missing something considering how convinced you seem.

I hope you're wrong on Rutherford banking majorly on Duchene as that seems very risky. I can get being patient considering the prize - if you think he's the right person - but there needs to be a substantial plan B.

I do wander why he might be thinking other prices might fall. More demand for right wingers/Maatta?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fair enough, I was curious as to whether I'd been missing something considering how convinced you seem.

I hope you're wrong on Rutherford banking majorly on Duchene as that seems very risky. I can get being patient considering the prize - if you think he's the right person - but there needs to be a substantial plan B.

I do wander why he might be thinking other prices might fall. More demand for right wingers/Maatta?

JR has the luxury of dealing from a position of strength coming off back-to-back Cup wins with enough talent to see us through whether we add a high end 3C before the season or not. Bones didn't do anything last year that a guy like Jokinen couldn't do 75% of next year, and we could just pick him up off the trash pile tomorrow if we wanted.

We're well-positioned to play the waiting game this summer if need be, particularly with a guy on the hot seat like Sakic.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
We better replace him in the next year. He's an important part of the puzzle.

I still think he can play his game for several more years. He doesn't rely on speed or hands. He's always going to have his psycho mentality. And net front players tend to stay productive well into their thirties.

Except the ones that didn't. Ryane Clowe, for example, scored 11 goals after the age of 29.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
JR has the luxury of dealing from a position of strength coming off back-to-back Cup wins with enough talent to see us through whether we add a high end 3C before the season or not. Bones didn't do anything last year that a guy like Jokinen couldn't do 75% of next year, and we could just pick him up off the trash pile tomorrow if we wanted.

We're well-positioned to play the waiting game this summer if need be, particularly with a guy on the hot seat like Sakic.

Keep telling yourself 34 year old Jussi Jokinen can eat defensive minutes like Bonino has done in two straight cup runs.

Also, in what world is our defense a position of strength?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

I think Duchene might be first on the list or if he is moved to another team or looks like he will go back to Colorado, then JR goes to the next player on his list. I think JR likely has a firm offer already.

Not to say that he wouldn't pull the trigger on another player for a good price, but I think the Duchene saga is what he could be waiting on.

Another factor is Sheary and Dumo. Particularly Sheary and his AAV and term.

I agree in that if we don't have our guy, we will have an NHL caliber center of some sort to start the year. Either Cullen or another UFA or a minor trade for someone.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be willing to re-sign Hornqvist if he'd be willing to accept a short extension, like 3 years.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Keep telling yourself 34 year old Jussi Jokinen can eat defensive minutes like Bonino has done in two straight cup runs.

Also, in what world is our defense a position of strength?

I think he more meant a position of strength not in terms of assets to trade, but in terms of timing and overall team situation. Given the overall strength of our team and back-to-back cups, we really just have the one hole that we can be patient in addressing as our team can function just fine in the shorter term and we don't have any other positions we absolutely have to address allowing us to let things play out with the 3C and see if a better opportunity comes along as the summer develops.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think he more meant a position of strength not in terms of assets to trade, but in terms of timing and overall team situation. Given the overall strength of our team and back-to-back cups, we really just have the one hole that we can be patient in addressing as our team can function just fine in the shorter term and we don't have any other positions we absolutely have to address allowing us to let things play out with the 3C and see if a better opportunity comes along as the summer develops.

We're one defenseman injury away right now from Matt Hunwick playing top four minutes.

If Matt Murray gets injured, we are running Niemi as a #1. This is probably the least of our issues.

If Malkin or Crosby goes down we are running Rowney as our #2 center right now.

Multiple teams are looking to acquire centers in CBJ, Montreal, Rangers, Boston, etc. We also have one of the most depleted prospect pools in the league.

If Guentzel goes down or slumps hard you are running a combination of Scott Wilson and Carl Hagelin as our top six LWers.

I don't really see how people can look at this team and see "overall strength", we're basically one solid player short in every position that we were last year and will have to likely move roster players because we didn't sign a UFA center.

I also don't see how people overlook the fact that we won back to back cups on the basis of having a Cullen or Bonino who could step up and do major lifting in the playoffs. Even if you resign Cullen you are risking having him regress.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Sakic is only in the hot seat if he thinks he is/the owners think he is. Unless you think the owners are tired of him - and I think there's murmurs of him possibly being kicked upstairs - you're relying on Sakic being in touch with sanity. That seems a dicey proposition.

I get that we're not in a rush but at some point a move needs to be made. Its one thing if he's waiting for one of five guys to say "Okay", but if we're talking just one guy and that guy is Sakic?

Also, for all we know Jokinen signs somewhere tomorrow. If our leverage is the dying embers of the free agency market, that's pretty weak.

The Gobfather*

May 2, 2014
We're one defenseman injury away right now from Matt Hunwick playing top four minutes.

If Matt Murray gets injured, we are running Niemi as a #1. This is probably the least of our issues.

If Malkin or Crosby goes down we are running Rowney as our #2 center right now.

Multiple teams are looking to acquire centers in CBJ, Montreal, Rangers, Boston, etc. We also have one of the most depleted prospect pools in the league.

If Guentzel goes down you are running a combination of Scott Wilson and Carl Hagelin as our top six LWers.

I don't really see how people can look at this team and see "overall strength", we're basically one solid player short in every position that we were last year and will have to likely move roster players because we didn't sign a UFA center.

I also don't see how people overlook the fact that we won back to back cups on the basis of having a Cullen or Bonino who could step up and do major lifting in the playoffs. Even if you resign Cullen you are risking having him regress.

You just keep finding new things to complain about don't you

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You just keep finding new things to complain about don't you

Not really. Our center depth was our key strength in the last two cup runs. We've replaced Cullen with Rowney which is a huge downgrade and our 3C acquisition is going to be an essential part of whether we can challenge for another cup or not. Rutherford thinking he can out wait the market is pretty preposterous given the amount of teams looking for depth centers. Not to mention the fact nobody wants to help out the best team in the league.

If you move a Dumo or a Maatta for a #3C you basically open up another huge hole in our line-up. We are not "trading from a position of strength" in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad