Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
JR doesn't seem to want anymore contracts longer than 3 years. Maybe Dumo, but I can't see him bringing in anyone with one year (same situation next year) or more than 3 years left on their contract. 2 years or 3 years is probably the sweet spot. Maybe they include RFA's in that group.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
JR doesn't seem to want anymore contracts longer than 3 years. Maybe Dumo, but I can't see him bringing in anyone with one year (same situation next year) or more than 3 years left on their contract. 2 years or 3 years is probably the sweet spot. Maybe they include RFA's in that group.

Makes sense I think to have contracts at that length, most of our young guys will be re-signed by the end of the next two years. Few prospects might come through too.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm just really damn curious who JR had as his 5 targets and which ones are "the prices are too high right now".

Duchene's obvious but JR has probably got an offer in and thats that. Probably moved on but he may be waiting to see where he lands first cuz that coud open up more trade possibilities. But even then i don't see a whole lot unless he lands in CAR.

BOS - can put him at wing or C with Bergeron, Krejci, Backes already there. Mayyybe they move on from Krejci or Backes but doubtful. Both salaries are way too much for us to handle.

CAR - would be the only obvious one where they'd probably move on from Staal. But again, thats a maybe.

CBJ - They'd run Duchene, Wennberg, Duby down the middle. Need a top flight C anyway.

MTL - same. Need a top flight C anyway. Maybe move on from Plekanec.

NSH - same deal. They'd run RyJo, Duchene, Bones down the middle. Very highly doubt they trade Jankrok who's locked in to a great deal.

NYI - same sorta deal. would run Tavares, Duchene, Barzal/Cizikas down the middle.

NYR - same. Duchene, Zibanejad, Hayes/Desharnais down the miiddle.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, something to be said about playing with Sid though, as opposed to Burakovsky I believe was like a 3rd line guy?

He'll be getting top 6 min now though.

I don't care who you are playing with if you get 53 points in 61 games with little PP time that is impressive.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bringing Staal back into the core wouldn't be a horrible thing.

Only guys locked up for more than 3 years would be Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel, and Staal.

That's a pretty good core going forward.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bringing Staal back into the core wouldn't be a horrible thing.

Only guys locked up for more than 3 years would be Malkin, Crosby, Letang, Kessel, and Staal.

That's a pretty good core going forward.

Have to possibly lose PH or choose between Phil and Sprong/Guentzel at some point though.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Have to possibly lose PH or choose between Phil and Sprong/Guentzel at some point though.

Easy pass on Horny then. I don't trust his body for another 4 or 5 years. His play style just doesn't mesh well with being over 30.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hornqvist's play style may make that a moot point, by then.

We better replace him in the next year. He's an important part of the puzzle.

I still think he can play his game for several more years. He doesn't rely on speed or hands. He's always going to have his psycho mentality. And net front players tend to stay productive well into their thirties.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I was hoping Sheary and Dumo's deals would be done by now. It seems like the projected cap hits for each of them vary pretty wildly, and that might be reflected in the negotiations.

Could be what's holding up the 3C talks too.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I'm just really damn curious who JR had as his 5 targets and which ones are "the prices are too high right now".

Duchene's obvious but JR has probably got an offer in and thats that. Probably moved on but he may be waiting to see where he lands first cuz that coud open up more trade possibilities. But even then i don't see a whole lot unless he lands in CAR.

BOS - can put him at wing or C with Bergeron, Krejci, Backes already there. Mayyybe they move on from Krejci or Backes but doubtful. Both salaries are way too much for us to handle.

CAR - would be the only obvious one where they'd probably move on from Staal. But again, thats a maybe.

CBJ - They'd run Duchene, Wennberg, Duby down the middle. Need a top flight C anyway.

MTL - same. Need a top flight C anyway. Maybe move on from Plekanec.

NSH - same deal. They'd run RyJo, Duchene, Bones down the middle. Very highly doubt they trade Jankrok who's locked in to a great deal.

NYI - same sorta deal. would run Tavares, Duchene, Barzal/Cizikas down the middle.

NYR - same. Duchene, Zibanejad, Hayes/Desharnais down the miiddle.

I think it is between us and CBJ. Maybe another team sneaks in, but I agree in that I don't think JR actually struck out 5 times. I think he has an offer in and is prepared to wait it out to see what happens. Maybe banking on Duchene not going back to Colorado.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Thought that was a really good deal for them but idk. He hasn't scored more than 38 pts, I thought for some reason he's hit like 50.

But only 3 seasons and he's young, guess kinda standard for a guy like that?

Certainly going to get the chance to do that this year. Washington has 5.5m in cap space and needs 2xD, 2xF and Grubauer signed. Even if those 4 skaters only take 750k each, that's still 3m gone. And Grubauer is either going to cost ~1.5m (if not more) or they'll trade him and sign someone who makes peanuts. But out of that 5.5m, they're basically ****ed.

If guys like Burakovsky and Barber and company are going to step up, next season is when they need to do it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, Sheary could easily ask for more than Burakovsky, healthy scratches or not. Production is production and it usually = dollars.

We'll see what happens now, but I don't think Sheary will be as cheap as we think. Maybe he'll accept a one-year deal, hopefully.

Burakovsky has a history of production though that Sheary just doesn't have. Bura had 38 points last year and 35 this year (44pt pace). Sheary has 3/4 of 1 season. We saw the exact same thing play out with Hoffman 2 summers ago when he scored 29g and 47 pts (off the top of my head), in a great breakout season. He wanted a long term deal, Ottawa wasn't interested and it went to arbitration. He received a 1x2m award. Sheary did a little better and add in some inflation... and that's the type of contract he'll likely receive.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Filppula would actually be a good replacement for Bonino. Skilled enough offensively, but solid defensively. And since this is his final year, you can always move on from him next year if he doesn't pan out.

Honestly, part of me wishes there was a way that JR could have made a deal with Yzerman surrounding him before they moved him to Philly. So instead of them moving him to Philly, that they would have waited until after the playoffs, and sent him to us. Not sure how we'd fit in his 5m cap hit, but for 1 season I think it would be workable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Guerin is the GM. Unless you mean for Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make any sense in the context of WBS signings. Not sure what you meant?

No one needs to relax because no one is freaking out. Let's try to move away from the whole "HF is freaking out" canard.

It is perfectly reasonable to look at JR's potential replacement and assess where he may differ from JR and Botterill. Whether they make a great AHL D is only a small part of that discussion. After all, it's July 4, and we've already recycled conversations of all existing potential 3C's.

For the record, I like what I've read about the signings and look forward to camp.

Amen to that.

I do think people are being a little quick to focus on one aspect here. Guerin started with Corrado, Prow, Taylor, Zink and potentially Bengtsson as AHL dmen. They're all puck moving guys, none of them that big. They need their Dumo-types as well as their Schultz-types. It's not like there's nobody down there who can step up and move a puck or he's just got a bunch of huge guys down there.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Ok, heres my C big board.

Available to probably most available list:

ANA - Vermette - 1.75Mx1yr
CGY - Stajan - 3.125Mx1yr
COL - Soderberg - 4.75Mx3yrs but with Duchene on the way out, maybe they keep him.
COL - Duchene - 6Mx2yrs
DET - Helm - 3.85Mx4yrs
DET - Sheahan - 2.075Mx1yr
DET - Glendenning - 1.8Mx4yrs - 4C material
PHI - Filppula - 5Mx1yr
SJ - Tierney - RFA Not signed. With Marleau gone, they can use some speedy production on the wing.
TBL - Johnson - RFA Not Signed.
VAN - Sutter - Nope.
VGK - Eakin - 3.85Mx3yrs
VGK - Karlsson - 1Mx1yr
WSH - Eller - 3.5Mx1yr

Maybe to doubtful they are available list:

BOS - Spooner - RFA not signed. Purely offensive C at this point.
CAR - Staal - 6Mx6yrs
CAR - Teravainen - 2.86Mx2yrs
CAR - Ryan - 1.425Mx1yr
DAL - Faksa - RFA Not signed.
DAL - Shore - 870kx1yr
EDM - RNH - 6Mx4yrs - may not be available right now but EDM likely to move before the 18-19 cap crunch.
FLA - Bjugstad - 4.1Mx4yrs - FLA likely moves Demers and not Bjug.
MTL - Galchyenuk - RFA Not Signed. Not a proven NHL C.
NJ - Henrique - 4Mx2yrs
NJ - Zajac - 5.75Mx4yrs
OTT - Smith - 3.25x4yrs
STL - Sobotka - 3.5Mx3yrs
STL - Berglund - 3.85Mx5yrs
TOR - Bozak - 4.3Mx1yr - same thing as RNH. Can keep him this year then likely goes/is let go before the cap crunch.
WPG - Lowry - 1.125Mx1yr
WPG - Perreault - 4.125Mx4yrs - Not exactly a true C now. More of a winger.

Don't believe a guy like Haula or Marchessault are available. If they aren't on my big board^, i feel the same way about them.

Faksa would be my ideal target for 3C, however I'm surprised that people aren't mentioning similar alternatives like Tierney or Lowry often at all. Good on you.

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Why would we go back in time? I'd rather keep Horny, Phil and Spring/Guentzel. Staal makes $6M, not gonna take that kind of salary back for our third line center. Unless we can bribe Ronny to do us a kindness and hold back 2M (not gonna happen).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
For some reason I mistakenly thought Haula signed an extension with Minnesota and then got exposed & taken by Vegas, but it was the reverse. Even still, Vegas has little invested in the guy (i.e. didn't draft & develop him) and I'm sure they'd move him for the right return.

Bjugstad is my first choice, both because of what kind of player he is but also because he could be had for relatively cheap, I feel. Maybe not for a 7th round pick, but considering his cap hit and down year I think he could be landed for something like Wilson & a prospect or higher pick.

Do not want Faksa. Not crazy about his offensive game or upside. I feel like he's too Sutter-ish.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why would we go back in time? I'd rather keep Horny, Phil and Spring/Guentzel. Staal makes $6M, not gonna take that kind of salary back for our third line center. Unless we can bribe Ronny to do us a kindness and hold back 2M (not gonna happen).

I didn't say otherwise. Just stating that if we want Staal rejoining "the core", it's gonna come at the cost of another major forward contributor.

IMO, the core is Sid and Geno. Everyone else is expendable. Maybe include Murray.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it is between us and CBJ. Maybe another team sneaks in, but I agree in that I don't think JR actually struck out 5 times. I think he has an offer in and is prepared to wait it out to see what happens. Maybe banking on Duchene not going back to Colorado.

Who's actually said that Rutherford is definitely hard in on Duchene? There's been some speculation but has there been anything more? I know the Pens are very good at keeping things quiet but its not like news on other organisations in this hasn't spewed all over the place.

Also I hope Rutherford has some good other names on his list because everything on the Colorado end is coming back negatron and Sakic looks like he really is crazy enough to just sit on an unhappy player and keep on rolling. It feels like 50-50 at best that Sakic will sell, nevermind sell to us.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
For some reason I mistakenly thought Haula signed an extension with Minnesota and then got exposed & taken by Vegas, but it was the reverse. Even still, Vegas has little invested in the guy (i.e. didn't draft & develop him) and I'm sure they'd move him for the right return.

Bjugstad is my first choice, both because of what kind of player he is but also because he could be had for relatively cheap, I feel. Maybe not for a 7th round pick, but considering his cap hit and down year I think he could be landed for something like Wilson & a prospect or higher pick.

Haula would probably be the best of fits because of his speed, very good faceoff ability and PKing. That contract is really sexy too. I really wish VGK would trade him but I doubt it.

As for Bjugstad I don't like how he is a bit of a risk seeing how injury prone he is.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I didn't say otherwise. Just stating that if we want Staal rejoining "the core", it's gonna come at the cost of another major forward contributor.

IMO, the core is Sid and Geno. Everyone else is expendable. Maybe include Murray.

I think you have to include Guentzel in that group, for the next 3-4 years atleast. At his contract and point production, his value to the line-up is insane.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

Do not want Faksa. Not crazy about his offensive game or upside. I feel like he's too Sutter-ish.

It is worth nothing that the Panthers chose to protect Bjugstad over Marchessault even with his contract while they were trying to shed money so you would think that prob means they want to hold onto him, but who the hell knows what's going on in Florida.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh

Zero reason to keep Hornqvist. We are loaded with young guys on the right side and his next contract will cost 5.5-6 a year. And that's a huge risk to pay for a guy who's play style is notorious for dropping off in early 30s.

We have Phil, Sprong, Rust and ZAR all on the right side going forward. Also Sheary can play the right side with Sid as well.

Staal@5 would be the dream. Should aim there. If it's not available, move on. But I bet snagging Staal would be a hell lot cheaper than Duchene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad