Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And now Guentzel is heading for superstardom.

If anyone wants to argue for Sprong to start the season in Pittsburgh, they should NOT use Guentzel as part of said argument.

If the Pens want to try to see if lightning strikes twice with Sprong, I am all for it.

We will never know whether Guentzel was NHL-ready when camps broke last year. What we do know is he became even better than we expected, even more quickly.

If they try the same approach with Sprong...

But we were weak on the left side last year.

If healthy Horny, Rust, Kessel and Sheary should all be our RWs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why should both Sheary and Rust be on RW? I feel like suggesting that is just trying to argue against bring in Reaves. There isn't a situation where all 4 of those guys should be on RW.

If you want to look at it like that, then Sheary, Guentzel, Hagelin and Wilson should be your LWers and Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust and Reaves should be your RWers. So I don't really see an issue here. You can easily run with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust/Hornqvist
Hagelin/Wilson-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Hornqvist/Rust
Wilson/Hagelin-Rowney-Reaves

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Judging Reaves on his point totals is sort of like judging Dumoulin on his point totals, then coming to the conclusion that a guy like Cody Franson is a better defenseman and better fit next to Letang than Dumoulin because he scores more points.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Why should both Sheary and Rust be on RW? I feel like suggesting that is just trying to argue against bring in Reaves. There isn't a situation where all 4 of those guys should be on RW.

If you want to look at it like that, then Sheary, Guentzel, Hagelin and Wilson should be your LWers and Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust and Reaves should be your RWers. So I don't really see an issue here. You can easily run with:

Sheary-3C-Hornqvist/Rust

Did not Rust, other than when he was with Sid, play mostly LW; despite the fact he is listed as a RW?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Sheary-3C-Hornqvist/Rust

Wilson goes to RW.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Judging Reaves on his point totals is sort of like judging Dumoulin on his point totals, then coming to the conclusion that a guy like Cody Franson is a better defenseman and better fit next to Letang than Dumoulin because he scores more points.

A little, yeah.

Maybe this is a cunning plan to make us think kinder of the 3C argument. Its certainly working on me.

Although, really, come on, who cares, its minor differences on the 4th line and a bunch of maybes on how it effects the roster. I like an argument as much as the next person but this one has more split hairs than a hippie.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Reaves was brought in to protect our stars and take a regular shift while doing so. Comparing him to Archibald is completely pointless, and I like Archibald.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unless we sign Zaripov or Sprong makes the team.

If Zaripov signs with the Penguins, I think the Penguins will have to trade a winger. Like they're already close to being forced to trade a winger, if not there yet already. Adding another winger basically ensures you have to trade one of Hagelin or Wilson, if not both.

Although if the Penguins sign Zaripov and he's good, that probably means Sprong spends all of this year in the AHL.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

A lot of analytics-only people do do that and it drives me bonkers.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Again. Because who comes out the lineup for Sprong if he goes off and clicks with Malkin? It ain't gonna be Kessel.....it's gonna be Reaves. So the team may not wanna do that and make their trade look bad.

What has this current management group done to support your hypothesis? Look at how many young players have contributed to the past 2 Cups. It appears to me that when an opportunity is there for one of the young guys to step into the lineup the proper moves have been made to accommodate such a move. But oh, look over there.....the sky is falling!! :shakehead

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A lot of analytics-only people do do that and it drives me bonkers.

Yeah, having discussions with those folks is migraine inducing. It's one thing to evaluate players using all tools available, including analytics. It's another when some of these HF posters use nothing but analytics.

It's amazing how 31 teams, all of which seem to have their own analytics staff, have left a guy like Franson on the free agent list this long. HF would have you believe he's a Norris trophy darkhorse just waiting to be scooped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad