2024 NHL Draft Thread | No Picks, No Problems

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
What a dumb trade by the oilers
Very confusing trade. O'Reilly is 4/5 years away so won't help their window. They traded away future draft capital they could've used to acquire pieces to push them over the top. If they want to add a major piece at next year's deadline they basically have to commit to trading the 2026 1st....a year where they might not even have Draisatl.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Very confusing trade. O'Reilly is 4/5 years away so won't help their window. They traded away future draft capital they could've used to acquire pieces to push them over the top. If they want to add a major piece at next year's deadline they basically have to commit to trading the 2026 1st....a year where they might not even have Draisatl.
Yeah, that was a bizzare decision although they could always go full Vegas and trade O’Reilly as part of a package later on but they were likely better off keeping their future 1sts.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
For anyone that cares

Calgary went off the board with our pick
Yeah, most of the Sportsnet panel had no idea who the guy was and the one guy that did was really surprised to see him picked in the first round. It reminded me of our infamous draft moment where everyone was scrambling to find out who Patrick White was.

Reactions: Lindgren

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yeah, most of the Sportsnet panel had no idea who the guy was and the one guy that did was really surprised to see him picked in the first round. It reminded me of our infamous draft moment where everyone was scrambling to find out who Patrick White was.
Or that dude today at 3 ovr literally providing a physical oh my god at the reach for him

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Ugh, that Patrick White pick - never had I ever seen the analysts so stumped as to who a guy was.

“…..or you can pick Patrick White” is still stuck in my head.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand why Sportsnet's Draft Coverage is so damn bland, it's terrible. Show a "Best Available" graphic that says who's still on the board, show some rankings, give us an idea of the prospects before their name is called. Show some organizational depth charts, where does this player fit into this team's system? Maybe some player comparisons to help people understand what type of game these prospects play. Maybe some Team Needs? Give us "behind-the-scenes" or fly on the wall coverage pre-recorded of teams in their war rooms leading up to draft day discussing who they like / want to give fans a glimpse of the inner workings of a scouting department. Something, anything. This coverage is archaic, dated and boring. Announce a name, have some guys talking, announce another name, more guys talking....rinse and repeat.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'll be honest, at the time, I was more than willing to give the benefit of the doubt (as I'd assumed our US amateur scouts had a large hand in the decision). Now if Patrick White was playing in the WHL for example, I'd go....."another Ron Delorme special".

Reactions: Vector

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
In a vacuum I don't really hate the Oilers trade for 32nd overall. If you have a guy rated at 15, and the pick at 32 is available, then sure, make that trade. But... how refined is their list? And I'm not questioning the Oilers scouting ability (even though it's questionable), I'm wondering how much time they actually put towards it when the team was in the cup finals 4 days ago. Because if it's been thrown together quickly, it's probably not as solid as it could be, and you're throwing away a huge bargaining chip at next year's deadline if O'Reilly doesn't have a great year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad