Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I was rooting for Robertson but he wasn’t even garaunteed a roster spot tbh next year. Look at the lineups people were have been posting for months he’s not in a lot of them.

Bert is also quite replaceable tbh. He is slow, his puck skills are suspect. He did some good things but I don’t regard him as much of a loss
Correct.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
$5M with term is a scary deal for a 34 year old D with alot of tough miles on him.

Haven't liked our off-season so far outside of the Domi re-sign.
I guess they can make some moves tomorrow, but so far it's run it back with Tanev instead of Brodie.

Which is an upgrade, but not nearly enough to get them over the hump

Reactions: arso40

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Tanev was one of the best defensive dmans in this years playoffs. I support this signing even if it's 5 mil. If you are unaware how important he was for Dallas, I suggest you do some background reading.

Rielly deserves a proper stay at home partner too. Tanev is perfect for him out of the players readily available. Look for Rielly to push 70 points next season.

Hopefully they cap dump Brodie shortly after, so it's more of a swap than an addition. Nothing at all to complain about in that case. Brodie did not age well. Tanev seems to be aging more like Letang.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So? And they mostly get done…that’s how being an insider works lol

You don't understand the difference Weeks reported Tanev's contract and we are still waiting because Weeks jumped the gun AGAIN.

When CJ reports something like for example Domi's extension it's DONE

When Lebrun reports something it's DONE

Same with Friedman and Dreger

The REAL insiders they make sure it's DONE but they report it's done.

Weeks doesn't do that he jumps the gun.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I guess they can make some moves tomorrow, but so far it's run it back with Tanev instead of Brodie.

Which is an upgrade, but not nearly enough to get them over the hump
How so.

Tanev had zero issues with Eichel and Mackinnon. His pairing was the choice for McDavid as well.

One of our major complaints is we have no partner for Rielly that can handle tough QoC. We are about to sign a D that made it to the third round and had to face the opponents best players.

Tanev 100% will push us closer to the cup for at least the next 2 years. Leafs are very close to finally figuring it out so worry about year 3 or 4 of this deal later. We can only work with the assets available in real time.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I bet he comes in at under $5 million per season over 4 years.
I thought that as well until I considered the team he is dealing with. Tre gave Woll 2 mil over what he is worth. Tre is the exact reason why you don't bring your wife car shopping. "Oh that one is so nice can we get it"? Meanwhile the salesman is in the corner counting his commission. Tre has talked Tanev up so much you can bet the agent has been paying attention. Not sure if you know this but the agents have been bending over the Leafs for a decade now.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Huh? I would pay Pesce 6M. Trades come with Cap retention all time. Literally happens every trade deadline.

We are just in a circular argument. Tanev at 5M beyond 2 years is too much imo. I was personally hoping for a longer contract and lower aav. If we do sign him, I hope he plays incredible.

All the best
I would also take Pesce over Tanev for a variety of reasons the biggest one being age.

I also would have taken Pesce over Domi and Liljegren at 6.75. But I do like Domi though.

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
How so.

Tanev had zero issues with Eichel and Mackinnon. His pairing was the choice for McDavid as well.

One of our major complaints is we have no partner for Rielly that can handle tough QoC. We are about to sign a D that made it to the third round and had to face the opponents best players.

Tanev 100% will push us closer to the cup for at least the next 2 years. Leafs are very close to finally figuring it out so worry about year 3 or 4 of this deal later. We can only work with the assets available in real time.
I have been advocating for Tanev for years.

I just don't believe he helps us score in the playoffs which has been the biggeat issue as far as I can tell

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Just stumbled upon a Reddit post that said Tanev was around 70 ES minutes against Eichel and Mackinnon and let in ZERO goals against.

Maybe I am okay with the 5 mil....
He was awesome in the playoffs. Exactly what we need. Also in the last 3 years he has not missed that many games.

Reactions: Shooter2x

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Can’t tell what would be worse. Leafs wasting a 7th round pick and not signing the guy or signing a really good hockey player. One way or the other people are gonna lose their shit

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
You don't understand the difference Weeks reported Tanev's contract and we are still waiting because Weeks jumped the gun AGAIN.

When CJ reports something like for example Domi's extension it's DONE

When Lebrun reports something it's DONE

Same with Friedman and Dreger

The REAL insiders they make sure it's DONE but they report it's done.

Weeks doesn't do that he jumps the gun.

It does seem like Weekes like to toy with the emotion of Leafs fans, like when he leaked Rielly's suspension. Or more likely, that's how he can grab the most attention / hit rates (cuz we outnumber any other fan base).

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Cue the banjo music.

Treliving is gonna take it like that guy in Deliverance. The way he's been handing out raises you can be sure Tanev is getting a big fat paycheque. Giving a 35 year old injury prone defenseman a mega-million dollar retirement deal.

What could go wrong.

I don't see any reason for anything other than unbridled optimism right now. Good thing Treliving traded those assets to secure Tanev's negotiating rights too. Getting this deal done before Tanev reached free agency was so important.

Another master class in asset management, Toronto Maple Leafs style.

Whatever Treliving does we can be sure it will be at least two things: expensive and stupid. Just trading for Tanev's rights and not signing him before free agency would be stupid enough already. Once Tanev can entertain other offers it can only get more expensive from there on out too.

Tanev's agent getting ready to negotiate...

1000001859.jpg

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I have been advocating for Tanev for years.

I just don't believe he helps us score in the playoffs which has been the biggeat issue as far as I can tell
This is what I don't get; the problem with scoring in the playoffs. Everyone talks about the goaltending and defense, but the team couldn't score goals. Yes, the goaltending needs to be addressed, and the defense needs some tinkering, but this team has been atrocious offensively in the playoffs. That stands out to me more than anything.

Reactions: aingefan and Jojalu

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
I stopped reading after they said a 7th was "expensive". I'm surprised I got that far tbh.
I mean if we don’t sign him I guarantee many will be saying how dumb he is for spending assets blah blah blah. It’s almost a lose lose scenario already in a lot of people’s minds

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Ok thx

Didn’t realize the deadline rule. What was all the fuss about Hyman and Edmonton a couple of years ago?
I believe the Hyman situation was a legitimate sign and trade.the idea was that Hyman would sign an 8 year deal with Toronto and then be traded to Edmonton for a pick. Supposedly, Dubas wanted a third. Edmonton offered a sixth. Or something like that. In the end, no deal was made.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Kind of getting vibes Tanev isn't going to sign here.

We'll see I guess, but the fact they traded for his rights and they haven't been able to sign him prior to the deadline is a red flag in my opinion.

Reactions: TimeZone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad