Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So would something like habs 1st 2025 (top 5 protected) ? I anticipate the habs to get aroudn that.. 10-15 next year. Sounds like something hughes would be into- could be a starting point at the very least.

Zero chance the habs trade their 2025 1st for McGroarty. They didn't even want to trade their 21st overall pick from last draft for him.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Make it Beck and Barron and we'll throw a 3rd coming back your way
problem is Beck's style is what we really lack in our prospect pool and depth chart, Evans plays a similar role (great on faceoffs/defensively) but Beck has higher offensive upside

i would probably do Beck and Barron but i honestly don't see management moving him

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
problem is Beck's style is what we really lack in our prospect pool and depth chart, Evans plays a similar role (great on faceoffs/defensively) but Beck has higher offensive upside

i would probably do Beck and Barron but i honestly don't see management moving him

By the sounds of it Habs have their A pool and B pool of prospects, they wouldn't trade any from the A pool and nothing from the B pool is interesting for Rutger. Then people will say ok how about a B pool prospect and a 2rd pick, completely uninteresting IMO for the Jets. Then people will say how about 2025 1st, but Habs say no to that bc they could still be a bad team next year potentially. Nothing from the Habs tradeable roster players are interesting or fills a need on the Jets. Running out of options here, sounds like that's what happened between the actual two GM's as well.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Montreal had a trade in place if Demidov wasn't at number 5. This comes from the Basu & Godin podcast are who beat writers for the Canadiens. It wasn't for the number 5 pick and with the report from Friedman that the Habs and Jets were talking there is a possibility it was for McGroarty.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think Mailloux and Beck isn't too bad an offer. At the very least, No one is complaining about Beck. Mailloux seems to be the piece that has people divided. Is there a draft pick add that can make this happen, or is Barron and Beck+ another avenue to look at?

I'd like to hear from the Jets fans - someone outlined C and RD as pieces that are needed. Not every team has these. What else could be done?
If Montreal offered BOTH Mailloux and Beck, Chevy takes that IMO.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
By the sounds of it Habs have their A pool and B pool of prospects, they wouldn't trade any from the A pool and nothing from the B pool is interesting for Rutger. Then people will say ok how about a B pool prospect and a 2rd pick, completely uninteresting IMO for the Jets. Then people will say how about 2025 1st, but Habs say no to that bc they could still be a bad team next year potentially. Nothing from the Habs tradeable roster players are interesting or fills a need on the Jets. Running out of options here, sounds like that's what happened between the actual two GM's as well.
I dunno why you're generalizing when i said i would do it (value-wise) and gave the reason why management might not (need-wise).

Things aren't black or white in real world hockey land like they are on HF, there's a lot of grey (teams look to make trades that are close value-wise but work better need-wise). When there's an A prospect that fills a big organizational need then odds are that he won't be a name mentioned in trade talks.

When you're the one making the offer you have the advantage of offering pieces that are expendable to you (which doesn't mean that they're bad), Dvorak is a solid 2 way center who's easily capable of 40-50 points a season but he just doesn't fit MTL's timeline (he was acquired during MB's time to compete).

Beck's upside is what Dvorak can top out at in a good situation but the difference is Beck is young (and developed by the team, there's a certain comfort level between the team and the player) and fits with MTL's rebuild timeline... are the Jets rebuilding or competing? There's no guarantee that Beck can become what Dvorak is, it's just that Dvorak is gonna be gone by the time our contention window kicks in.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If Montreal offered BOTH Mailloux and Beck, Chevy takes that IMO.

No way Montreal even considers that. Both of Mailloux and Beck have a decent chance of being better than McGroarty on their own.

McGroarty is a very flawed prospect and he simply is not a blue chip prospect like some are making him out to be. I like him but he is most likely a middle six forward like Beck with perhaps a little more offensive potential but without the defensive game and speed that Beck brings.

Mailloux is a big, offensively gifted, mobile RD with an elite NHL shot and some meanness to his game and could potentially be much better than McGroarty but the jury is still out on his processor.

All 3 are very good prospects but Montreal combining these two for McGroarty is nonsensical.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Got nothing to do with it
Rossi was drafted ahead of Perfetti and has long been considered the better prospect of the 2. He just had his rookie year and was 2nd in rookie goalscoring

Rossi is a higher end prospect than Mcgroarty and has already shown he can do pretty good his rookie year, scoring 40 points at NHL level. And he's a center, a more valuable position

So no, the wild do not add a 1st round pick by trading a sure thing prospect to add a never played an NHL game prospect to save, what, 1 million in cap space?

They just dump salary elsewhere

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
No way Montreal even considers that. Both of Mailloux and Beck have a decent chance of being better than McGroarty on their own.

McGroarty is a very flawed prospect and he simply is not a blue chip prospect like some are making him out to be. I like him but he is most likely a middle six forward like Beck with perhaps a little more offensive potential but without the defensive game and speed that Beck brings.

Mailloux is a big, offensively gifted, mobile RD with an elite NHL shot and some meanness to his game and could potentially be much better than McGroarty but the jury is still out on his processor.

All 3 are very good prospects but Montreal combining these two for McGroarty is nonsensical.
Habs GM said they we are not looking for lateral moves as those do not make sense and just create a gap in different place. Therefore, I would not even consider Mailloux in this conversation, not even 1 to 1 trade. For Beck, they might be willing to consider that as we also have Kapanen who is very similar prospect. McGroarty is also considered prospect with 2nd line winger potential, so they will not be willing to overpay in current circumstances. Something like Barron, Beck, 3rd would be realistic offer.

Reactions: TT1 and HabsAddict

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Make it Beck and Barron and we'll throw a 3rd coming back your way

Tough one to judge. I'd consider Beck and Barron but the 3rd does not really do anything for us at this point.

Beck has 2C upside. If not, 3C. He's a true type center with great skating/weight at a young age. Not a grade A but certainly a B+ or A-. On the cusp and just turning pro. Big season for him.

Barron is a rare RD with size/skating. And a great shot. Taking him a bit to show maturity on the D side but when he does, he has top 4D potential.

Not sure how good McGroarty will be. I like to try to add him in our forward mix but this is basically a 2/1 deal. Something to think about

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs GM said they we are not looking for lateral moves as those do not make sense and just create a gap in different place. Therefore, I would not even consider Mailloux in this conversation, not even 1 to 1 trade. For Beck, they might be willing to consider that as we also have Kapanen who is very similar prospect. McGroarty is also considered prospect with 2nd line winger potential, so they will not be willing to overpay in current circumstances. Something like Barron, Beck, 3rd would be realistic offer.

Barron and Beck is something we can afford. I agree with your assessment. Tough one for the Habs to make though. 2/1 deal is risky if both Beck and Barron reach potential and McGroarty does not.

Habs also just drafted Hage who looks like a Trocheck type center to me. Koivu as well but we will see if he can develop like Kapanen.

After this last draft, our center pool looks much better. There is a chance we are open to Beck/Barron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad