Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, I really like our wingers, but according to Empo we are going to have Sheary and Jake at 50+ Kessel at 60+ Rust and Sprong at 40+

Are Crosby and Malkin putting up 120+ seasons next year?

Those players pretty much put up those totals this past season when Crosby and Malkin scored much less than 120 points. So why is that unrealistic unless Sid and Geno have career years?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, I really like our wingers, but according to Empo we are going to have Sheary and Jake at 50+ Kessel at 60+ Rust and Sprong at 40+

Why do they have to?

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Thanks, it was actually in the 2nd hour. Here's what Mackey said:

...stuff stuff stuff...
-Wilson and Kuhnhackl are going to be on the bad end of the Penguins winger depth, Mackey wonders if Kuhnhackl will even make the team and thinks JR should trade him
...stuff and things...
Sooo Archibald?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yikes. He best put up some impressive numbers. Being fast is one thing. Overpaying for speed is another. I want him around Sheary numbers before things like that are thrown out. Right now, he's a $2mil player. I'd be willing to do a 2x2 and have the next one be the cash him.

He (Rust) played at a 21g/40pt pace last season. He's not a "2m player" - unless by that you mean anything up to 2.9m. It's possible if he doesn't have a great year this year that we might sign him to a 2x2m contract, but I doubt it. More like a 1x2m deal to take him to FA (July 2019).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why do they have to?

If three of their linemates who don't see the first power play are putting up those types of numbers why wouldn't they.
Those players pretty much put up those totals this past season when Crosby and Malkin scored much less than 120 points. So why is that unrealistic unless Sid and Geno have career years?

The only players putting up those numbers were Kessel and Sheary.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If three of their linemates who don't see the first power play are putting up those types of numbers why wouldn't they.

The only players putting up those numbers were Kessel and Sheary.

Guentzel scored 54 points in 65 total games this year, and Rust was on pace for over 40 points.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He (Rust) played at a 21g/40pt pace last season. He's not a "2m player" - unless by that you mean anything up to 2.9m. It's possible if he doesn't have a great year this year that we might sign him to a 2x2m contract, but I doubt it. More like a 1x2m deal to take him to FA (July 2019).

Sheary just got $3mil. He scored at a 31g/72pt pace. Rust isn't getting $3mil, nor should he.

$2-2.5mil.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good to see Guentzel kill it. It's surreal to have a potentially elite home grown wing. Even more so than having Phil.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Guentzel scored 54 points in 65 total games this year, and Rust was on pace for over 40 points.

So in most people's mind our wingers point totals are going to be..

G (65+) - C - S (55ish)
Hags (25ish) - M - P (70ish)
R (40ish) - 3C - Horny (40ish)
W (20ish) - R - Reaves (15ish)

Is that the assumption?

I can tell why people feel like our wingers make up for Bonino and Cullen if that is the belief.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sheary just got $3mil. He scored at a 31g/72pt pace. Rust isn't getting $3mil, nor should he.

$2-2.5mil.

No, Sheary got less than someone with that production would because he **** the bed in the playoffs for the second year in a row, this past post season worse than the first one he had. :laugh:

Rust, if he plays like he's been playing, is a $3M/yr player. Easily. He brings a lot more to the table than just speed. Think Hagelin, but not the one riddled with injury we saw last season, the one we've seen for years be great in the neutral and defensive zone with a penchant for scoring big goals. Rust has all the capability of being a better version of "Good Hagelin" as well. He may not be a 50-60pt guy putting up 25 goals, but he's a very important part of this team's future imo.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So in most people's mind our wingers point totals are going to be..

G (65+) - C - S (55ish)
Hags (25ish) - M - P (70ish)
R (40ish) - 3C - Horny (40ish)
W (20ish) - R - Reaves (15ish)

Is that the assumption?

I can tell why people feel like our wingers make up for Bonino and Cullen if that is the belief.

Of course, not all of them are going to be playing full seasons, because we're the Penguins.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But if you believe independently despite their centers and usage they are what they put up in terms of PPG this year I can understand why someone would not view Bonino or Cullen walking determental.

I think all of those full season P/G projections are reasonable, particularly since unlike last year we'll presumably have both Letang and Guentzel - both gamebreakers - in the line-up for longer than half a season each this year (and Guentzel glued to Sid rather than moving up and down the line-up).

But who's arguing that losing Bones and Cullen isn't detrimental? Cullen's loss was always going to be impossible to make up for and Bones' replacement hasn't been found yet.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No, Sheary got less than someone with that production would because he **** the bed in the playoffs for the second year in a row, this past post season worse than the first one he had. :laugh:

Rust, if he plays like he's been playing, is a $3M/yr player. Easily. He brings a lot more to the table than just speed. Think Hagelin, but not the one riddled with injury we saw last season, the one we've seen for years be great in the neutral and defensive zone with a penchant for scoring big goals. Rust has all the capability of being a better version of "Good Hagelin" as well. He may not be a 50-60pt guy putting up 25 goals, but he's a very important part of this team's future imo.

I agree. I just want to see a little more production out of him.

He hits 20g/50pt, I'll go $3mil.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think all of those full season P/G projections are reasonable, particularly since unlike last year we'll presumably have both Letang and Guentzel - both gamebreakers - in the line-up for longer than half a season each this year (and Guentzel glued to Sid rather than moving up and down the line-up).

But who's arguing that losing Bones and Cullen isn't detrimental? Cullen's loss was always going to be impossible to make up for and Bones' replacement hasn't been found yet.

I think if you believe Rust, Sheary and Jake are going to score as their PPGs went last year you can bring in a Sheahan like center and expect them to easily hit 30.

I think Sheary and Rust don't drive lines much like I don't believe Dumo, Maatta and Cole can't lead D pairings. Thus, if we pull Sheary or Rust away from Crosby or Malkin we will see a significant dip in their production. I think that will be especially true when you don't have the veteran consistency ( I Know I'm going to get crucified for that) of Cullen and Bonino down the gut.

Jake is the x-factor and I think we will likely see him drift away from Crosby this year if we bring in a mediocre 3C to make up for it much like we saw HBK in 15-16.

Sheary - C - Hornqvist
Hags - Malkin - Kessel
G - 3C - Rust

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

If they call penalties anything like they have been, that's actually possible, for once. Even if guys adjust, if slashes into the hands and stick remain unusable tactics, I don't really know how the hell else you're supposed to pick up 87.

The list of NHL wingers better than Guentzel might be pretty short by the end of this year.

Especially left wings.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I agree. I just want to see a little more production out of him.

He hits 20g/50pt, I'll go $3mil.

Eh, I don't think $3M/yr is going to be anything to lose sleep over when it's time to re-sign Rust. The cap will be up another couple of million, most likely.

I don't think Rust is a 50pt player, but I don't think he has to be to earn $3M/yr. Especially if he continues to come up huge in the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If they call penalties anything like they have been, that's actually possible, for once. Even if guys adjust, if slashes into the hands and stick remain unusable tactics, I don't really know how the hell else you're supposed to pick up 87.

Oh, I already called that.

If they call penalties like they do in the preseason this team is putting up Oilers level numbers in terms of team goals.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Sheary and Rust don't drive lines much like I don't believe Dumo, Maatta and Cole can't lead D pairings. Thus, if we pull Sheary or Rust away from Crosby or Malkin we will see a significant dip in their production. I think that will be especially true when you don't have the veteran consistency ( I Know I'm going to get crucified for that) of Cullen and Bonino down the gut.

I mean, if Sheary or Rust are pulled from Sid/Geno, that's just going to mean more opportunity for a winger like Horny to bump his totals.

As much as I appreciate Cullen and Bones, I don't think their offensive contributions outshine getting Guentzel and Letang for a full season.

Jake is the x-factor and I think we will likely see him drift away from Crosby this year if we bring in a mediocre 3C to make up for it much like we saw HBK in 15-16.

Sheary - C - Hornqvist
Hags - Malkin - Kessel
G - 3C - Rust

Hopefully not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad