Saginaw Spirit 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 2)

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Maybe the folks of Saginaw are more in tuned to the Detroit Tigers season than their team in the Memorial Cup I guess.
It’s 112 miles from Detroit to Saginaw. And the Tigers hosted the Blue Jays at 11:30 this morning. Windsor to Comerica Park is 3 miles. Don’t think the Tigers are hurting attendance.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Fans can buy a tournament package of tickets so it's possible that the empty seats were sold but London or Moose Jaw fans with tournament packages chose not to go?

Reactions: flychairman

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
I don't get this weird obsession with attendance. There was a ton of people inside the dow for all 3 games so far, and the place has been rocking. I'd say the turnout for this American team hosting it has been fantastic.

A lot of fun at the game tonight. Saginaw started out really strong, Drummondville made a couple adjustments, and then Saginaw re-adjusted. Both goalies played exceptionally well.

With Saginaw beating both the WHL and QMJHL league champions, the "back door" attack can be put the rest, as they've bested Drummondville and Moose Jaw.

Ball is back in London's court tomorrow night, should be another great game.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Fans can buy a tournament package of tickets so it's possible that the empty seats were sold but London or Moose Jaw fans with tournament packages chose not to go?
If you look at stubhub there are tickets scattered. There was nothing available for the first 2 games. On Tuesday there are more tickets remaining but not surprising.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't get this weird obsession with attendance. There was a ton of people inside the dow for all 3 games so far, and the place has been rocking. I'd say the turnout for this American team hosting it has been fantastic.

Attendance has often been strange for this tournament. I was fortunate to go to two different MCs away from Windsor and, off memory, tickets were bought during the week. Well, technically, three but couldn't get into the Mississauga one without paying through the nose. If they get lower totals against London or in the finals, then that's different but, until then..

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
I was there and it was full, just like the other two games. Also, the capacity at the Dow is closer to 5,000 these days after modifications were made in the arena like adding party decks.
It was not. You could clearly see tons of seats open. Saginaw has a population of 42841 so if they have 3500 fans at a game that's just over 8% of their entire population. Then you take London that has a population 523000 and they pack in 9090 that's approx 1.7% of our total population. So....Saginaw really is not doing bad at all. I've complained about the attendance here as well but I no longer attribute that to poor fan support. The problem is the location and how it's difficult to draw in fans from neighbouring cities dnd towns. I

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I have gone over the attendance issue ad nauseam. The simple fact is corporate tickets. Right now I can still buy a ticket to most of these games on my wife's company website. They buy up blocks of tickets and offer them to employees... most of whom could give a rats rear about the Memorial Cup. Maybe I should get into scalping! :laugh:

Reactions: Finster8

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I have gone over the attendance issue ad nauseam. The simple fact is corporate tickets. Right now I can still buy a ticket to most of these games on my wife's company website. They buy up blocks of tickets and offer them to employees... most of whom could give a rats rear about the Memorial Cup. Maybe I should get into scalping! :laugh:
Not harping on attendance, but if corporations are buying tickets, those are still tickets sold

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

That and seemingly there are 1000 places to each the games for free in town. Every bar, wnem+, nhl network, viewing parties across the road, people don’t have to buy tickets. Which I mean is a double edged sword

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Everyone is forgetting that the CHL blocks close to 1000 tickets. Those tickets are distributed to all 4 teams and other "Important " hockey people. When you see empty rows at a game they are likely blocks of seats for the other 2 teams family's that are more likely taking part in other stuff away from the arena when their team is not playing. And as well not all " Important " hockey people can go to every game. Once the teams are eliminated their blocks are either opened up for sale or given to again " Important " hockey people. By the time the finals come around they will be hanging from the rafters. Attendance is not a concern at these tourneys.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Not harping on attendance, but if corporations are buying tickets, those are still tickets sold
Yes I agree with you, sold but empty because some of the employees of these large firms have no interest in this event. The same goes on in July with the LPGA Dow Invitational golf tournament, and with the Great Lakes Loons baseball team.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I was there and it was full, just like the other two games. Also, the capacity at the Dow is closer to 5,000 these days after modifications were made in the arena like adding party decks.
TV just showed some empty seats

Agent 53

Sep 4, 2021
Highest reported attendance this year for a Spirit game is 5385.

So still falling short of that.

And these arenas all count sold tickets. Doesn’t matter if there is an ass in the seat or not.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
This attendance BS is this the only thing to bitch about, who cares how does this effect the game. Can you imagine if we lost both games. So the host team has beaten WHL+QMJHL Champions. Not bad for a team that was questioned on being good enough by many on here and a Thread about Saginaw flaws and inability to do the OHL proud, Could the Cup move? They have already and even if we lose IMHO it’s about the young men on the ice. London has a hell of a team, if not us than them. Let’s hear it

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Highest reported attendance this year for a Spirit game is 5385.

So still falling short of that.

And these arenas all count sold tickets. Doesn’t matter if there is an ass in the seat or not.
With respect to attendance, how did your Plymouth Whalers fare in comparison?

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
This attendance BS is this the only thing to bitch about, who cares how does this effect the game. Can you imagine if we lost both games. So the host team has beaten WHL+QMJHL Champions. Not bad for a team that was questioned on being good enough by many on here and a Thread about Saginaw flaws and inability to do the OHL proud, Could the Cup move? They have already and even if we lose IMHO it’s about the young men on the ice. London has a hell of a team, if not us than them. Let’s hear it
Well said. All games have drawn large crowds. And the Spirit are just as good, if not slightly better with a 2-0 record against 2 league champions. We are having a blast. Saginaw was a great selection as host city.

howler2

Apr 9, 2023
Going Wed, can't wait . Go Saggy

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
There was one more interesting thing I had never seen before last night.

Saginaw was the visitor last night against Drummondville.

There was a ceremonial puck drop before the game, with just one puck, and both captains went to “win” the draw. Drummondville’s guy ended up picking up the puck.

Which is probably what should happen based on the spirit (no pun intended) of a ceremonial puck drop - the home team always “wins” the drop.

But since everyone’s favorite captain Haché also went for the puck, I don’t think much thought was given to it ahead of time. I wondered if something would come out of it but it didn’t appear to.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Ive enjoyed the tournament so far. I dont see issues at all. Damn fine team. Never been there but it seems the community is quite supportive.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Looking forward to heading down for the weekend, great team and a great show of tournament well done….

I went to the memorial cup in Saskatoon…. They were about 8000 fans short… this is not the issue in Saginaw!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad