Saginaw Spirit 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
There was one more interesting thing I had never seen before last night.

Saginaw was the visitor last night against Drummondville.

There was a ceremonial puck drop before the game, with just one puck, and both captains went to “win” the draw. Drummondville’s guy ended up picking up the puck.

Which is probably what should happen based on the spirit (no pun intended) of a ceremonial puck drop - the home team always “wins” the drop.

But since everyone’s favorite captain Haché also went for the puck, I don’t think much thought was given to it ahead of time. I wondered if something would come out of it but it didn’t appear to.

Drummondville was considered the "Home" team on the Zamboni end scoreboard too.

Agent 53

Sep 4, 2021
With respect to attendance, how did your Plymouth Whalers fare in comparison?
Not great. Hence the reason they moved. Not enough die hard hockey fans in that area. Mainly folks who would buy Wings tickets.

Weird area for minor league hockey.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
This attendance BS is this the only thing to bitch about, who cares how does this effect the game. Can you imagine if we lost both games. So the host team has beaten WHL+QMJHL Champions. Not bad for a team that was questioned on being good enough by many on here and a Thread about Saginaw flaws and inability to do the OHL proud, Could the Cup move? They have already and even if we lose IMHO it’s about the young men on the ice. London has a hell of a team, if not us than them. Let’s hear it
I’ll cheer for Saggy and any other OHL team. But London?? Sorry can’t do it. Just not in my DNA.
LOL!!

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
Was out at the Lake for the weekend when a couple with green T-shirts walked by, (couldn’t see what was written on them) So I asked if I missed St. Paddy’s day? All they could say was LONDON KNIGHTS. Told them to keep walking.
Lol
Go Spirit!!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The Memorial Cup is not inbedded in Michigan and Saginaw kids minds like, let’s say the Super Bowl. Decent crowds for Saginaw on one of the States biggest Holiday Weekends. PS: The Civic Center and surrounding area looked really super last night. So blessed to have seen my 1st Memotial Cup Game! Stayed with my nephew in Birch Run who also attended.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
There was one more interesting thing I had never seen before last night.

Saginaw was the visitor last night against Drummondville.

There was a ceremonial puck drop before the game, with just one puck, and both captains went to “win” the draw. Drummondville’s guy ended up picking up the puck.

Which is probably what should happen based on the spirit (no pun intended) of a ceremonial puck drop - the home team always “wins” the drop.

But since everyone’s favorite captain Haché also went for the puck, I don’t think much thought was given to it ahead of time. I wondered if something would come out of it but it didn’t appear to.
I loved the ceremonial puck drop that Lindros did this playoffs. After posing for what seemed like an eternity for all the pictures, instead of dropping the puck he just threw it over into the Oshawa captain's feet.

There was no question who was picking up that one.

Reactions: Harley49

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
With Saginaw beating both the WHL and QMJHL league champions, the "back door" attack can be put the rest, as they've bested Drummondville and Moose Jaw.
Saginaw lost in the Conference Final to the eventual OHL Champion. Not only that but clearly Saginaw was superior to the Eastern Conference Champion (Oshawa). IMO there NEVER was a "backdoor" entrance to the Memorial Cup, Saginaw deserved to be there and are representing the OHL just fine. Attendance is solid and from what we are being told the festivities are on par with previous hosts. Well done, however I am sorry to say we (London) will have to spoil the party and win the Memorial Cup!

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Saginaw lost in the Conference Final to the eventual OHL Champion. Not only that but clearly Saginaw was superior to the Eastern Conference Champion (Oshawa). IMO there NEVER was a "backdoor" entrance to the Memorial Cup, Saginaw deserved to be there and are representing the OHL just fine. Attendance is solid and from what we are being told the festivities are on par with previous hosts. Well done, however I am sorry to say we (London) will have to spoil the party and win the Memorial Cup!
"Backdoor" by definition in the junior hockey world simply means that a team has advanced (e.g. to the Memorial Cup) without having won their league title (the preferred means of advancing). In that case, Saginaw has advanced through the "backdoor". We can also discuss how this backdoor entry has fared in the tournament, and it's easy to see that the Spirit have been impressive, have beaten league champions, and are every bit as good as the other entries.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Enjoy tonight. Very rare two OHL teams are 2-0 and it’s in your local building to watch. Your fans have been so welcoming!

Mr Puck

Feb 17, 2019
The Spirit D absolutely gassed in the third period. That's what happens when you only play four D the entire game. What was Lazary thinking.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
The Spirit D absolutely gassed in the third period. That's what happens when you only play four D the entire game. What was Lazary thinking.
The whole team looked gassed in the third after that tremendous push in the 2nd. Tired legs and minds tend to make more mental errors and sometimes that's all it takes. I was worried about London using only 4D the entire tournament and it showed in the second period. The 4 days of rest will be welcomed. Good luck the rest of the way.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
The whole team looked gassed in the third after that tremendous push in the 2nd. Tired legs and minds tend to make more mental errors and sometimes that's all it takes. I was worried about London using only 4D the entire tournament and it showed in the second period. The 4 days of rest will be welcomed. Good luck the rest of the way.
How the heck could Saginaw be gassed in the third period after they had a huge push in the 2nd period, and haven't played in two days until last night's game?? I don't know if Lazary was overplaying his top lines and thinking that the lengthy TV timeouts since the game was nationally broadcast on TSN would give them a bit of breather and boost in the third period. Unfortunately, it didn't work. We will see how Saginaw responds in the Semifinals against Moose Jaw tomorrow.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
How the heck could Saginaw be gassed in the third period after they had a huge push in the 2nd period, and haven't played in two days until last night's game?? I don't know if Lazary was overplaying his top lines and thinking that the lengthy TV timeouts since the game was nationally broadcast on TSN would give them a bit of breather and boost in the third period. Unfortunately, it didn't work. We will see how Saginaw responds in the Semifinals against Moose Jaw tomorrow.
To me, live, they looked gassed. Could be the style London played in the 3rd that didn't allow the Spirit to free-wheel in the O-Zone.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
looking at some M Cup player stats for Saginaw
Dionicio 1assist
Mangone 1 assist -2
Sapovaliv 1 assist -3

some surprises there, all 3 have been missing.

Hardcore Techno

Mar 28, 2018
Unless you win your league, being a mem cup participant is not an accomplishment.

I was a Greyhound fan. I'm so done ! 32 years of nothing !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad