Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Jesus. Yeah, that's about as perfect as you can get. Easily worth 13 and one of our premiums (IE, Kulich/Savoie/Ostlund)

Eh, let's not overplay our hand. 13 OA for just him in a deep draft year. There is no need to go into moving a bigger piece, he's not that established. Hell, start with the more common two 2nd round picks offer, even spreading them out over this year and next.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Eh, let's not overplay our hand. 13 OA for just him in a deep draft year. There is no need to go into moving a bigger piece, he's not that established. Hell, start with the more common two 2nd round picks offer, even spreading them out over this year and next.

While I get that......I also think "what would it have taken me to trade Samuelsson before he was extended"??

And I answer that with "a first plus a premium". Granted, there's a positional block on Schneider......but I can't think Drury would give him away for the standard 2 2nds. Especially given how desperately they need some young (cheap) offensive talent.

Though if you want to start out smaller -- I do wonder if Drury would be more interested in one of our premium forwards instead of 13?

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
While I get that......I also think "what would it have taken me to trade Samuelsson before he was extended"??

And I answer that with "a first plus a premium". Granted, there's a positional block on Schneider......but I can't think Drury would give him away for the standard 2 2nds. Especially given how desperately they need some young (cheap) offensive talent.

Though if you want to start out smaller -- I do wonder if Drury would be more interested in one of our premium forwards instead of 13?
I'd offer up 13 and Isak Rosen immediately.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Thinking about it in terms of scale - Fox, Trouba, Lindgren, Miller all settled in and looking to pay Miller. The difference between Samuelsson cost is that Buffalo had only two other quality defensemen in front of him. Schneider has four. There is no reason to be offering up a premium prospect AND 13OA for that. Do one or the other, but both is extravagant.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There is no reason to be offering up a premium prospect AND 13OA for that. Do one or the other, but both is extravagant.

Fair point. But we're in a position to overpay to ensure we get a guy that is this perfect of a fit. My theory here is that if the scouts come back with a positive review -- be aggressive. Make sure you get the guy that'd be a perfect fit. Don't let another team trump you.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Fair point. But we're in a position to overpay to ensure we get a guy that is this perfect of a fit. My theory here is that if the scouts come back with a positive review -- be aggressive. Make sure you get the guy that'd be a perfect fit. Don't let another team trump you.
Capture.PNG

Forget the scouts, I wonder what Ventura and crew think of him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Tell that to Tage and Cozens, who very very clearly took team-friendly deals.

Tage took a 7 year deal based on 1 year of productivity 5 years into his NHL career. To get that kind of guaranteed cash off of 1 full season is a good deal for TT. I'd try to find a comp, but typically teams would have just waited out for a 2nd year to ensure it wasn't a fluke. Buffalo got it done early, rolled the dice a bit, and got rewarded with some savings based off of Thompson's production this year.

Cozens deal is very much a market deal. I'm going to list the contracts. Cozens 2nd year was less than .5 PPG, where all the other players were in the .66 PPG or better range (Hughes was a little less, but had an injury that slowed him a bit),, so Cozens rated a little lower because of that. Also, should note its a 7 year deal, meaning its one less UFA year ate up, and those are the most expensive years. If you assuming its the 8th year would cost 10M or so, an 8 year, 59.7M....which is just a little under based on his slightly lower production in year 2 of his contract.

Hughes: 8 years, 64M deal
Suzuki: 8 years, 63M deal
Stutzle: 8 year, 66.8M deal
Cozens: 7 year, 49.7M deal

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Johnson rights + for Matt Benning San Jose. Right handed defenseman with a nice contract. Johnson probably is tradable to San Jose, LA and Anaheim.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Thinking about it in terms of scale - Fox, Trouba, Lindgren, Miller all settled in and looking to pay Miller. The difference between Samuelsson cost is that Buffalo had only two other quality defensemen in front of him. Schneider has four. There is no reason to be offering up a premium prospect AND 13OA for that. Do one or the other, but both is extravagant.
just reaching the end of my rope for penny pinching on prospects while top talent goes to conference rivals

they cant even ice all the friggin forward depth they have coming up

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Johnson rights + for Matt Benning San Jose. Right handed defenseman with a nice contract. Johnson probably is tradable to San Jose, LA and Anaheim.

Eh, don't see Anaheim. They're loaded with LHD prospects and NHL players (Fowler, LaCombe, Benoit, Mintuykov, Zellweger, Hinds).

Benning's contract is nice, but is he an upgrade over Boosh? He's certainly not an upgrade over Jokiharju (warts and all).

I kind of see Benning as a right-handed Stillman......do we really need that right now?

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Alright, alright...

I'm curious why he doesn't kill penalties.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eh, don't see Anaheim. They're loaded with LHD prospects and NHL players (Fowler, LaCombe, Benoit, Mintuykov, Zellweger, Hinds).

Benning's contract is nice, but is he an upgrade over Boosh? He's certainly not an upgrade over Jokiharju (warts and all).

I kind of see Benning as a right-handed Stillman......do we really need that right now?

Anaheim is swimming in great defense prospects. The Sharks just picked up a couple in the Meier trade. LA's left side is full at the NHL level and overstuffed on the rightside. It's just more tired "he wants to go home" tripe that has no basis in the reality of him playing in the USHL or four years at Minnesota. If he was such a homebody, he could've hit the portal and played closer to home in Denver or ASU... but he didn't. Gee... maybe it's not that big of a thing?

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's got Fox, Trouba, Lindgren and Miller ahead of him. He probably only kills penalties if one of those are in the box or injured.

That said, some of his fancy stats are troubling for a 3rd pairing guy on a good team.

Mikkola also draws in on their PK. Trouba, Fox, and Lindgren are all close, just over 2 minutes a game. Then Miller and Mikkola, then Schneider at 0:42.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Anaheim is swimming in great defense prospects. The Sharks just picked up a couple in the Meier trade. LA's left side is full at the NHL level and overstuffed on the rightside. It's just more tired "he wants to go home" tripe that has no basis in the reality of him playing in the USHL or four years at Minnesota. If he was such a homebody, he could've hit the portal and played closer to home in Denver or ASU... but he didn't. Gee... maybe it's not that big of a thing?
Yet we have very few defensive prospects and until now has refused to sign. He has a clear path to an NHL roster spot. I don't think that seems to determine where he wants to play.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yet we have very few defensive prospects and until now has refused to sign. He has a clear path to an NHL roster spot. I don't think that seems to determine where he wants to play.

I don't think the idea that he's somehow either getting advice from family or pressure to be in the SW has ever determined where he wants to play either. But it keeps cropping up.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Fox's team spends to the cap and makes the playoffs every year
Makar's team spends to the cap and makes the playoffs every year.

Either would get Karlsson level money on the open market.

They took a team friendly deal.
what else did they do that Dahlin didn’t? I know you know this. How old will they be when they get their next contract? How old will Dahlin be if he signs the same term as them?

what would they make if they took a 3 year bridge deal first for 6 per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad