Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think there's a world where they can get an older top 4 Dman that can be part of the now, while also getting a younger one that can be part of the future. I'm not advocating for Petry as I'm not fond of his play the last several years, but I'm very on board with someone like Tanev.

I think acquiring a younger top 4 will prove difficult right now. However, acquiring a younger RD with top 4 potential and a veteran top 4 as a stopgap until the younger one is ready is a good option from my view. Their oldest Dman is Lyubushkin who just turned 29, and he hasn't even played 300 NHL games yet. By comparison someone like Trouba is the same age and has over 700 games of experience.

I just think they need a vet on the blueline given how young most of them are.
I don't think there's space on the roster for two seperate acquisitions.

And IMO they need a guy to come in to be part of that core group built around Dahlin/Power moving forward.

Not a guy who is a question mark. Not a guy who might give them one or two good seasons before falling off, potentially leaving us in the same position next year or the year after.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I have heard the narrative of "guys that fit the age profile of the core" a ton. So, that is why I put the parameters as guys that are 26yo now.

And my guess is that anyone who is 28-30 and has significant term will get a "that contract won't age well..." reaction a lot of the time.

Expanding the age range to 30 adds 34 more players to the pool of potential trade targets. But, 25 of those 34 have trade protection now or in the future.
Have you seen me push that narrative? There's a HUGE difference between a 28-30 yo & a signing a 35 yo...

You also need to remove the filter for being under contract through 2024-25. I haven't once said we should only target players who are signed long term. Certain posters have - to put it bluntly those posters are wrong.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Right now, there are a few guys that I would love it if Adams were to trade for them on D:

With Calgary needing cap relief, I would not have an issue if they were to trade for Tanev, Weegar, or Andersson. My preferences probably go from the least likely to be traded (Andersson) to the most likely to move (Tanev). But, I would be OK with any of them as the upgrade over Jokiharju in the top 4.

Vegas will have yet another off season where they start out close to the cap. I doubt they move him, but Shea Theodore is the most expensive D they have that does not have any trade protection.

And the Pesce idea in Carolina would be intriguing, even if he is a UFA after next season.

I also wonder if Dumba is a guy that Adams calls on in UFA if he is unable to make a trade before 7/1.
Andersson/Weegar would both be dream signings. If i were to add another guy from Calgary it would be Hanifin instead of Tanev. Any of these guys might be possible if they decide to rebuild.

Theodore would be another dream signing but it seems totally unrealistic.

Pesce would be another great fit. The last time i checked we ARE allowed to offer players extensions....

Dumba would be such a let down consolation prize at this point. With the assets Adams has - not making a trade by then should be a firable offence.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Have you seen me push that narrative? There's a HUGE difference between a 28-30 yo & a signing a 35 yo...

You also need to remove the filter for being under contract through 2024-25. I haven't once said we should only target players who are signed long term. Certain posters have - to put it bluntly those posters are wrong.
Cool, then you can put your list of targets out there...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Andersson/Weegar would both be dream signings. If i were to add another guy from Calgary it would be Hanifin instead of Tanev. Any of these guys might be possible if they decide to rebuild.

Hanifin needs a new contract at a number that's probably more than we're willing to pay him. Tanev would come far more cheaply both in assets and re-sign dollar.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't think there's space on the roster for two seperate acquisitions.

And IMO they need a guy to come in to be part of that core group built around Dahlin/Power moving forward.

Not a guy who is a question mark. Not a guy who might give them one or two good seasons before falling off, potentially leaving us in the same position next year or the year after.
I don't see Adams paying the price to get a guy that fits your scenario. I think we bring in someone thats 28-29 and is a bit cheaper that can do the job. Stay at home defenseman thats solid.

I just don't see Buffalo trading its 1st rounder or A prospects to get a top 4 defender under 26 years old.

I think they try to get one of Mayfield Serverson or Gudas.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't see Adams paying the price to get a guy that fits your scenario. I think we bring in someone thats 28-29 and is a bit cheaper that can do the job. Stay at home defenseman thats solid.

I just don't see Buffalo trading its 1st rounder or A prospects to get a top 4 defender under 26 years old.
They sure seemed like they tried to move that first for exactly that at the deadline. Moving Savoie or Kulich…we know they won’t. But every GM isn’t Arizona’s GM

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They sure seemed like they tried to move that first for exactly that at the deadline. Moving Savoie or Kulich…we know they won’t. But every GM isn’t Arizona’s GM
Really? I never heard. What defenseman were they targeting with that 1st rounder?

Adams is tight lipped so I missed which player they were targeting. Would be cool to know.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Right now, there are a few guys that I would love it if Adams were to trade for them on D:

With Calgary needing cap relief, I would not have an issue if they were to trade for Tanev, Weegar, or Andersson. My preferences probably go from the least likely to be traded (Andersson) to the most likely to move (Tanev). But, I would be OK with any of them as the upgrade over Jokiharju in the top 4.

Vegas will have yet another off season where they start out close to the cap. I doubt they move him, but Shea Theodore is the most expensive D they have that does not have any trade protection.

And the Pesce idea in Carolina would be intriguing, even if he is a UFA after next season.

I also wonder if Dumba is a guy that Adams calls on in UFA if he is unable to make a trade before 7/1.
Short List:

Roy
Pesce
Weegar
Schneider
Tanev

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Really? I never heard. What defenseman were they targeting with that 1st rounder?

Adams is tight lipped so I missed which player they were targeting. Would be cool to know.
Adams was way more detailed than ever answering questions on deadline day about Chychrun. He said the ask from Arizona was different for them than Ottawa. Made a point to say teams inquired about Savoie and Kulich and they were non starters. He came off as annoyed they didn’t have a chance to pay what Ottawa did and he was in on Chychrun until the end. Which means…there’s no way our first wasn’t what he was trying to send. They would take it from Ottawa…but wanted an A prospect from us.

I wouldn’t make the deal either. But I would trade that first for Another top 4 d in a heartbeat

Reactions: brian_griffin

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
My read on what Adams said tells me Kulich is slated for Rochester.
I feel the same way. I do think Savoie has a pretty good shot but I'd like to see Kulich in ROC next year ripping it up. By 24/25 Kulich and maybe Kozak or Nadeau could be ready. Having an actual competitive NHL team will allow us to develop young guys and grow assets from within with control.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Hanifin needs a new contract at a number that's probably more than we're willing to pay him. Tanev would come far more cheaply both in assets and re-sign dollar.
I don't necessarily think that's a problem. I don't see Hanifin commanding more than some of the other names discussed.

The Eichel thing is a complete non factor. In fact i believe that he has experience with Granato which may even push it the other way....

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I think they try to get one of Mayfield Serverson or Gudas.
Just brutal.

Adams already has more offensive players/prospects than he possibly knows what to do with. And a big huge f***ing hole on the backend because for the most part he's neglected the position during his tenure. A hole that if filled previously - would undoubtedly have seen this team make the playoffs.

The ONLY logical thinking would be suggesting he trade from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness.

We can hate on Adams' plan to bank on Levi in goal. But at least that involves a 21 yo highly rated prospect getting games & potentially breaking out.

He doesn't even have a plan on defence. Nothing on the roster, or in the pipeline. Another band aid/reclamation project/overpaid past-it UFA isn't going to get it done.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeremy2020

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cool, then you can put your list of targets out there...
Forgetting about guys i think are completely out of reach :

Potential available due to a defensive logjam:
LA (any number of guys)

Potential rebuild:
Calgary (Andersson, Weegar, Hanifin)
St Louis (Parayko)
Winnipeg (Pionk)

Potential cap crunch:
Boston (Carlo)
Carolina (Pesce)
NY Rangers (Miller, Lindgren Schneider)
Vegas (Theodore/Whitecloud/Hague)
I'm not even going to list Tampa.

Plus there may be other guys that we don't yet know are available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad