Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
How many of those guys do you actually think are available?

The Rangers for example could just as easily trade someone like Goodrow to free up some cap space.
Vegas I would think would be much more likely to trade Martinez versus 3 value contracts they have in Theodore, Whitecloud and Hague.
Carolina has a ton of cap space, don't know that they have any major cap concerns.
Boston I would expect to look at moving Grzelcyk, Forbort or Reilly before Carlo.
Is Mayfield still a viable RD?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If we go with this…that only those who there are rumblings about get moved…gee…Adams really should have made a move on one of those people last year.

There is a massive difference between “this team is cheap” and “this team refuses to make a hockey deal”. But you absolutely have your opinion entrenched and refuse to move off of it even when you’ve been proven wrong.

Like you bitch that the Sabres didn’t acquire Matt Murray. Ottawa was paying to dump him, and he went for nothing to Toronto. Instead of accepting that Murray could decide he wanted to play here, it was just the GM being cheap.

Instead of Adams paying a 1st, Kulich or Savoie, and a 2nd, as the reported ask was, he SHOULD have paid that. Instead of actual return (2023 1st, 2024 & 2025 2nd [the original return was 2023 1st, 2024 1st [if Ottawa makes the Eastern Conference Finals this year] and a 2025 2nd]) you just go full Tim Murray.

I agree with that approach, because I’d absolutely overpay on some names that have been floated out there as maybe being available. But I’m not ever going to have a problem with not overpaying for somebody with a NTC/NMC, or an opposition GM thinking the Sabres are ripe for the picking.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If we're making lists and checking them twice:

Specifically guys who play on the right side -

Brandon Carlo - With a possible cap crunch in Boston they may need to make moves though I doubt he's available in trade within the division but he's a fine RD.
Kyle Clifton - UFA who plays with the snarl they've wanted out of some of their depth guys but a slice above all of Stillman/Lyubushkin/Fitzgerald
Damon Severson - UFA who has been a very solid 2-way guy for the Devils for a long time, seemingly about to be squeezed out of Jersey's lineup.
Will Borgen - My desire, not indicative of his ability to play 2nd pairing minutes or even if he's available from Seattle. I want Spud back.
Mackenzie Weegar - The new contract is a doozy and flies in the face of what Adams has said, but his rush defense and in-zone defense are better than anything the Sabres have had in almost 15 years in that regard.
Matt Roy - Would have to be in trade, LA trying to make room for their influx of talented prospects.
Connor Murphy - The Hawks are in the throws of the tank, and this guy has been on the acquire list now for so long it feels like a Regier trade in the making.
Dante Fabbro - History as Josi's partner, potentially on the outs in Nashville who are shuffling things around.
Matt Dumba - UFA who probably gets more money than I would be comfortable with.
Chris Tanev - Trade protection aside, he did play at RIT and he's from Ontario. Then there is his age and that he will be hurt/miss at least 20 games a season.
Scott Mayfield - UFA who probably gets too much in term/AAV and plays in a highly structured team on the Island.
Jordan Spence - Also a trade and one of the few non-roster guys who intrigues me.
Braden Schneider - Very young and while more proven than Spence, I like Spence more at the moment.

Now for the alternate idea of finding a partner for Dahlin and shifting Samuelsson to Power's pair:

Nikita Zadorov - Yes, I'm sober. Yes, he has struggled on less structured teams. Yes, there is only one season until he hits UFA. Yes, he is physically dominant and a bit of a dumbass at times. Yes, he says he enjoyed his time in Buffalo and felt the organization and the owners treated him top notch when he was here the first time. No, this isn't only because he might put the snarl into the blueline that is clearly missing, but it would be entertaining as f***.
Erik Brannstrom - Dahlin's old U20 partner who is nothing like a face smashing baby eater, but he's actually been good at defense in a depth role for the Sens... This? This would be a gamble but man, I would be interested in making that bet.
Samuel Girard - Cup winning, signed for $5M for a while yet, long-standing possible move from the Avs has been floated around... and they already have a uniform that would fit if they cut Bryson loose.
I nearly added Brannstrom & Girard to my list too.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
With the talk about Levi potentially getting the starters load (45ish games) I wanted to post this. There have been 16 age 21 goalies that have played in the NHL for more than 10 games and posted a .900 or better. If we want to see if there are any comparables for 41 games or more, there are 8 total in NHL history. Betting on Levi to do this, as good as he is, would be a top 1% outcome.

View attachment 690744
Data hasn't stopped Adams from making terrible goalie decisions before and he won't stop now.
He should probably delegate goaltending evaluation, signings, extensions and trades.

I don't know much about our goalie coaches but it's probably time to show them the door just based on results.

Go with the blind guy that cost us playoffs
Letting Ullmark walk (didn't seem as bad at the time)
And then just throwing shit at the wall...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Post-presser:

If they want to re-sign Z and Okposo (and I understand the reasons why)...

...Greenway is not the replacement for Olofsson. Gotta do better than that.

I wanted to come back to this. Replacing Vic isn't about replacing his goals individually. His prime offensive minutes on the PP will get soaked up by Quinn or Peterka. What Greenway vs. Olofsson points to is the difference in 5-on-5 play. Even with how terrible Greenway's year was last season, he was only outscored by 4 goals at 5-on-5. Olofsson? Thirteen. Yeah, it's likely that they score fewer goals but the improvement is that they likely don't give up as many either when each is on the ice.

Reactions: Jacob582

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I wanted to come back to this. Replacing Vic isn't about replacing his goals individually. His prime offensive minutes on the PP will get soaked up by Quinn or Peterka. What Greenway vs. Olofsson points to is the difference in 5-on-5 play. Even with how terrible Greenway's year was last season, he was only outscored by 4 goals at 5-on-5. Olofsson? Thirteen. Yeah, it's likely that they score fewer goals but the improvement is that they likely don't give up as many either when each is on the ice.
Not to mention that by the end of the season - VO was essentially the 13th forward.

VO doesn't need to be replaced. Trading him is essentially addition by subtraction.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not to mention that by the end of the season - VO was essentially the 13th forward.

VO doesn't need to be replaced. Trading him is essentially addition by subtraction.

Moving on from him would signal shift in priorities. He had use, the issue is how badly he loses his ice time at ES. Being a PP sniper doesn't make up for getting kicked in the teeth the other 80% of one's ice time. And they have internal replacements for the job that he does do, one of whom is already a better player in his own zone in Quinn.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Data hasn't stopped Adams from making terrible goalie decisions before and he won't stop now.
He should probably delegate goaltending evaluation, signings, extensions and trades.

I don't know much about our goalie coaches but it's probably time to show them the door just based on results.

Go with the blind guy that cost us playoffs
Letting Ullmark walk (didn't seem as bad at the time)
And then just throwing shit at the wall...

He also traded for Levi.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He also traded for Levi.

Levi was a good pickup.

However, the fact he did nothing constructive on resolving the goalie issue in the 2 seasons since also should be pointed out. And the fact that there's a clear development road map for goalies he's considering tossing aside because Levi played well in 5 games should also be noted.

We'll see what happens this summer, but if we go to camp with UPL, Comrie, and Levi in net...it would show Adams shouldn't be trusted with regards to goalies. At all.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Bringing back Okposo could go pretty badly imo. Just from the eye test, he had a hard time keeping up the second half of the season this past year.

What happens if he is even worse in the second half of this upcoming season with another year of age? You can’t really put your captain in the press box, so it’s possible he has to be out there stinking it up. Not good for him or the Sabres.

If he does come back, hopefully he somehow finds another gear. Maybe managing his minutes better will help.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Bringing back Okposo could go pretty badly imo. Just from the eye test, he had a hard time keeping up the second half of the season this past year.

What happens if he is even worse in the second half of this upcoming season with another year of age? You can’t really put your captain in the press box, so it’s possible he has to be out there stinking it up. Not good for him or the Sabres.

If he does come back, hopefully he somehow finds another gear. Maybe managing his minutes better will help.

I'm hoping Okposo simply retires. The elbow to the head he took earlier this year stressed me out, and it's not my noggin.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Levi was a good pickup.

However, the fact he did nothing constructive on resolving the goalie issue in the 2 seasons since also should be pointed out. And the fact that there's a clear development road map for goalies he's considering tossing aside because Levi played well in 5 games should also be noted.

We'll see what happens this summer, but if we go to camp with UPL, Comrie, and Levi in net...it would show Adams shouldn't be trusted with regards to goalies. At all.
He did bring in Comrie, who was absolutely up and down (and dealt with injuries), but was looked at (at the time) as an average pickup. "Nothing constructive" is a hindsight term. He went after a younger backup goalie from a team who had an entrenched starter to see if that guy could take on a larger role. He wasn't able to.

We know development is not linear, but I understand the hesitation around Levi. Adams and Granato know the most about Levi's mental state, which will be important to determine if he is ready to go next year.

I personally think saying Levi was "a good pickup" is incredibly dismissive of the trades success. A first rounder + Levi was an absolute HAUL. To add, that first becoming Kulich is showing them drafting a strong talent with that pick as well. That trade is looking "Great" for us at the moment, with some question on how high the ceiling of the deal can be.

I agree, if we go into camp next year with UPL, Comrie, Levi, I wont be thrilled. However, I trust that Adams and Granato will take a long hard look at these goalies over the next month and start making moves in July.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I tend to agree though with two caveats - they don't have other guys we know can step into that leadership role he's taken on and from a use perspective, Okposo was sixth in 5-on-5 TOI among the forwards. He may have worn out due to use and as the season wore on, the fatigue built and the legs got slower. If they bring him back, they are going to have to resist the temptation to give him that icetime. They absolutely need Quinn and Peterka to take a step. I wonder if they have grown enough to handle the departure of most of their veteran leadership with Anderson's retirement and potentially Okposo not returning. That part is what leaves me with doubt.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He did bring in Comrie, who was absolutely up and down (and dealt with injuries), but was looked at (at the time) as an average pickup. "Nothing constructive" is a hindsight term. He went after a younger backup goalie from a team who had an entrenched starter to see if that guy could take on a larger role. He wasn't able to.

We know development is not linear, but I understand the hesitation around Levi. Adams and Granato know the most about Levi's mental state, which will be important to determine if he is ready to go next year.

I personally think saying Levi was "a good pickup" is incredibly dismissive of the trades success. A first rounder + Levi was an absolute HAUL. To add, that first becoming Kulich is showing them drafting a strong talent with that pick as well. That trade is looking "Great" for us at the moment, with some question on how high the ceiling of the deal can be.

I agree, if we go into camp next year with UPL, Comrie, Levi, I wont be thrilled. However, I trust that Adams and Granato will take a long hard look at these goalies over the next month and start making moves in July.
Unless Adams has an out of character off season, I expect them to go into camp with UPL, Comrie, and Levi.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Unless Adams has an out of character off season, I expect them to go into camp with UPL, Comrie, and Levi.

I'd bet 100 bucks that this is the plan. I guess...UPL and Comrie can only be better next season. Right? Can't be worse. Right?

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Here is the issue. We went into last season needing a starter.

Anderson was balls in 2021-22. He was 58th in goals saved above average. 58th.

Not only did Adams bring him back, he gave him a raise.

Who did he sign to play WITH anderson, a guy who shouldn't be playing in the NHL?

A backup who was regularly on waivers the past two seasons.

And yes, his numbers were fine with Winnipeg...but when the goalies in the system are:

- A young goalie struggling at the AHL level
- An old goalie who was, to be blunt, one of the worst goalies in the league the year before

And your choice is to sign a guy with 27 career starts?

I'd be fine with signing Comrie if your other goalie pickup was someone like Husso or a Vanacek/Samsonov type who was a tandem goalie previously and you wanted to give Comrie a shot at more starts....that would have been fine.

But when your current goaltending is struggling AHL goalie and aspiring retiree, you need someone who will be able to start some games.

So no, what Adams did with the goalies last year wasn't constructive. It was cheap, shortsighted, and cost this team the playoffs.

I'm hopefully they bring in someone from outside to be the starter next year....but lets be blunt:

Adams has needed a goalie every single year he's been a GM. And he has not once made a significant move to address it. 3 full offseasons of needing to add a goalie....and 3 seasons of doing nothing or the absolute bare minimum. He spent half his press conference talking about how wonderful and amazing Levi is.

I don't have any faith he's going to suddenly start addressing the goalies in a meaningful way when he's ready to give Levi the starting job

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Here is the issue. We went into last season needing a starter.

Anderson was balls in 2021-22. He was 58th in goals saved above average. 58th.

Not only did Adams bring him back, he gave him a raise.

Who did he sign to play WITH anderson, a guy who shouldn't be playing in the NHL?

A backup who was regularly on waivers the past two seasons.

And yes, his numbers were fine with Winnipeg...but when the goalies in the system are:

- A young goalie struggling at the AHL level
- An old goalie who was, to be blunt, one of the worst goalies in the league the year before

And your choice is to sign a guy with 27 career starts?

I'd be fine with signing Comrie if your other goalie pickup was someone like Husso or a Vanacek/Samsonov type who was a tandem goalie previously and you wanted to give Comrie a shot at more starts....that would have been fine.

But when your current goaltending is struggling AHL goalie and aspiring retiree, you need someone who will be able to start some games.

So no, what Adams did with the goalies last year wasn't constructive. It was cheap, shortsighted, and cost this team the playoffs.

I'm hopefully they bring in someone from outside to be the starter next year....but lets be blunt:

Adams has needed a goalie every single year he's been a GM. And he has not once made a significant move to address it. 3 full offseasons of needing to add a goalie....and 3 seasons of doing nothing or the absolute bare minimum. He spent half his press conference talking about how wonderful and amazing Levi is.

I don't have any faith he's going to suddenly start addressing the goalies in a meaningful way when he's ready to give Levi the starting job
You're also assuming goalies wanted to sign here OR the trade compensation was remotely reasonable. He did try to get a Murray but that was vetoed. It sounds like he was looking to upgrade but Comrie was the only one who would sign.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think for board sanity we should outlaw any posts about being cheap, no outside improvements etc until after FA. The nonstop reiteration of the same crap gets old. Talk about potential targets via trade or FA but the woe is me shit and not spending to the cap is constantly repeated
When that is what Adams has consistently done, I get it.

Adams has been patient and relied way more on growth from within than outside additions. I'd love for Adams to actually land meaningful players to address the big needs that this roster has. And I would love for the team to not lead the NHL in unused cap space for a third straight season.

But at this point, Adams needs to show me.

Reactions: RefsIdeas

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I think for board sanity we should outlaw any posts about being cheap, no outside improvements etc until after FA. The nonstop reiteration of the same crap gets old. Talk about potential targets via trade or FA but the woe is me shit and not spending to the cap is constantly repeated

Like during/just before the trade deadline the absolute ASSURANCE and meltdowns that the team wasn't going to do anything at all. People just cannot seem to wait and stay level.

Reactions: joshjull

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Because.

Adams.

Constantly.

Repeats.

It.

if you want to live in fantasy land there is a positive thoughts thread somewhere where you can play make pretends to your hearts content. I’d suggest getting as much time as you can there now. Thread will be very lonely come training camp.

Reactions: RefsIdeas

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You're also assuming goalies wanted to sign here OR the trade compensation was remotely reasonable. He did try to get a Murray but that was vetoed. It sounds like he was looking to upgrade but Comrie was the only one who would sign.

That's the GMs job though. 3 offseasons needing a goalie. Three. One off season you might be able to make an excuse the market sucked, etc. But 3 offseasons (and now 3 full seasons) The most significant signings were a goalie that was on a practice squad the year before and a career backup who was regularly waiver bait.

The part of the GM job that Adams has been absolute dogshit at is identifying problems with his current roster and fixing them. He's done well at gathering assets and developing players. But in terms of roster construction, identifying issues, and actually resolving the issues? Horrid record.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That's the GMs job though. 3 offseasons needing a goalie. Three. One off season you might be able to make an excuse the market sucked, etc. But 3 offseasons (and now 3 full seasons) The most significant signings were a goalie that was on a practice squad the year before and a career backup who was regularly waiver bait.

The part of the GM job that Adams has been absolute dogshit at is identifying problems with his current roster and fixing them. He's done well at gathering assets and developing players. But in terms of roster construction, identifying issues, and actually resolving the issues? Horrid record.
If he didn’t win the lottery in a year where Power was the consensus 1… we’d be sitting here in a much worse spot on D. Because he aint done f*** all there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad