Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perry Tegula

Yes... that'll do
Dec 7, 2022
If we're making lists and checking them twice:

Specifically guys who play on the right side -

Erik Brannstrom - Dahlin's old U20 partner who is nothing like a face smashing baby eater, but he's actually been good at defense in a depth role for the Sens... This? This would be a gamble but man, I would be interested in making that bet.

Now THAT is interesting. Top pair with Dahlin? Bump Sammy down.

Schneider. I'd dangle 13 + Joker if the analytics department sees him as a longterm 2 RHD fit.

NYR fans seem split on him and acknowledge he is a project that was in neutral this season.

I actually think Joker could fit really well in Gotham but that's Commissioner Gordon's problem.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think for board sanity we should outlaw any posts about being cheap, no outside improvements etc until after FA. The nonstop reiteration of the same crap gets old. Talk about potential targets via trade or FA but the woe is me shit and not spending to the cap is constantly repeated
I try but it's the third year I feel the same. If Adams could just break his own pattern I'd be super happy.

On a more constructive note I think Backlund is an ideal replacement for Okposo. Vet but with skill enough to play top 6 minutes and balance the roster.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Because.

Adams.

Constantly.

Repeats.

It.

if you want to live in fantasy land there is a positive thoughts thread somewhere where you can play make pretends to your hearts content. I’d suggest getting as much time as you can there now. Thread will be very lonely come training camp.

You.

Constantly.

Repeat.

Yourself.

We know. You just know Terry is cheap and everything is driven by money. How many times can we read it? And nothing is going to happen until after the playoffs at the soonest, and we have two months of those to go. Reading (or typing) "Pegula is cheap! Adams is dumb! The season was a failure!" over and over does no one any good.

We have the draft and "Free Agent Frenzy" (TM) to go. Then camp. Lots of time to make changes.

I'm personally looking forward to the Development Camp and Rookie Showcase much more than any changes to the roster.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Here is the issue. We went into last season needing a starter.

Anderson was balls in 2021-22. He was 58th in goals saved above average. 58th.

Not only did Adams bring him back, he gave him a raise.

Who did he sign to play WITH anderson, a guy who shouldn't be playing in the NHL?

A backup who was regularly on waivers the past two seasons.

And yes, his numbers were fine with Winnipeg...but when the goalies in the system are:

- A young goalie struggling at the AHL level
- An old goalie who was, to be blunt, one of the worst goalies in the league the year before

And your choice is to sign a guy with 27 career starts?

I'd be fine with signing Comrie if your other goalie pickup was someone like Husso or a Vanacek/Samsonov type who was a tandem goalie previously and you wanted to give Comrie a shot at more starts....that would have been fine.

But when your current goaltending is struggling AHL goalie and aspiring retiree, you need someone who will be able to start some games.

So no, what Adams did with the goalies last year wasn't constructive. It was cheap, shortsighted, and cost this team the playoffs.

I'm hopefully they bring in someone from outside to be the starter next year....but lets be blunt:

Adams has needed a goalie every single year he's been a GM. And he has not once made a significant move to address it. 3 full offseasons of needing to add a goalie....and 3 seasons of doing nothing or the absolute bare minimum. He spent half his press conference talking about how wonderful and amazing Levi is.

I don't have any faith he's going to suddenly start addressing the goalies in a meaningful way when he's ready to give Levi the starting job
After witnessing the ease at which Adams has seemingly handed Levi the starter's role since signing - I'm starting to think that Adams' inactivity - at least for the past two offseasons - has been largely motivated by the fact that he's seen Levi as the only solution in goal since acquiring him.

He's avoided giving up assets in a trade for someone else. He's avoided giving a FA any meaningful salary or term. He was also - smartly - quick to trade away Portillo given the opportunity.

I really don't think it has anything to do with being cheap, or especially poor evaluation. It's simply knowing deep down Levi is his guy & he hasn't wavered from that...

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I don’t see how

Using % of the cap as a direct comparison only works comparing like to like. Dahlin with only 1 yr of RFA left is a different situation than Fox signing with 3 RFA years left (Or Makar with 4 left for that matter). Dahlin has WAY more leverage.

Fox only played 2 seasons (D+4 and D+5) before his extension. Dahlin outperformed him in both of his comparable seasons. Dahlin is the only one of the two at that point of their careers with a 70+ point full NHL season. Fox showed he had the potential for it but hadn’t done it yet. That came after the extension.

I feel sometimes Dahlin is being punished in these discussions for being in the NHL immediately as a 18yr old. I don’t think it’s intentional, just that posters forget. Or don’t factor it in when doing these comparisons.
I mean how can you blame posters if even the so called media is not able to do so

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
When that is what Adams has consistently done, I get it.

Adams has been patient and relied way more on growth from within than outside additions. I'd love for Adams to actually land meaningful players to address the big needs that this roster has. And I would love for the team to not lead the NHL in unused cap space for a third straight season.

But at this point, Adams needs to show me.
I mostly agree with this.

The one ray of hope that I'm clinging on to is that he was so widely reported to be in on Chychrun - that he HAS to know that he can't improve the top 4 from within.

So I'm expecting a move there.

But other than juggling around some 4th line guys (depending on Girg/Jost/KO resigning or not) i don't expect any other meaningful moves.

As discussed in the goatlending thread - i hope that another goalie is acquired to replace UPL/Comrie - but that is likely wishful thinking.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If we're making lists and checking them twice:

Specifically guys who play on the right side -

Brandon Carlo - With a possible cap crunch in Boston they may need to make moves though I doubt he's available in trade within the division but he's a fine RD.
Kyle Clifton - UFA who plays with the snarl they've wanted out of some of their depth guys but a slice above all of Stillman/Lyubushkin/Fitzgerald
Damon Severson - UFA who has been a very solid 2-way guy for the Devils for a long time, seemingly about to be squeezed out of Jersey's lineup.
Will Borgen - My desire, not indicative of his ability to play 2nd pairing minutes or even if he's available from Seattle. I want Spud back.
Mackenzie Weegar - The new contract is a doozy and flies in the face of what Adams has said, but his rush defense and in-zone defense are better than anything the Sabres have had in almost 15 years in that regard.
Matt Roy - Would have to be in trade, LA trying to make room for their influx of talented prospects.
Connor Murphy - The Hawks are in the throws of the tank, and this guy has been on the acquire list now for so long it feels like a Regier trade in the making.
Dante Fabbro - History as Josi's partner, potentially on the outs in Nashville who are shuffling things around.
Matt Dumba - UFA who probably gets more money than I would be comfortable with.
Chris Tanev - Trade protection aside, he did play at RIT and he's from Ontario. Then there is his age and that he will be hurt/miss at least 20 games a season.
Scott Mayfield - UFA who probably gets too much in term/AAV and plays in a highly structured team on the Island.
Jordan Spence - Also a trade and one of the few non-roster guys who intrigues me.
Braden Schneider - Very young and while more proven than Spence, I like Spence more at the moment.

Now for the alternate idea of finding a partner for Dahlin and shifting Samuelsson to Power's pair:

Nikita Zadorov - Yes, I'm sober. Yes, he has struggled on less structured teams. Yes, there is only one season until he hits UFA. Yes, he is physically dominant and a bit of a dumbass at times. Yes, he says he enjoyed his time in Buffalo and felt the organization and the owners treated him top notch when he was here the first time. No, this isn't only because he might put the snarl into the blueline that is clearly missing, but it would be entertaining as f***.
Erik Brannstrom - Dahlin's old U20 partner who is nothing like a face smashing baby eater, but he's actually been good at defense in a depth role for the Sens... This? This would be a gamble but man, I would be interested in making that bet.
Samuel Girard - Cup winning, signed for $5M for a while yet, long-standing possible move from the Avs has been floated around... and they already have a uniform that would fit if they cut Bryson loose.
Great post.

I think Roy is possible to get in a trade. Fabbro as well but less so depending on what Trotz wants to do. If he aligns with Hynes, then Fabbro could be available.

Very much on board with the Borgen idea. Teams need Brendan Smith types on their 3rd pairs to hold serve. Borgen can be that guy.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I mostly agree with this.

The one ray of hope that I'm clinging on to is that he was so widely reported to be in on Chychrun - that he HAS to know that he can't improve the top 4 from within.

So I'm expecting a move there.

But other than juggling around some 4th line guys (depending on Girg/Jost/KO resigning or not) i don't expect any other meaningful moves.

As discussed in the goatlending thread - i hope that another goalie is acquired to replace UPL/Comrie - but that is likely wishful thinking.
For me, the Chychrun conversations don't give me that much hope.

Adams knew they had a need. And he didn't pull the trigger because he didn't want to give up a good young forward prospect and/or he had orders from higher up to not take on salary.

If either of those are the case, then adding a top 4 D of note will need Adams to have the budget to make the move and he will need to be willing to part with the future assets that get a deal done.

It could play out that Adams ends up valuing Savoie, Kulich, and future 1st round picks more than an immediate help on D.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
After witnessing the ease at which Adams has seemingly handed Levi the starter's role since signing - I'm starting to think that Adams' inactivity - at least for the past two offseasons - has been largely motivated by the fact that he's seen Levi as the only solution in goal since acquiring him.
Wouldn't it have been Granato and the coaching staff that "handed Levi the starter's role"?

GMs create the rosters but Coaches decide who plays, which lines to use, and TOI.

I think Levi becoming the defacto starter at year's end is more about Granato not having faith in his other options. (Plus, you know, his playing so well.)

Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

He's avoided giving up assets in a trade for someone else. He's avoided giving a FA any meaningful salary or term. He was also - smartly - quick to trade away Portillo given the opportunity.

I really don't think it has anything to do with being cheap, or especially poor evaluation. It's simply knowing deep down Levi is his guy & he hasn't wavered from that...

I certainly hope that isn't the reasoning behind it.

I've always simply assumed that Adams didn't particularly care about the actual outcomes of the seasons and was more concerned with player development and keeping the costs low than actual wins and losses. He certainly didn't approach either of the last two offseasons as a man trying to actively improve the team on the ice or resolve issues.

The fact that he actually laughed at a reporter who tried to frame this year as a missed opportunity really points to where his expectations were. The front office sees this season as a rousing success not a disappointment.

However, if Adams was actively kneecapping his own efforts to get a starting goalie because he believed a guy who was 21 years old would be the goalie messiah, that is actually far more unsettling thought than a penny pinching season punter. That would mean he believes he can meet with a 20 year old a few times and thinks he can project him out to the NHL and plans his roster moves according to his projection.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Wouldn't it have been Granato and the coaching staff that "handed Levi the starter's role"?

GMs create the rosters but Coaches decide who plays, which lines to use, and TOI.

I think Levi becoming the defacto starter at year's end is more about Granato not having faith in his other options. (Plus, you know, his playing so well.)
True.

But it's the GM that dictates who those other options are...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I certainly hope that isn't the reasoning behind it.

I've always simply assumed that Adams didn't particularly care about the actual outcomes of the seasons and was more concerned with player development and keeping the costs low than actual wins and losses. He certainly didn't approach either of the last two offseasons as a man trying to actively improve the team on the ice or resolve issues.

The fact that he actually laughed at a reporter who tried to frame this year as a missed opportunity really points to where his expectations were. The front office sees this season as a rousing success not a disappointment.

However, if Adams was actively kneecapping his own efforts to get a starting goalie because he believed a guy who was 21 years old would be the goalie messiah, that is actually far more unsettling thought than a penny pinching season punter. That would mean he believes he can meet with a 20 year old a few times and thinks he can project him out to the NHL and plans his roster moves according to his projection.
I think we need to separate player development & keeping costs down as being independent priorities.

I certainly believe that he had no realistic intention of making the playoffs this year & sees this season as a complete success.

But he does certainly seem to have an infatuation with Levi. He might get lucky with that. Equally - it might come back to burn him.

That same trait could well also explain why - so far - he's shown a strong willingness to hang on to his high end skilled prospects & draft picks vs improving the overall balance of his team in terms of toughness/defence/goaltending . If that willingness turns into stubbornness - that's potentially a problem.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

I wonder what the over/under is on the average age of the 23 man roster on opening night of the 23-24 season?

Reactions: The Blunder Years

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great post.

I think Roy is possible to get in a trade. Fabbro as well but less so depending on what Trotz wants to do. If he aligns with Hynes, then Fabbro could be available.

Very much on board with the Borgen idea. Teams need Brendan Smith types on their 3rd pairs to hold serve. Borgen can be that guy.

The RDs I had sort of in order in my mind. The LDs I added off the cuff. I've had Brannstrom as an odd option that could work if they lean that pair into more offensive roles but that then raises an issue with them not using Stillman for PKing since Brannstrom was down the lineup for PKing time in Ottawa. Not perfect and then there is what to do with Jokiharju. I don't think I would trust a Stillman-Jokiharju pair.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
What do people think the value of Olofsson is? A 3rd round pick? A 5-6 defenseman?

Ship him to Vegas and let him play with his buddy.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I think he is way more likely to go to a tank team with plenty of cap space like Arizona.
I was just thinking maybe they think Eichel will play better with his buddy on his wing so it might be an ideal trading partner. If I am Adams I would at least give Vegas a call.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The RDs I had sort of in order in my mind. The LDs I added off the cuff. I've had Brannstrom as an odd option that could work if they lean that pair into more offensive roles but that then raises an issue with them not using Stillman for PKing since Brannstrom was down the lineup for PKing time in Ottawa. Not perfect and then there is what to do with Jokiharju. I don't think I would trust a Stillman-Jokiharju pair.
Why not go after Mayfield or Severson and not pay assets? I would even look at Gudas but his age is getting up there. All right handed defensemen and don't have to give up any assets.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Why not go after Mayfield or Severson and not pay assets? I would even look at Gudas but his age is getting up there. All right handed defensemen and don't have to give up any assets.

They have a lot of prospects in the pipeline and could use draft picks to make a move rather than trying to convince a player to come via UFA.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
What do people think the value of Olofsson is? A 3rd round pick? A 5-6 defenseman?

Ship him to Vegas and let him play with his buddy.
I think with 50% retention there could be some interest there. He did score 28 goals while only getting around 14 minutes of ice time. A team that plays sound defensively might see him as a trigger man they could shelter a bit with 2 defensively sound linemates.

Without retention he might be able to get some future considerations.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We may have to deal UPL if he's not going to be the starter or backup for Levi and he will still have a good chance of being a good NHL goalie. He's big and he's just coming off his rookie season that had some down games but some good games too. He still has time to develop into a good one - he has all the tools.

Reactions: brian_griffin

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I think this board is way underestimating Olofsson's trade value. Sure, he doesn't drive play at ES. We know that. But he scored 21 ES goals and 28 overall. That's not a player you need to retain on to get something of value for in return.
The issue is, and will be the salary cap. A rebuilding team won't have much of a need for Olofsson and they aren't going to pay for him.

Most of the competitive teams that might have interest also have cap balancing to do. Paying 5 million even if it's for just 1 season for a middle six wing who is terrible defensively is going to rule out a whole bunch of teams because they simply cannot make the cap hit work.

Unless it's a money in/money out kind of deal there won't be a ton of suitors for him.

Retaining on him makes him much more affordable, and opens up the number of teams that could make his cap hit work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad