Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is going to sound harsher than it is meant which usually means it's too harsh: as of right now, I wouldn't do Mittelstadt for Petry let alone kick in UPL.

We all have some questionable ideas sometimes, but yeah...Petry is already 35 and Mittelstadt is on the upswing of his career. I would cringe at the results of that trade in just 1-2 years.

I think the big issue with moving Petry is he creates a huge hole on PIT's D and is going to someone they likely are competing with for a playoff spot next year.

PIT isn't targeting futures and they would need something with actual value outside of Ukka Pekka coming back. Bryson, Olofsson, etc don't really fit so Middlestadt is the only non-core piece that I can see bringing back what PIT would want in a deal.

Honestly Petry is just a bad fit for PIT to deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the big issue with moving Petry is he creates a huge hole on PIT's D and is going to someone they likely are competing with for a playoff spot next year.

PIT isn't targeting futures and they would need something with actual value outside of Ukka Pekka coming back. Bryson, Olofsson, etc don't really fit so Middlestadt is the only non-core piece that I can see bringing back what PIT would want in a deal.

Honestly Petry is just a bad fit for PIT to deal.

I would work something around Jokiharju for Petry as the basis for a deal - RD for RD. Henri needs a new change, I think Sullivan's system would be good for him and it saves millions on the cap for the Pens.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would work something around Jokiharju for Petry as the basis for a deal - RD for RD. Henri needs a new change, I think Sullivan's system would be good for him and it saves millions on the cap for the Pens.

I just don't see the value. The Penguins have a bunch of Jokiharju's in Ty Smith and POJ.

They can't really afford to give up Petry. I don't see it happening.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Now we have to worry about alligator attacks with our players

Screenshot_20230418_185344_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20230418_185116_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I have no interest in trading for Petry personally. He's simply too old & won't fit within our hopeful window of contention.

Adams has more than enough assets at his disposal to get a long term core piece who WOULD fit within that window. Use them.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have no interest in trading for Petry personally. He's simply too old & won't fit within our hopeful window of contention.

Adams has more than enough assets at his disposal to get a long term core piece who WOULD fit within that window. Use them.
I really wonder how many guys fit in that bucket.

There are less than 50 D that are currently 26yo or younger and under contract for the 2024-25 season.

And the vast majority fall into one of two buckets: "No thanks" or "Untouchable".

Reactions: Chainshot

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I really wonder how many guys fit in that bucket.

There are less than 50 D that are currently 26yo or younger and under contract for the 2024-25 season.

And the vast majority fall into one of two buckets: "No thanks" or "Untouchable".
Where in my post did i say that our target needs to be 26 yo or younger & under contract for 2024-25?

I'm fine with a guy who is in the 28-30 yo range who feasibly has 5-7 years of good play left in him.

I'm fine with a guy who needs extending in the next couple of years.

I'm not fine with a guy who is 35.

Reactions: Dingo44

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
My only comment would be that he gets very different usage to Samuelsson in NY behind Fox & Trouba. Only 12th in team TOI. Easily 6th of their defenceman.

That plus the fact that he's so young would give me slight cause for concern.

But... last point is true. Seems that the only way NY trade him would be for another instant contributor on a longer ELC?

Maybe a guy like Savoie or Kulich straight up if NY thought either were ready & were happy icing another cheap bottom pair RD behind their two studs ? 3 ELC years vs 1 ELC year...

If we're talking about a 21 yo, righty Samuelsson clone I'd trade either one of Savoie or Kulich for that in a heartbeat, given our respective strengths & weaknesses.
I’m glad people are coming around to my idea of cloning Sammy. We have the technology

Reactions: Chainshot

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Where in my post did i say that our target needs to be 26 yo or younger & under contract for 2024-25?

I'm fine with a guy who is in the 28-30 yo range who feasibly has 5-7 years of good play left in him.

I think there's a world where they can get an older top 4 Dman that can be part of the now, while also getting a younger one that can be part of the future. I'm not advocating for Petry as I'm not fond of his play the last several years, but I'm very on board with someone like Tanev.

I think acquiring a younger top 4 will prove difficult right now. However, acquiring a younger RD with top 4 potential and a veteran top 4 as a stopgap until the younger one is ready is a good option from my view. Their oldest Dman is Lyubushkin who just turned 29, and he hasn't even played 300 NHL games yet. By comparison someone like Trouba is the same age and has over 700 games of experience.

I just think they need a vet on the blueline given how young most of them are.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I have heard the narrative of "guys that fit the age profile of the core" a ton. So, that is why I put the parameters as guys that are 26yo now.

And my guess is that anyone who is 28-30 and has significant term will get a "that contract won't age well..." reaction a lot of the time.

Expanding the age range to 30 adds 34 more players to the pool of potential trade targets. But, 25 of those 34 have trade protection now or in the future.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Right now, there are a few guys that I would love it if Adams were to trade for them on D:

With Calgary needing cap relief, I would not have an issue if they were to trade for Tanev, Weegar, or Andersson. My preferences probably go from the least likely to be traded (Andersson) to the most likely to move (Tanev). But, I would be OK with any of them as the upgrade over Jokiharju in the top 4.

Vegas will have yet another off season where they start out close to the cap. I doubt they move him, but Shea Theodore is the most expensive D they have that does not have any trade protection.

And the Pesce idea in Carolina would be intriguing, even if he is a UFA after next season.

I also wonder if Dumba is a guy that Adams calls on in UFA if he is unable to make a trade before 7/1.

Reactions: brian_griffin

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After seeing Schneider getting absolutely turned around by Hughes last night......probably a reason Rangers fans want to move on from him.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
After seeing Schneider getting absolutely turned around by Hughes last night......probably a reason Rangers fans want to move on from him.
I mean Hughes is a phenomenal offensive player, and Schneider is still only 21. How many guys did we see Tage, or Dahlin embarrass this year? Doesn't mean they are bad players. Can't remember if it was this season or last as they kind of blended together in my head but I recall Dahlin making Hedman look like a pylon, it happens.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I mean Hughes is a phenomenal offensive player, and Schneider is still only 21. How many guys did we see Tage, or Dahlin embarrass this year? Doesn't mean they are bad players. Can't remember if it was this season or last as they kind of blended together in my head but I recall Dahlin making Hedman look like a pylon, it happens.

Girgs did that to somebody, was that Detroit? Can't remember. Shit happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad