Value of: Sabres forward prospect for your teams RHD prospect.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Kulich or 11 overall

For Rasmus Andersson

Makes some sense for both teams imo

On the one hand, it makes some sense. Andersson is a very good RHD on a good deal.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that Andersson is the right fit for Buffalo. His skillset is very much more along the lines of what we have (as in: smooth skating, good offensively).....so I'm not convinced.

Reactions: freester

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
On the one hand, it makes some sense. Andersson is a very good RHD on a good deal.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that Andersson is the right fit for Buffalo. His skillset is very much more along the lines of what we have (as in: smooth skating, good offensively).....so I'm not convinced.
I doubt we'd get him for just Kulich or 11th overall. It would be a trade you'd have to make if that's the case.
I think he'd be great next to Power.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Detroit has so many defensive prospects that I think something like Tuomisto (23 years old 6'5 RD, ready to compete for a spot) for someone like Neuchev (raw but high offensive potential and younger) could make sense. Not sure how realistic that is.

I’d say no. But only because Neuchev is my second favourite prospect the Sabres have (first is Sir William von Barnekow-Løfberg).

• Wow
Reactions: Realgud

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kulich or 11 overall

For Rasmus Andersson

Makes some sense for both teams imo

For my Jackets I would like to find a way to top that offer and snag Rasmus Andersson. But I'm not willing to trade Denton Mateychuk and I can't think of a prospect below him who is still more valuable than Kulich/ 11th OA.

Rasmus Andersson is very well rounded, I don't think you have anyone who is as polished defensively as Andersson.

I think the Sabres have to make that trade. He'd elevate Power, Byram, Dahlin, whoever you put on his left.

The only issue is that it feels a bit like one of those Senators trades - DeBrincat, Chychrun - where you a trade a 1st for a guy who has two years left on his deal, and you can't extend him right away. But with where the Sabres are at I think they have to make the trade regardless.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
For my Jackets I would like to find a way to top that offer and snag Rasmus Andersson. But I'm not willing to trade Denton Mateychuk and I can't think of a prospect below him who is still more valuable than Kulich/ 11th OA.

Rasmus Andersson is very well rounded, I don't think you have anyone who is as polished defensively as Andersson.

I think the Sabres have to make that trade. He'd elevate Power, Byram, Dahlin, whoever you put on his left.

The only issue is that it feels a bit like one of those Senators trades - DeBrincat, Chychrun - where you a trade a 1st for a guy who has two years left on his deal, and you can't extend him right away. But with where the Sabres are at I think they have to make the trade regardless.
RA would be a great add. There would also be a whole lotta cap tied up in the defense with Dahlin, Power, Sammuelsson and Byram and Jokiharju needing contracts soon. Nothing against RA's abilities.

We're also hoping to beef up the forwards with this year's cap. So the 4.5 is very reasonable but it would have to replace a player(s) on defense.

KA could move RFA Joker and probably Byram as well eventually or get better value than Sammy but then still be in the same situation where he should need to add a relatively low cost defensive defender.

So considering the CTA and overall map of the team and defense cap, the smart move is probably to just go get that defensive defenseman, stock up the 4th line and a top 6 with the picks and prospects still available for the those forwards.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
RA would be a great add. There would also be a whole lotta cap tied up in the defense with Dahlin, Power, Sammuelsson and Byram and Jokiharju needing contracts soon. Nothing against RA's abilities.

We're also hoping to beef up the forwards with this year's cap. So the 4.5 is very reasonable but it would have to replace a player(s) on defense.

KA could move RFA Joker and probably Byram as well eventually or get better value than Sammy but then still be in the same situation where he should need to add a relatively low cost defensive defender.

So considering the CTA and overall map of the team and defense cap, the smart move is probably to just go get that defensive defenseman, stock up the 4th line and a top 6 with the picks and prospects still available for the those forwards.

Acquiring someone like Rasmus Andersson would mean letting Jokiharju go is simple. Byram hasn't done anything to warrant a big payday yet either.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Acquiring someone like Rasmus Andersson would mean letting Jokiharju go is simple. Byram hasn't done anything to warrant a big payday yet either.
Again, he'd be a great addition. It would cost painful assets that could be spent in other places while creating an unsustainable cap environment. And Adams can still fill that hole effectively without using big assets. That's all I'm saying.

For the record, I don't want a prospect either. I want a veteran defenseman.

Reactions: Chainshot

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean... RHD are the hardest players to find in all of hockey. Any team with a decent RHD prospect absolutely isn't going to move them. Buffalo would certainly have to "lose" the trade here and get a weaker prospect.

Yeah. I think this is the crux of the flaw in this premise here. The Sabres have a glut of "smallish skilled wingers" in their mix. Between the NHL roster, young players, and the prospect pool. They've "won" a lot of draft picks by focusing on these types and getting "steals". But in reality, they're the least "valuable" sort of asset. The least "liquidity" as a trade commodity.

Whereas a lot of teams "lose" a lot of draft picks by grabbing "low upside stay-at-home RHD". But when they pan out, they're awfully hard to acquire for any kind of reasonable "value". They're just so coveted around the league.

You'd be really hard-pressed to find a team that's looking to swap a promising young, steady RHD with size...for a smallish skilled scoring winger. Even just trying to "bundle" them doesn't tend to make any sense.

Big, mobile, Top-4D and solid 2-way Centers are in a different sort of value tier than small skilled wingers. So Buffalo would probably be looking at "losing" a trade for a lesser caliber prospect of a more coveted type. Where it makes more sense to either just draft them yourself, or find a way to trade for (or sign) the real deal NHL version. Especially since Buffalo really need to take some steps right now...more so than when a current prospect is ready.

Again, he'd be a great addition. It would cost painful assets that could be spent in other places while creating an unsustainable cap environment. And Adams can still fill that hole effectively without using big assets. That's all I'm saying.

For the record, I don't want a prospect either. I want a veteran defenseman.

I think there's a way that acquiring Rasmus Andersson could be "sustainable" on the cap. But it would basically mean you have to identify your "4 guys". Jokiharju is out. And probably have to find a way to unload Clifton at some point as well.

But basically...one of Byram or Power is gone. You have to choose between them. One or the other. However, i think that realistically...that's a potential problem Buffalo will have to face down the line anyway. If Byram stays healthier and hits anywhere near his potential, that's never going to jive with Dahlin and Power already also on bigtime deals.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Forton said he felt the pool was already balanced. They won't swap for position. Sabres already have Johnson in the wings deserving of a spot. It is up front where this team is shaky on the big club. They could have a top 4 D set for the next 5 years soon.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Expecting a RHD who is "NHL Ready" and has a good defensive game and size for a smallish wing prospect simply isn't realistic.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yeah. I think this is the crux of the flaw in this premise here. The Sabres have a glut of "smallish skilled wingers" in their mix. Between the NHL roster, young players, and the prospect pool. They've "won" a lot of draft picks by focusing on these types and getting "steals". But in reality, they're the least "valuable" sort of asset. The least "liquidity" as a trade commodity.

Whereas a lot of teams "lose" a lot of draft picks by grabbing "low upside stay-at-home RHD". But when they pan out, they're awfully hard to acquire for any kind of reasonable "value". They're just so coveted around the league.

You'd be really hard-pressed to find a team that's looking to swap a promising young, steady RHD with size...for a smallish skilled scoring winger. Even just trying to "bundle" them doesn't tend to make any sense.

Big, mobile, Top-4D and solid 2-way Centers are in a different sort of value tier than small skilled wingers. So Buffalo would probably be looking at "losing" a trade for a lesser caliber prospect of a more coveted type. Where it makes more sense to either just draft them yourself, or find a way to trade for (or sign) the real deal NHL version. Especially since Buffalo really need to take some steps right now...more so than when a current prospect is ready.

I think there's a way that acquiring Rasmus Andersson could be "sustainable" on the cap. But it would basically mean you have to identify your "4 guys". Jokiharju is out. And probably have to find a way to unload Clifton at some point as well.

But basically...one of Byram or Power is gone. You have to choose between them. One or the other. However, i think that realistically...that's a potential problem Buffalo will have to face down the line anyway. If Byram stays healthier and hits anywhere near his potential, that's never going to jive with Dahlin and Power already also on bigtime deals.
No doubt it would be amazing for a year or two but RA would want a raise and Byram is getting a bump even if he stays flat next year. So then you'll have to go out and get a defender after you've spent significant assets on one and be back in the same predicament.

I'd rather get the low cost 5/6 that can clear a net and PK then use those assets for good veteran forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad