Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Do-nothing Tallon also made the controversial pick to take Barkov higher than what the consensus had him.

Didnt Tallon also build the Blackhawks dynasty core but never got the credit (rings) for it? Funny that it also happened in Florida. Best GM of 21st century after all

Edit. He got the 2010 Hawks ring but was already demoted and no longer the actual GM.
Great

The Hawks remained good and got even better after he left.

Florida were a joke while he was there. If they kept him instead of firing him and hiring Zito I’m not sure they win the cup. I’m pretty sure they don’t.

I’ll tell you one thing he deserves more credit for…..Vegas.

Reactions: Triumph

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I say #10 to Carolina, Necas and Schmidt or Daws to Nashville, and Askarov to the Devils :)
No including Nico Daws

Kids a stud - in games we didnt let him get blown out in shots against (think it was four or five), hes sitting around a .915 last season after a broken hip and being rushed a second time

Hes shown he can bounce back from worse and do excellent; hes easily our best chance at a starter

In theory you could do some package for Askarov that includes Schmid and then have Askarov and Nico split - then Nico up next year as backup to Markstrom and Askarov start the A; then Nico and Askarov fight it out for starter

Two years and a fighting chance is better than being behind a nine-year contract; though Im sure he actually ends up on a team thatll use him now or next year

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Trotz wil not trade Askarov.

Their window is now, he has good experience with goalies, Askarov is under control, he will play elc years and after that under the bridge. Trotz has potentially great duo for reasonable price for 5-7 years. And he has some young players to add to the roster.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Saros deal is going to age terribly, 5'11 goalie who relies on his athleticism. I would be shocked if he ages well going into his 30's. He already had a career worst year after leading the league in games played for a few years

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Saw this on X. Sorry if something related to this was posted already but LOL
1719559118638.png

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Trotz wil not trade Askarov.

Their window is now, he has good experience with goalies, Askarov is under control, he will play elc years and after that under the bridge. Trotz has potentially great duo for reasonable price for 5-7 years. And he has some young players to add to the roster.
If their window is now it makes no sense to keep Askarov when the value he brings back could help win, now

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If their window is now it makes no sense to keep Askarov when the value he brings back could help win, now
It makes tonns of sense. They can roll two good goalies where one has nothing under the cap for next 3-5 years. Trotz success was about goalies. He has one more goalie to bet and protect.

Again. It’s a false narrative that teams should trade all their young assets because their window is now. It’s wrong. And stupid. Idiotic. No brain move. Because this ELC players with talent can make a damage with penny under the cap. Especially it’s important for teams with penalties under the cap. Two good goalies will help to win every game.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The problem is very few teams are going to trade a good roster player for a goalie prospect. This is why so few goalies get traded, and why it e.g. took so long for Vancouver to deal Schneider. Before the Markstrom trade, would the Devils deal Mercer for Askarov? Probably not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It makes tonns of sense. They can roll two good goalies where one has nothing under the cap for next 3-5 years. Trotz success was about goalies. He has one more goalie to bet and protect.

Again. It’s a false narrative that teams should trade all their young assets because their window is now. It’s wrong. And stupid. Idiotic. No brain move. Because this ELC players with talent can make a damage with penny under the cap. Especially it’s important for teams with penalties under the cap. Two good goalies will help to win every game.
I think they should have traded Saros tbh…but either way their goalie hoarding is at odds with needing actual scoring talent. Brunette can’t invent goals from a below average forward core forever, the first round proved that. The Predators have been stagnant for years as a borderline playoff team and look to remain so now.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think they should have traded Saros tbh…but either way their goalie hoarding is at odds with needing actual scoring talent. Brunette can’t invent goals from a below average forward core forever, the first round proved that. The Predators have been stagnant for years as a borderline playoff team and look to remain so now.
I think they can trade Saros after three years. If Askarov will develop well - after three years Josi will be in the end of his deal, Forsberg has three years, as OReilly. They can make a small rebuild and make a step into the new period of the team. They have Wood, Evangelista, Kemmel. And Saros will be only 32 yo goalie on the reasonable deal.
But they just can’t waste the end of the years of Josi and Forsberg without trying to make a run like Trotz did with Islanders group. In the same time this group don’t have many years, so Askarov can be long time goalie for the next generation of predators.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Jesus christ and this is why Nashville tops out at 95 points every year, use one of your assets and get f***ing forward help with it

Again reading this board most are scoffing at the contract he signed with the typical age and price for goalie so what package are they realistically going to get back for help NOW ? Markstrom brought back a meh defender and a first next year. Not many teams are in a position to give top talent out for a goalie and then give goalie that contract

I will say giving up the farm and giving Saros that contract would have been a tough pill to swallow
Yet people think Nashville could’ve got a kings ransom. I’m going to assume they shopped him and the packages were extremely meh. If that’s the case they made the right choice keeping him

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
No including Nico Daws

Kids a stud - in games we didnt let him get blown out in shots against (think it was four or five), hes sitting around a .915 last season after a broken hip and being rushed a second time

Hes shown he can bounce back from worse and do excellent; hes easily our best chance at a starter

In theory you could do some package for Askarov that includes Schmid and then have Askarov and Nico split - then Nico up next year as backup to Markstrom and Askarov start the A; then Nico and Askarov fight it out for starter

Two years and a fighting chance is better than being behind a nine-year contract; though Im sure he actually ends up on a team thatll use him now or next year
It's funny. When they both started in the AHL, I thought Schmidt was easily the better of the two. He seemed noticeably better the first year. Now I think I prefer Daws. Maybe he was hampered by that injury he had surgery for, even way back then.

I think Schmidt is emotionally fragile, as shown by his play every time he's sent back to the AHL. He struggles when sent down and takes a while to recover his form.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Great

The Hawks remained good and got even better after he left.

Florida were a joke while he was there. If they kept him instead of firing him and hiring Zito I’m not sure they win the cup. I’m pretty sure they don’t.

I’ll tell you one thing he deserves more credit for…..Vegas.
although it didn’t materialize for tallon in Florida, he absolutely built the hawks dynasty and it was apparent that once those players got phased out bowman was way in over his head.

Look at all these key cogs not only in those dynasty teams but will prob be in the ring of honor that tallon brought in as a GM or as a director of player personnel:
Toews,Kane,hjalmarsson,niemi,sharp,versteeg,eager,Ladd,hossa,kopecky,madden,Campbell,huet,sopel,keith,burish,seabrook,byfuglien,bolland and brower

My theory: Hawks hire Scotty Bowman to executive role in 2008 and Stan takes over by 2009 not a coincidence

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think they can trade Saros after three years. If Askarov will develop well - after three years Josi will be in the end of his deal, Forsberg has three years, as OReilly. They can make a small rebuild and make a step into the new period of the team. They have Wood, Evangelista, Kemmel. And Saros will be only 32 yo goalie on the reasonable deal.
But they just can’t waste the end of the years of Josi and Forsberg without trying to make a run like Trotz did with Islanders group. In the same time this group don’t have many years, so Askarov can be long time goalie for the next generation of predators.

Sure they can, they should've traded all 3 guys and started over. Trotz was too old to take over as GM and Brunette's too good a coach to install on what should be a rebuild.

I'm not a 'tear it all down' guy but this was a pretty obvious tear down. Instead they'll be stuck getting 85-100 points every season for the forseeable future. They will have to draft incredibly well to keep this going. Teams have done it, but it mostly requires getting top line talent from lower down in the draft and obviously that's quite a challenge.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Sure they can, they should've traded all 3 guys and started over. Trotz was too old to take over as GM and Brunette's too good a coach to install on what should be a rebuild.

I'm not a 'tear it all down' guy but this was a pretty obvious tear down. Instead they'll be stuck getting 85-100 points every season for the forseeable future. They will have to draft incredibly well to keep this going. Teams have done it, but it mostly requires getting top line talent from lower down in the draft and obviously that's quite a challenge.
Triumph, listen, You are intelligent guy. You should understand. Im saying it without sarcasm or condescension. Winning Stanley Cup isnt the only one target for NHL team. Some teams want to sell the product. Often winning isnt for everyone, its about huge effort, smart managing and a lot of luck. A lot of luck. In different planes of the business. Health, game luck, trades, free agents, draft, lottery, even finding right coach for the right players in the right time, taxes etc.
Josi and Forsberg are franchise players. Still they drafted fine. So I believe they are okay to have competent team, try to win more play off game and than make a fast and less aggressive rebuild. Josi and Forsberg are mostly targets for winning now teams, who dont have good prospects or high picks. So its not like they will cash on them really. In the same time they can lose much more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad