Proposal: Saad to Columbus

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
How about the Blues figure that out on their end.
You're being obtuse.

I'm asking you if this trade is something CBJ would maybe be interested in:

to Columbus Blue Jackets
BRANDON SAAD
mid-20s 3rd pair DFD / 2wayD, cheap cap w/ some potential
depth prospect, nobody special but SOME potential

to St Louis Blues
IVAN PROVOROV
Corson Ceulemans

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Nothing against Saad but I doubt he'd be worth it for us. Whoever we acquire ideally will be pushed to 3rd or 4th line by March. Can't give up too much for a stop gap.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Nothing against Saad but I doubt he'd be worth it for us. Whoever we acquire ideally will be pushed to 3rd or 4th line by March. Can't give up too much for a stop gap.

That would make him an ideal candidate to be honest. Seems as if he gets his 20-30 and 20 regardless of where he plays.

However, I’m not sure there’s a bridge to gap between Columbus not really needing to pay a premium due to not being in a competitive window, and the Blues trading a contributor that they can push down the lineup and know what they’re getting. Especially given the trade protection attached.

Just a side note attached here from reading earlier as well. I don’t think there are many trades in which the Blues would trade Neifhbors. He seems pretty engrained into the locker room and into the Blues future plans. As much sense as it makes as Jiricek hypothetically fits exactly what we need. I still don’t think the Blues front office would move Neighbors.

"Flip him for what you REALLY want" is always a ripoff proposal.

Practical on paper. Not practical when you account for the players and managers being people.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
You're being obtuse.

I'm asking you if this trade is something CBJ would maybe be interested in:

to Columbus Blue Jackets
BRANDON SAAD
mid-20s 3rd pair DFD / 2wayD, cheap cap w/ some potential
depth prospect, nobody special but SOME potential

to St Louis Blues
IVAN PROVOROV
Corson Ceulemans
Provorov is garbage and also he sucks at hockey. Provorov is a player worth boycotting my own team if they acquire him, he is loathsome

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He’s not garbage and he doesn’t suck at hockey. I guess you have your non hockey related reasons to hate him
From "the way he plays" standpoint, he is a bum who I absolutely wouldn't want, but yes that discussion is not even reached because of his human choices and mine.

By the way you're offering a non bum top 4 defenseman+ for a veteran winger while also asserting he doesn't suck. Ok, sure

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
I don't think Provorov is the person we need to be chasing. I don't think he fits the Blues timeline, and he has no upwards trajectory. I'd be open to the Ceulemans reclamation project, possibly with some conditions for a 5th/6th round pick as a buffer to Saad if it couldn't get done one for one.

Jiricek for Neighbours is probably equal value wise, but I don't think either team jumps at the chance to do it. Probably rather just stick with their guy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Saad/Provorov proposal doesn't really make sense. Provorov doesn't fit our d-core with a healthy Leddy and Broberg on the left. Both d prospects are busts anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Provorov is garbage and also he sucks at hockey. Provorov is a player worth boycotting my own team if they acquire him, he is loathsome

If one only knew Provorov as a Blue Jacket and was ignorant of anything prior to the last 15 months, then one would have no idea what you're talking about. Just a solid quiet top 4D. Not that interesting.

By the way you're offering a non bum top 4 defenseman+ for a veteran winger while also asserting he doesn't suck. Ok, sure

He wasn't offering and I'm not offering. Jackets fans expect him to be dealt at the deadline but he helps the D a lot while he's still around.

The only thing making me consider a Saad swap was that the Jackets have two top 9 wingers right now. But even with that desperation the Jackets probably prefer Provorov.

I'd be open to the Ceulemans reclamation project, possibly with some conditions for a 5th/6th round pick as a buffer to Saad if it couldn't get done one for one.

Ceulemans is worth closer to a 5th rounder himself. You can have him for nearly free. He just hasn't developed and he's behind many other D prospects in the depth chart.

Reactions: Viqsi

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Okay that isn’t nice and not true. He is good just not all star or elite. Definitely a gamer in meaning he doesn’t miss games.

Sounds like you personally don’t like him?? He is very low-key and seems to be liked in the locker room.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
He objectively doesn't, you just hate his politics. Which is fine, but letting that impact how you feel about him on the ice is dumb. Now watch him get a late first at the deadline.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying he's worth a 1, I am saying teams get stupid desperate at the deadline.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He objectively doesn't, you just hate his politics. Which is fine, but letting that impact how you feel about him on the ice is dumb. Now watch him get a late first at the deadline.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying he's worth a 1, I am saying teams get stupid desperate at the deadline.
I don't care about his politics, he is not an American citizen. He stands up for the principle that gay people are to be persecuted, which is what his religion says. Not abstract for me. A beloved brilliant uncle died of AIDS in the Reagan years. Ivan Provorov is a piece of trash

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I don't care about his politics, he is not an American citizen. He stands up for the principle that gay people are to be persecuted, which is what his religion says. Not abstract for me. A beloved brilliant uncle died of AIDS in the Reagan years. Ivan Provorov is a piece of trash
You're kind of proving everyone else's point here...

Also, don't look now but there's a couple Russians on the Blues.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
You're kind of proving everyone else's point here...

Also, don't look now but there's a couple Russians on the Blues.
As a player he plays a position we have been in big need of so for most of the last four seasons there were "should Provorov be a target" discussions. In no way am I unfamiliar with his play. On the performance level I am so underwhelmed with this guy.

I am impressed that you equated "took a stance that gays are less than equal humans" with "being Russian" but don't put that in my mouth ...

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I am impressed that you equated "took a stance that gays are less than equal humans" with "being Russian" but don't put that in my mouth ...
This isn't the place for this discussion at all, but you brought it into a talk of Provorovs on ice abilities so I feel I have to retort.

I did not make that comparison. I'm saying most Russians are Russian Orthodox. Not that crazy of a jump.

If you equate Russian Orthodox to "thinking gays are less than human" than that's on you.

And Provorov, no matter how you feel about him personally, is a fine second pair defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad