Value of: Ryan Strome’s next contact

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Strome has played better for the rangers then anyone, fans or front office people would have ever thought. He should be applauded for that. He has turned his career around.
That said, Drury better not resign him at all. It would be a big mistake. Strome was always a short term band aid. Him and Zibby both have similar styles, we cannot have both locked up for long term and a lot of cap.
Stromes being here will also have a ripple effect on the rest of the line up. It would keep LaF/kakko off the 1PP for 4-5 more years.
Good guy, played well with us, but his time should be over here. Yes, he has solid chemistry with panarin, but something tells me panarin isn’t going to forget how to play hockey or turn into a 60pt wing because Ryan Strome is gone.
You don’t see panarin volunteering to cut his contract/cap hit so the rangers can resign strome... this is a business. He has played well, but it’s time to move on.
My guess is he would take 5-6 mill for 6-7 years from nyr. That would be a mistake of epic proportions.
There will be teams that offer him 6-6.5 maybe even 7 mill per on a 5-6 year deal.
I know OTT had interest in him, but didn’t want to pay the assets to get him in the summer when it was reported.
There are teams that are very young and have the cap room and would love to bring in a vet center for 5 years or so that should give them between 50-60 pts a year. I suspect his point to take a bit of a hit without panarin, but honestly, you never know.
He could wind up with a team like Minnesota and have similar chemistry/production with Kaprizov for instance.
All I know is the hope is the 2C of the Rangers next season is not Ryan strome. That guy needs to be good at faceoffs, plays a solid 200ftn2-way game, adds offense, wins face offs, and is hopefully younger then strome and can kill penalties as well.
I don’t expect the new guy to match Stromes offensive production, he’s not going to get the 1PP time and he might not work as well with panarin.
But for the rangers, if he scores less then strome but does everything listed above better, that’s a win for the rangers big time.
I think there’s a 10% chance or less that strome and chytil are both here next season. Barron is ready for 3C duties by camp, cheaper, plays a bigger, heavier, more net front game.
Next years line up likely looks like

Kreider-Zibanejad-kakko
Panarin-Newguy-Blais
Laf-Barron-Goodrow
Hunt- Rooney/UFA-Reaves
ex Gauthier
Lindgren-Fox
Miller—Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Vet/Nemeth

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This is all irrelevant because Strome is a 2C and the guys guy mentioned aren’t. Chytil is also not the answer. He’s too big of a question mark for a 2C spot on a playoff team.

Yes, Chytil is a question mark, but that's a question we need to answer. When he has played in the top 6, he has looked good. If he can't handle it, we can always grab someone at the deadline to help out. It's not something we have to solve by day 1 of next season.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
disagree
constant win now posture does not help the team

also, Strome may be 2C and fully checks off enough on offense, but this guy is not higher b'c of other limitations on his game

Lias we agree is an effin ingrate, complete no talent.
Chytil is entirely different.

I am very pleased w/Chytil to date.
The LaF-Chytil-Gauthier line I propped over a year ago has been dominant. Granted scoring has been low, but they have outperformed opposition.

The weak link there is LaF, not Chytil. @jay from jersey has a fine anlaysis explaining that AF's skating is betraying the rest of what so far appears to be a stellar game, and once we get his teenager legs up to sufficient NHL level, watch out.

Chytil has not had a true, effective finisher. Blaming him for that is counterproductive.
Constantly, contstantly juggling lines is counterproductive.

Lose the excess vets.
Deal Strome for futures, promote Barron.
Create a roster spot for Krav
Stop w/win now idiocy

The faster we develop our real core, the faster our future s ours.
Ranked 100th best line by Fantasy Hockey Line Production | Which NHL Lines Score the Most Goals | leftwinglock.com

"Dominant"

Reactions: Mrfenn92

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He may get it and Gorton’s inability to lock him up 2 years ago is hurting the team now. Also him drafting Lias and Chytil who are both busts over taking Suzuki,Villardi, or Necas. Rangers have little leverage and need a 2C.
I don't think Villardi is going to make it as a center and Necas has already been moved to the wing position. Although, Canes don't have a lot of room with him down the middle after signing Kotkaniemi.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Strome is a buyer beware if he gets anything long term or high. he's someone you sign for 3 yrs. you could sign him at a higher amount then give kids bridges

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Strome is a buyer beware if he gets anything long term or high. he's someone you sign for 3 yrs. you could sign him at a higher amount then give kids bridges

At 28, I’d be shocked if he accepts a 3 year term anywhere, i doubt his agent would let him after the last 3 seasons. Even though 2 were shortened.
If anything he’s going to want more security.
They’d ask for 5-6 years at. Smaller cap hit
Even at a modest Raise, say 6.5-6.75 per hes getting a guaranteed 30 million dollars on his last big contract for life.
For him to even consider 3 years you’re talking about a team that would have to pay him 9-10 million per to equate the money on a retirement deal.
No shot in hell any team wants strome carrying that kind of cap hit, even in the short term. That’s crippling.
Assume NYR or ( insert your team here) is interested, you can probably get him to sign for 6 years, slight possibility of 5 but I don’t even think he does that, he won’t have to.
So assuming you agree on 6 years, that’s Stromes cap giving you a break, your talking about anywhere between 6-7 million per. He’s not the kind of guys that’s going to get NMC/NTC protection, so I’d wager he tries to get the most $$$ he can for his last/only big career contract.
After that deal he’ll only be 33-34, he’ll probably sign a 2-3 year economical deal at that point. Maybe even go year by year considering he’ll have made his nut.
Too gross to even think about tbh.

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Like it or not, NYR will resign Strome if he comes with a sufficient enough discount and if the term isn’t nuts. The important thing will be to avoid a NMC/NTC. I don’t think obtaining that magical cost controlled, young, 2C is a reality right now. Chytil will prob have to be moved to free up some of the money or move to wing if we can afford him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
At 28, I’d be shocked if he accepts a 3 year term anywhere, i doubt his agent would let him after the last 3 seasons. Even though 2 were shortened.
If anything he’s going to want more security.
They’d ask for 5-6 years at. Smaller cap hit
Even at a modest Raise, say 6.5-6.75 per hes getting a guaranteed 30 million dollars on his last big contract for life.
For him to even consider 3 years you’re talking about a team that would have to pay him 9-10 million per to equate the money on a retirement deal.
No shot in hell any team wants strome carrying that kind of cap hit, even in the short term. That’s crippling.
Assume NYR or ( insert your team here) is interested, you can probably get him to sign for 6 years, slight possibility of 5 but I don’t even think he does that, he won’t have to.
So assuming you agree on 6 years, that’s Stromes cap giving you a break, your talking about anywhere between 6-7 million per. He’s not the kind of guys that’s going to get NMC/NTC protection, so I’d wager he tries to get the most $$$ he can for his last/only big career contract.
After that deal he’ll only be 33-34, he’ll probably sign a 2-3 year economical deal at that point. Maybe even go year by year considering he’ll have made his nut.
Too gross to even think about tbh.

I don’t care what Rangers do.
I’m just objectively looking at this. Anyang 5+ yrs or $6M+ cap hit is disaster waiting to happen when cap space could be tight with the teams youth.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers can't afford to give out a big contract to Strome and I can't see this sweet deal he's willing to take. They also can't just trade Strome away because they can't afford him going further. In my opinion he's a contract you let ride out and see what happens. Making a trade is a big mistake when the team is currently in a great metro position. I know some fans absolutely hate the idea of losing a player for nothing but you don't sink the season just to get an asset back.

If 2 years ago Strome was given a higher cap hit, long term, fans would have crapped all over it. Now we hear "the mistake was not signing Strome for more than 2 years".

This is a tricky situation. Strome and Panarin enjoy playing with each other. Will Panarin go back to being under a point per game player without Strome? Probably not. But Strome allows Panarin to do whatever he wants and tries to get him the puck immediately. Panarin is almost the center on that line despite playing LW. He hangs low for breakouts and skates the puck through the neutral zone. While Strome has produced away from Panarin with us(sample size), asking him to continue this on another team away from Panarin is a major risk.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he been rather inconsistent throughout his entire career other than whenever he's had Panarin on his wing?

If that's the case, buyer beware?

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
If Strome is looking at 6.5m/year, you might have to let him walk. If he’s looking at low 5’s, you have to re-sign him. To get that, you might even have to include a NMC.

There is NO ONE that you can find that can play solid 2C minutes for 5m. Heck, Chytil is making 2.3m/year and he is completely unproven. Strome has been playing probably at a .75 ppg clip. Chytil hasn’t shown anything close to that.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
As for UFA fits, the only 3 teams I see that can use a 2C that actually have the cap for a UFA contract like this one would be are:

San Jose (if Hertl walks)
Ottawa (if Stuetzle is going to be playing wing long-term)
Detroit (if Stevie likes him, but doesn't seem like a Stevie type of move)

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
He is an ideal 2nd line center who can fill in on the first line with a superstar winger. This has value in the UFA market. He will get his 6 million for 4-5 years, but will have to take a haircut to get a longer contract. I would say best value for him would be would be $5.25 for 7 years.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
disagree
constant win now posture does not help the team

also, Strome may be 2C and fully checks off enough on offense, but this guy is not higher b'c of other limitations on his game

Lias we agree is an effin ingrate, complete no talent.
Chytil is entirely different.

I am very pleased w/Chytil to date.
The LaF-Chytil-Gauthier line I propped over a year ago has been dominant. Granted scoring has been low, but they have outperformed opposition.

The weak link there is LaF, not Chytil. @jay from jersey has a fine anlaysis explaining that AF's skating is betraying the rest of what so far appears to be a stellar game, and once we get his teenager legs up to sufficient NHL level, watch out.

Chytil has not had a true, effective finisher. Blaming him for that is counterproductive.
Constantly, contstantly juggling lines is counterproductive.

Lose the excess vets.
Deal Strome for futures, promote Barron.
Create a roster spot for Krav
Stop w/win now idiocy

The faster we develop our real core, the faster our future s ours.
Chytil is suppose to be a finisher since he can’t playmake to save his life. That line had a great game against Bruins but haven’t done enough to date. Chytil creates for himself but that’s it. I don’t see him putting up 45-50 points like the expectation was. This is his 5 year removed from the draft and hasn’t done enough till this point. I would like to see him on a line with Strome and Panarin and if he doesn’t elevate his game we know it was another Gorton special

I agree that line should be good as Laf is playmaker,Chytil the finisher and Gauthier creating space and crashing the net. They get favorable matchups and have been extremely frustrating to watch as the points have not shown up

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
I don't think Villardi is going to make it as a center and Necas has already been moved to the wing position. Although, Canes don't have a lot of room with him down the middle after signing Kotkaniemi.
Those guys still fill top 9 role that we are missing now due to the inability to draft. I think Villardi and Necas are on teams deep with Centre options. That would be the opposite of the Rangers which has been lacking since 17/18 season. You might be right about them but they were rated higher and I believe BPA

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Those guys still fill top 9 role that we are missing now due to the inability to draft. I think Villardi and Necas are on teams deep with Centre options. That would be the opposite of the Rangers which has been lacking since 17/18 season. You might be right about them but they were rated higher and I believe BPA
I think NYR fans would crucify Villardi if he were put in a 2c role. Don't think the footspeed is there for him on a team already having a hard time with speed. If you want to talk strictly on who we drafted out of it, sure, although Chytil has looked good at times. Probably more of a winger.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Strome has played better for the rangers then anyone, fans or front office people would have ever thought. He should be applauded for that. He has turned his career around.
That said, Drury better not resign him at all. It would be a big mistake. Strome was always a short term band aid. Him and Zibby both have similar styles, we cannot have both locked up for long term and a lot of cap.
Stromes being here will also have a ripple effect on the rest of the line up. It would keep LaF/kakko off the 1PP for 4-5 more years.
Good guy, played well with us, but his time should be over here. Yes, he has solid chemistry with panarin, but something tells me panarin isn’t going to forget how to play hockey or turn into a 60pt wing because Ryan Strome is gone.
You don’t see panarin volunteering to cut his contract/cap hit so the rangers can resign strome... this is a business. He has played well, but it’s time to move on.
My guess is he would take 5-6 mill for 6-7 years from nyr. That would be a mistake of epic proportions.
There will be teams that offer him 6-6.5 maybe even 7 mill per on a 5-6 year deal.
I know OTT had interest in him, but didn’t want to pay the assets to get him in the summer when it was reported.
There are teams that are very young and have the cap room and would love to bring in a vet center for 5 years or so that should give them between 50-60 pts a year. I suspect his point to take a bit of a hit without panarin, but honestly, you never know.
He could wind up with a team like Minnesota and have similar chemistry/production with Kaprizov for instance.
All I know is the hope is the 2C of the Rangers next season is not Ryan strome. That guy needs to be good at faceoffs, plays a solid 200ftn2-way game, adds offense, wins face offs, and is hopefully younger then strome and can kill penalties as well.
I don’t expect the new guy to match Stromes offensive production, he’s not going to get the 1PP time and he might not work as well with panarin.
But for the rangers, if he scores less then strome but does everything listed above better, that’s a win for the rangers big time.
I think there’s a 10% chance or less that strome and chytil are both here next season. Barron is ready for 3C duties by camp, cheaper, plays a bigger, heavier, more net front game.
Next years line up likely looks like

Kreider-Zibanejad-kakko
Panarin-Newguy-Blais
Laf-Barron-Goodrow
Hunt- Rooney/UFA-Reaves
ex Gauthier
Lindgren-Fox
Miller—Trouba
Jones-Schneider
Vet/Nemeth

agree with this except it does not specify as I have, if it is clear we can't afford him going forward, which is overriding as to any other ?, then we should sell to highest bidder immediately

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like it or not, NYR will resign Strome if he comes with a sufficient enough discount and if the term isn’t nuts. The important thing will be to avoid a NMC/NTC. I don’t think obtaining that magical cost controlled, young, 2C is a reality right now. Chytil will prob have to be moved to free up some of the money or move to wing if we can afford him.

This is not reality.
we should take less to move him as is
getting greedy and trying to have our cake and eat it too is how we got less for Buch

we can't afford him
admit to that truth'
let it go

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he been rather inconsistent throughout his entire career other than whenever he's had Panarin on his wing?

If that's the case, buyer beware?

Strome has demonstrated sufficiently in breadman's absence he can work independently.

He is what he is, good, but a flawed game, but still productive
Good value at the right #
BUT THERE IS ZERO NUMBER WE CAN AFFORD

sell high NOW

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They've outperformed the opposition except where it counts and the things that win you games.

wrong
if they are not scoring much but the opposition is scoring even less, then it is a net gain.

The key here is to be patient and let this line grow together.
LaF is the weak link and he will improve as his skating does and that will be a difference maker

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He is an ideal 2nd line center who can fill in on the first line with a superstar winger. This has value in the UFA market. He will get his 6 million for 4-5 years, but will have to take a haircut to get a longer contract. I would say best value for him would be would be $5.25 for 7 years.

hence NY should move him as a rental NOW

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chytil is suppose to be a finisher since he can’t playmake to save his life. That line had a great game against Bruins but haven’t done enough to date. Chytil creates for himself but that’s it. I don’t see him putting up 45-50 points like the expectation was. This is his 5 year removed from the draft and hasn’t done enough till this point. I would like to see him on a line with Strome and Panarin and if he doesn’t elevate his game we know it was another Gorton special

I agree that line should be good as Laf is playmaker,Chytil the finisher and Gauthier creating space and crashing the net. They get favorable matchups and have been extremely frustrating to watch as the points have not shown up

Chytil and LaF reversed. Stop w win now. Give teenager LaF this year + off season to develop high end NHL legs and that line will be a terror.

As noted, while not scoring much I see opposition scoring less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad