Value of: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Edmonton would probably want Hanifin or Faulk and I can't say I blame them. RNH is still fairly young and is a solid number one centre on most teams in the league due to his two way play.

Carolina fans will likely balk at those demands and thus the thread is over before it begins.

Last edited:

lauder73

May 9, 2011
As an Oiler fan Fleury is of no interest, only pieces of interest are Faulk and Hanifin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Oilers are going into next season with Pouliot-RNH-Ebs as our top line so we need RNH unless of course Faulk is available. Oilers will definitely add

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Faulk.

Thread over.

When's the last time a 50pt 2way C (so 2nd line C) was traded for a #1D?

Never.

Oilers fans need to wake up and realize that their player aren't worth what they think (see Hall vs Larsson deal AND the RNH for Jones deal that was rejected in favoir of Johanssen).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Never.

Oilers fans need to wake up and realize that their player aren't worth what they think (see Hall vs Larsson deal AND the RNH for Jones deal that was rejected in favoir of Johanssen).

RNH: 313GP 222pts
R Johansen: 351GP 227pts

So the last time a 2nd line C like RNH was traded was the last season and it returned a Dman on par with Faulk.

I dont think RNH by himself can land Faulk but just pointing out the error in your claim.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

Never.

That's great, but Carolina doesn't have anything else even close to comparable value. Brett Pesce or Slavin won't do it, and neither will Fleury. Those same trades you referenced set a pretty clear standard that the Canes can't meet.

lauder73

May 9, 2011

Never.

Then why would the Oilers trade that 2way centre fora B- prospect. Goes both ways

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Faulk.

Thread over.

This. I would even add a good piece or two, as would be warranted, but it would need to be Faulk. I would do Nuge, Davidson (looked good as a 3/4 defenseman last year) and our 1st next year, that's the type of overpayment it would have to be to even have a slim chance of it happening. But I don't think it would matter what we add (McDavid aside), I still think the Hurricanes would and should pass. Faulk is their franchise.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
RNH: 313GP 222pts
R Johansen: 351GP 227pts

So the last time a 2nd line C like RNH was traded was the last season and it returned a Dman on par with Faulk.

I dont think RNH by himself can land Faulk but just pointing out the error in your claim.

Not to mention that it has been reported by Lebrun that Nugent-Hopkins wasn't even offered for Jones.

I do think Faulk should have more value than Jones though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This has been hashed and rehashed a dozen times on here:

1) EDM doesn't want a LHD so Fleury doesn't make sense (although I do find it interesting that EDM fans say they don't want a LHD then ask for Hanifin)

2) RNH isn't a good enough player for the Canes to want to give up Faulk.

3) Canes D is way too young, inexperienced and weak on the RHD to give up Faulk right now.

Rinse and repeat.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Oil could really use Faulk, they should be all in if he's even slightly available. Draisaitl+. Not a huge plus but their D would finally be very very good

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Oil could really use Faulk, they should be all in if he's even slightly available. Draisaitl+. Not a huge plus but their D would finally be very very good

That's the point. He really isn't even slightly available without a huge plus (and maybe not even then). A couple years from now, that may be different, but I can't see any way the Canes go into this season with 5 guys with basically 1 year (or less) total NHL experience and Hainsey.

Their D without Faulk

Hainsey: 35 YO and UFA at season's end
Hanifin: 19 YO with 79 NHL games experience
Slavin: 22 YO with 63 NHL games experience
Pesce: 21 YO with 69 NHL games experience
Murphy: 23 YO with 124 NHL games experience, but no season with more than 48
Tennyson: 26 YO with 60 NHL games experience.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's the point. He really isn't even slightly available without a huge plus (and maybe not even then). A couple years from now, that may be different, but I can't see any way the Canes go into this season with 5 guys with basically 1 year (or less) total NHL experience and Hainsey.

If its experience you seek, we could send you Mark Fayne in the deal. :sarcasm:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
To EDM: J.Staal
To CAR: RNH

IMO both of these would fit better on the other team considering who else they have down the middle.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To EDM: J.Staal
To CAR: RNH

IMO both of these would fit better on the other team considering who else they have down the middle.

Not really. Without Staal, Canes have no centers with size, physicality and shutdown ability of Staal. I do agree we could use RNH's scoring ability, but it would leave an already soft/small team even softer and smaller.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That's fair.

I think the Oilers have done enough that they are happy to go into the season with the defense they have (or are at least telling people that). I'm sure it was extremely difficult for Chiarelli to pull the trigger on a trade in which he knew he was losing badly on absolute value, but other GMs had him over a barrel so his choices were limited. I doubt we'd see a similar type of trade moving forward, so any move will have to be at least closely-valued players. I just don't see that happening with Carolina and RNH.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
lets not kid ourselves, you just got Larsson for Hall. based off of that RNH for Hanifin is fair value.

Hanifin's a LHD, doesn't do anything for us.

1) EDM doesn't want a LHD so Fleury doesn't make sense (although I do find it interesting that EDM fans say they don't want a LHD then ask for Hanifin)

Exactly three posters have mentioned it; TT1 is a Habs die-hard, and I'm thinking the guy with a Kessel Leafs avatar and a location of Kingston is not an Oilers fan. The other might not know about the handedness issue. It's not like there's an overwhelming cry for Hanifin; most understand the ill fit there.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland

2) RNH isn't a good enough player for the Canes to want to give up Faulk.

3) Canes D is way too young, inexperienced and weak on the RHD to give up Faulk right now.

Rinse and repeat.

Not really an Edmonton fan, but the reason they want Hanifin is that he has higher upside than Fleury. He doesn't necessarily fill as large of a void but he's an upgrade for them on the left side regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad