Value of: Ryan Nugent Hopkins to Boston

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Ya I see what you're saying... perfect is clearly the wrong word, but there is tremendous value in a guy who under certain circumstances can put up the amount of points he can at the cap hit that he is at. Maybe the problem is if RNH isn't going to be the best play driver/defensively responsible guy then you need to surround him with wingers that can take that responsibility. This is where cap structure construction and cap flexibility comes in. Certain teams have it and certain teams don't and that leads to imbalanced rosters where you are filling holes with players that aren't slotted at the right level. Oilers have that as do the Leafs.

Ya, I can agree with that. His value to that roster specifically far outweighs the value he could provide elsewhere. He's a unique asset in that way for sure.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Lindholm is a far more realistic trade option for Boston. Much lower cap hit, younger, and he is publicly refusing to sign an extension all but forcing Calgary to trade him prior to training camp. Basically the Bruins just need to outbid the other suitors, the primary of which seems to be Washington, which may be one of the few teams that cannot easily outbid Boston with prospects.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Lindholm is a far more realistic trade option for Boston. Much lower cap hit, younger, and he is publicly refusing to sign an extension all but forcing Calgary to trade him prior to training camp. Basically the Bruins just need to outbid the other suitors, the primary of which seems to be Washington, which may be one of the few teams that cannot easily outbid Boston with prospects.
Define much lower cap hit because Lindholm makes $4.85 and RNH makes $5.125. Lindholm is also gonna make like $8m + after this year while RNH is locked in to that dirt cheap rate for 6 more years. Additionally, RNH is like 18 months older than Lindholm so I dunno if I'd go so far as to say Lindholm is MUCH younger either.

Who's the better player? Lindholm for sure but you're definitely not giving correct info on this.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Define much lower cap hit because Lindholm makes $4.85 and RNH makes $5.125. Lindholm is also gonna make like $8m + after this year while RNH is locked in to that dirt cheap rate for 6 more years. Additionally, RNH is like 18 months older than Lindholm so I dunno if I'd go so far as to say Lindholm is MUCH younger either.

Who's the better player? Lindholm for sure but you're definitely not giving correct info on this.

Your're right. I had in my head RHN was locked in around 7.8AVV which would make a big difference. Did not realize the contract was so team friendly.

But I stand by my assessment that the cost of acquiring RHN would be vastly higher than Lindholm because RHN is not begging out of Edmonton, he is signed long term at a low cap hit and the team is not actively shopping him.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Your're right. I had in my head RHN was locked in around 7.8AVV which would make a big difference. Did not realize the contract was so team friendly.

But I stand by my assessment that the cost of acquiring RHN would be vastly higher than Lindholm because RHN is not begging out of Edmonton, he is signed long term at a low cap hit and the team is not actively shopping him.
100% agree on your take for acquisition cost for the players. Lindholm is a great target for Boston.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nuge is an Oilers fan favorite, but let's not go overboard here.

He's a support player at this time in his career, if say Holloway has a leap forward this season he can take over his power play spot, as can Kane if he rebounds. He had a career season last year, but let's not expect that as he heads into the usual decline years.

Funny how months ago some of our fans were disgusted with his postseason are now proclaiming how indispensable he is. Truth is, if the Oilers are going to re-up both Connor and Leon, he's going to have to go at some point.

Huge Holloway fan.

There is near zero chance that he can do a Nuge-like job on that power play this season... or maybe ever.

Nuge's historical pts/60 scoring rate on the power play is 6.09, good for 21st ALL TIME
NHL All-Time Power-Play Points per 60 Leaders

Even in pre-McDrai years he was ~5.6/60 which would still put him in the top-30 of all time.

He may not be perfect, but you are sleeping on one of his elite talents, which is safe+creative puck distribution. He's an elite passer and (unlike many creative players) he doesn't force passes outside of his skillset... that means you keep possession and eventually break down the PK.

Reactions: zar and capazzo

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ya RNH is probably the perfect 2C, but getting a 1C via trade is easier said than done. You really need to find a situation where a player wants out (Eichel) or is a soon to be UFA and isn't going to re-sign or something (Dubois).

RNH could be a 1C with some top end (Boston like) talent on his wings.

In younger years he'd make riskier plays to "drive a line" now he's the ultimate in complementarity... he needs other guys to take the risks (he's just become risk averse), but he's still an elite passer with elite vision. On a line with dynamic players like Marchand and Pasta he would not be out of place. Think younger, faster, more defensively aware Krejci.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
RNH could be a 1C with some top end (Boston like) talent on his wings.

In younger years he'd make riskier plays to "drive a line" now he's the ultimate in complementarity... he needs other guys to take the risks (he's just become risk averse), but he's still an elite passer with elite vision. On a line with dynamic players like Marchand and Pasta he would not be out of place. Think younger, faster, more defensively aware Krejci.
:huh: That’s a head scratcher

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
:huh: That’s a head scratcher
Why’s that?

Last time he played at center he put up 69 points with old man Lucic and “never was” Juhar Khaira as his primary line mates.

PS: should not have said “more defensively aware”, Krecji was as well. The rest is true.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Flip the question around: What could Boston offer the Oilers that would make them blink and convince Nuge to leave Edmonton?

Whatever it is, it won't be enough.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not really seeing a fit here, Oilers need him and his contract.

Even if RNH was willing to leave and Edmonton was willing to move him (both quite unlikely)... I don't see anything that Boston could offer that would make sense for Edmonton that they could afford. They'd need some kind of replacement for RNH and then whatever the 'add' was to convince them that this was a good hockey move. Looking over Boston's roster I don't see what that could possibly be, especially given RNHs' contract and the cost certainty, not to mention value, that that brings.

Edmonton isn't a team trading top talent for futures - they're trying to win a cup.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad