Not open for further replies.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d give you the Avs next 2nd round pick for McLeod

3rd + Good for MacL is not unreasonable

why? because you need depth and Good can play top 6 as a stopgap

If our Fs were deeper, then I'd say yeah
It’s totally unreasonable. Goodrow would cost more than that just to dump his lousy contract.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’d give you the Avs next 2nd round pick for McLeod

It’s totally unreasonable. Goodrow would cost more than that just to dump his lousy contract.
Avs 2nd not worth more production wise than 3rd + Goodrow

As to cost, possibly a bit more, but not crazy more should it come to that.
Good = around 3.5
MacL = 2.1
ballpark 1.5 dif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What are you willing to add as a sweetener? No one would trade anything of value for McLeod. You know that.

If you are adding McLeod in a package for a top 4RD you are decreasing the value of your package.
Nailed it.

Can't see him holding much value.

In fact, with his contract I believe it is near zero or even negative.
Oof.

Can't see him holding much value.

In fact, with his contract I believe it is near zero or even negative.
Oof.
I don't see him having a lot of value. Low 2nd, at best? Maybe another 4th liner, or a 6/7 Dman with a similar contract. If his contract was half what it is, he'd be worth a bit more.
Ooof.

Worth absolutely squat.
Hah

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Of course his value went up after going to the finals. I don't think Buffalo wouod've offered Savoie back in November when the Oilers were at the bottom of the standings.

Reactions: 57special

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Of course his value went up after going to the finals. I don't think Buffalo wouod've offered Savoie back in November when the Oilers were at the bottom of the standings.
This trade is a head scratcher.

Sabres better prove everyone wrong or this won’t be aging too well

Reactions: HabsQC

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It's almost like values fluctuate over the course of a season, when this thread was made McLeod was playing poorly and his contract was pretty high so his value wasn't good. His play improved and he more than earned his contract from then through the playoffs, and his value increased. Edmonton did a great job of maximizing his value rather than throw him away when his value was at it's lowest.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I never thought anyone would trade more then a 2nd rounder tops for a player like McLeod so I didn't think it made any sense for the Oilers to trade him before, especially since the Oilers lacked depth. I never thought any team would possibly give up an asset like Buffalo did, I think it's insane that they did.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's almost like values fluctuate over the course of a season, when this thread was made McLeod was playing poorly and his contract was pretty high so his value wasn't good. His play improved and he more than earned his contract from then through the playoffs, and his value increased. Edmonton did a great job of maximizing his value rather than throw him away when his value was at its lowest.
I don’t think it’s about value fluctuating more so that there are 32 gm’s in the league so value can be wide ranging. Thats why I always laugh at people like all the dumb fans earlier in this thread making definitive proclamations which now make them look stupid.

Even during poor stretches of play some execs will still see value in players and offer value for them. While fans are shortsighted and very much let their opinions swing wildly based on what have you done lately, on the other hand when assessing value the people actually making the decisions tend to look at a players full body of work, their age, trajectory and how they believe a player will fit into their roster.

Despite some poor stretches of play, McLeod is a good player who’s always had value and that’s why Buffalo had to give up a blue chip prospect to land him, despite him being a cap casualty for Edmonton.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
For me, it’s the confidence behind these that makes them awesome. Just awkwardness level 11.
This is why when I talk shit, it's about my own team. Like the Hyman thread, I'll gladly eat crow about it lol
I don't want receipts from opposing teams!

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I don’t think it’s about value fluctuating more so that there are 32 gm’s in the league so value can be wide ranging. Thats why I always laugh at people like all the dumb fans earlier in this thread making definitive proclamations which now make them look stupid.

Even during poor stretches of play some execs will still see value in players and offer value for them. While fans are shortsighted and very much let their opinions swing wildly based on what have you done lately, on the other hand when assessing value the people actually making the decisions tend to look at a players full body of work, their age, trajectory and how they believe a player will fit into their roster.

Despite some poor stretches of play, McLeod is a good player who’s always had value and that’s why Buffalo had to give up a blue chip prospect to land him, despite him being a cap casualty for Edmonton.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that his value fluctuated from cap dump to blue chip prospect. He was worth more even when he was playing poorly, because as you stated NHL execs know a lot more about players than we do but he wouldn't have gotten Savoie then but he wouldn't have been a cap dump either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad