Value of: Ryan McLeod

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
McLeod's value is about a 3rd round pick right now. Oilers are better off holding on to him and hoping he can find his game.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What would your team be willing to trade for McLeod? He has good size and speed but I'd like someone with more grit in his role or to use him in a package to add a top 4RD. What are your offers?
He wouldn't have much value. I looked at his stats, like 20 goals in 145 games. We have that player in Jake Evans. They good players, just low trade value.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
2018 is a long time ago now. Most the guys behind him won't even make the NHL at this point.
View attachment 760540

It's nice he made the NHL and is staying but he's 24 and has scored 20 goals as a forward in his career. But yes, lots of busts both before him and after him. He's not a bust, I actually really like him as a player but he's 24, makes 2.1 million, has 0 points and his best seasons is less than 30 points and he doesn't seem poised to beat that this year.
The player we have seen so far this season is not the same as the guy we saw in the playoffs. If I had to guess I'd say that he is either still somewhat bothered by the injury or showing the impact of missing pretty much the whole training camp. But the point still stands. At this stage he has outplayed his draft slot hence the "ouch" part of your post was not really justified.

Point totals are of course disappointing but his job is less to score and more to be a solid defender to allow the team to be break even or better while his line is on the ice. In that regard at 5 vs 5 he's actually done a decent job in that his GA/60 this year 5 vs 5 is just 1.33. The problem is that his line is just not converting their chances. No goals for the whole line despite an advantage in scoring chances of 45 for and 31 against and a HDCF of 18 vs a HDCA of 12 suggests that there is some puck luck in play here as well.

Pretty much everyone wanted him to sign for less than $2M but if he went to arbitration it would certainly have been higher based on his play last year. It's probably best to let the season play out rather than trying to base his value on an 8 game sample where the whole team has struggled.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
base his value on an 8 game
I sited his age, entire career and his current 8 game slump.

If this were a Ryan McLeod appreciation thread I'd have nothing but nice things to say.

However, it's talking about the value on Ryan McLeod and I think he'd pass through waivers today. I didn't see many people from other fanbases offering much of anything.

At 1 million he is the best kept secret in hockey and a steal. At 2 million that goes away fast.

It's another zero value contract. Holland is a champ at these. JP and Yam come to mind real fast. Devin Shore. Kass was negative value. Nurse is negative value. Kane is probably at zero value too.

Great player, big fan... but are you arguing that he has value to other fanbases or would be claimed on waivers for free?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I sited his age, entire career and his current 8 game slump.

If this were a Ryan McLeod appreciation thread I'd have nothing but nice things to say.

However, it's talking about the value on Ryan McLeod and I think he'd pass through waivers today. I didn't see many people from other fanbases offering much of anything.

At 1 million he is the best kept secret in hockey and a steal. At 2 million that goes away fast.

It's another zero value contract. Holland is a champ at these. JP and Yam come to mind real fast. Devin Shore. Kass was negative value. Nurse is negative value. Kane is probably at zero value too.

Great player, big fan... but are you arguing that he has value to other fanbases or would be claimed on waivers for free?
I doubt he would pass through waivers even at $2M. But I also don't think his trade value would be worth moving him. My post was only a response to your "ouch" comment which was I think not warranted. It seems though that we see the player mostly in a similar light.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I doubt he would pass through waivers even at $2M. But I also don't think his trade value would be worth moving him. My post was only a response to your "ouch" comment which was I think not warranted. It seems though that we see the player mostly in a similar light.
Zero point in trading him. Totally agree. I'd actually be pissed if we did. We lose that trade as no one is offering antyhing we need.

Maybe him for Vladar as they are same salary. That's the best I can come up with.lol

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think its 50/50 on waiver claim. On the trade front there should not be any demand. No one would trade and offer value for him hoping for untapped offensive potential (like a Newhook / Dach).

There is no point trading him unless you are looking for cap relief to accommodate Connor Brown’s bonus.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think its 50/50 on waiver claim. On the trade front there should not be any demand. No one would trade and offer value for him hoping for untapped offensive potential (like a Newhook / Dach).

There is no point trading him unless you are looking for cap relief to accommodate Connor Brown’s bonus.
It would be stupid for a team like Chicago with cap space to not take a shot simply because he has no points right now . At his age for a second round pick he has absolutely outplayed his draft slot. He's also been playing as a #3C and basically holding his own defensively. He has produced in the past at a rate similar to guy like Laughton at the same age.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I heard Boston had some interest in him over the summer, but then signed Geekie and then Poitras and Beecher proved NHL ready... so I imagine that interest is more than gone.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Picks are severely overrated if a guy like McLeod can hit a few snags and his value goes in the tank. He isn't perfect but he is still an intriguing young center. Some struggles should be expected.

I can honestly say that I'd be okay with my Oilers offering up a 2nd for another McLeod level of player. The trick is that if you haven't seen him at his best its near impossible to really judge his value. And yes that would go for GMs as well

Last edited:
Reactions: ManofSteel55

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Picks are severely overrated if a guy like McLeod can hit a few snags and his value goes in the tank. He isn't perfect but he is still an intriguing young center. Some struggles should be expected.

I can honestly say that I'd be okay with my Oilers offering up a 2nd for another McLeod level of player. The trick is that if you haven't seen him at his best its near impossible to really judge his value. And yes that would go for GMs as well
You seem cheezed that no non oilers fan has expressed any interest in McLeod. There is little to no interest for a reason. Every team has a ryan mcleod type or 2.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Not sure why you would trade McLeod. He played quite well last season for the Oilers. Too many people make way too much out of the silly season of the NHL (The first 10 games) Long way to go yet. People knee jerk and jump the gun like crazy on here.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not sure why you would trade McLeod. He played quite well last season for the Oilers. Too many people make way too much out of the silly season of the NHL (The first 10 games) Long way to go yet. People knee jerk and jump the gun like crazy on here.
Still feel the same way? He's been useless and noticeably useless.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
You seem cheezed that no non oilers fan has expressed any interest in McLeod. There is little to no interest for a reason. Every team has a ryan mcleod type or 2.
I'm a big McLeod fan and totally agree. Big skating, hard working guys that can't finish are not that hard to find. He needs to take an offensive step or realize that he needs to be better than a guy like Tomas Nosek to find steady NHL work.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm a big McLeod fan and totally agree. Big skating, hard working guys that can't finish are not that hard to find. He needs to take an offensive step or realize that he needs to be better than a guy like Tomas Nosek to find steady NHL work.
McLeod reminds me of Chad Kilger. You always wanted to see more from him but never got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad