Player Discussion Ryan Mcleod

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
This team is at the point where they need to actively seek out / retain the ever so elusive playoff performers. It isn't the first playoffs that Janmark has had a palpable impact on. One other example being his memorable hat trick for Vegas in game 7. And if Brown was playing for a contract, it seems strange that he took the $1M to stay here, as it is an absolute certainty he would have gotten more on the open market. The player has come on since healing up from the injury, which isn't a shock

Even if he has a slow start or is uneven during the season, that's quite alright as they have the horses elsewhere and he's being paid nearly league minimum. McLeod's $2.1 carried the expectation to produce, and outside of getting zoomed by Draisaitl (you can't deny that), his offensive production was entirely lackluster.

McLeod was a passenger much of the season, and playoffs, and he also nearly gave away game 7 vs the Canucks in a game that the Oilers had complete control over. Someone else posted that was the moment he was done here, I wouldn't be surprised if that is when Knoblauch and Jackson decided they wanted to move on

There's a chance he carries on and does well in Buffalo, but they couldn't afford him here for what they were getting out of him.
The Oilers having the horses elsewhere usually means its the same lot hauling the cart every year like McDrai, Hyman, Booch, Nuge.

Like I've stated of the players the Oilers have obtained Henrique is the clear best one by miles. Skinner is a half court player that doesn't even care about ownzone and Arviddsson has had several injuries and is older now and less impactful now.

I love Henrique and Janmark. I don't know I'm gonna love the total game from Skinner, and I've seen Arviddson more than anybody on this board. He'll help at times but he won't be able to bring it for long stretches and he may not even be able to play as much as we'd like. Agreed that Janmark is a clear playoff performer. Seems to elevate.

We rode HYman and others hard this season and playoffs. Like as in the case of Nuge there will be fallback there too. I'm not as convinced the Oilers don't have stumbles coming up. I don't think just because of these name signings that we're set.

I dunno, for some reason I'm having trouble with the views on Oilers after how we lost. Really figured we should've won. Team probably responds well but I'm not there yet. lol the final result gutted me because it was there. That was our cup.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The Oilers having the horses elsewhere usually means its the same lot hauling the cart every year like McDrai, Hyman, Booch, Nuge.

Like I've stated of the players the Oilers have obtained Henrique is the clear best one by miles. Skinner is a half court player that doesn't even care about ownzone and Arviddsson has had several injuries and is older now and less impactful now.

I love Henrique and Janmark. I don't know I'm gonna love the total game from Skinner, and I've seen Arviddson more than anybody on this board. He'll help at times but he won't be able to bring it for long stretches and he may not even be able to play as much as we'd like. Agreed that Janmark is a clear playoff performer. Seems to elevate.

We rode HYman and others hard this season and playoffs. Like as in the case of Nuge there will be fallback there too. I'm not as convinced the Oilers don't have stumbles coming up. I don't think just because of these name signings that we're set.

I dunno, for some reason I'm having trouble with the views on Oilers after how we lost. Really figured we should've won. Team probably responds well but I'm not there yet. lol

Well, it won't be this time. They have the entire third line back, including Henrique, and more importantly, real top 6 wingers added in J Skinner and Arvidsson. Your skepticism about these adds is understandable but there is also a likelihood that J Skinner is a player that can be readily sheltered on this team, and the Oilers have needed a sniper since Kane's injuries. Arvidsson has a health question mark but he was good in the playoffs (as usual).

I don't know, I was disappointed as anyone after the loss but I was also at peace after they went down 3-0. These comebacks never happen for a reason. Needing 4 wins in a row in an entirely different game state (Finals > Playoffs > Regular Season etc) is an incredibly difficult ask. I see the game 7 loss as a combination of things: bad ice (home ice is vital this year) that favoured the home team, no last change, a couple of critical mistakes that ended up in the back of the net, and lack of finish from the top guns (felt they finally got back to gripping their sticks after playing with house money). You leave everything to one game and it's still a coin flip.

It is what it is, they have an opportunity to make it back this year, some players will be better and some will be worse. All they can do is give it everything they got and try to win it all this year. They will be a very motivated group.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, it won't be this time. They have the entire third line back, including Henrique, and more importantly, real top 6 wingers added in J Skinner and Arvidsson. Your skepticism about these adds is understandable but there is also a likelihood that J Skinner is a player that can be readily sheltered on this team, and the Oilers have needed a sniper since Kane's injuries. Arvidsson has a health question mark but he was good in the playoffs (as usual).

I don't know, I was disappointed as anyone after the loss but I was also at peace after they went down 3-0. These comebacks never happen for a reason. Needing 4 wins in a row in an entirely different game state (Finals > Playoffs > Regular Season etc) is an incredibly difficult ask. I see the game 7 loss as a combination of things: bad ice (home ice is vital this year) that favoured the home team, no last change, a couple of critical mistakes that ended up in the back of the net, and lack of finish from the top guns (felt they finally got back to gripping their sticks after playing with house money). You leave everything to one game and it's still a coin flip.

It is what it is, they have an opportunity to make it back this year, some players will be better and some will be worse. All they can do is give it everything they got and try to win it all this year. They will be a very motivated group.

Yes though I still marvel at Canadian teams getting no puck luck in game 7 SFC at all. You'd figure after like 5 different Finals (Vancouver '94, Calgary '04, Edmonton '06, Vancouver '11, Edmonton '24) a Canadian team would get a damn bounce or two to go their way in a SCF game 7, just doesn't seem to happen.

As I said in those 5 games with a Canadian team in game 7 of a SCF, the Canadian team has never even had a lead for one second of any of the 5 games. You almost have to laugh at how improbable that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad