tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Koistin-Celebrini-Tofolli
Wennberg-Smith-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
Grundstrom

Assuming Couture is injured:

Top 6: Eklund, Granlund, Zetterlund, Tofolli, and Celebrini (1 available)
Top 9: Wennberg, Smith (1 available)
Next up: Koistin, Dellandrea, Grundstrom, Goodrow, Kunin, Bordeleau, Gushchin

Bords and Gushchin are 22, you want a spot go beat out four of Koistin, Dellandrea, Grundstrom, Kunin and Goodrow. I like that they have to beat NHL caliber guys, but it's not like we have 9 top 6 forwards. If either takes a significant step they can earn that top 6 spot. I will say aside from Wennberg, the other six top 9 forwards pencilled in are also smallish (Celebrini and Zetts are/will be short tanks). Koistin, Goodrow and Musty/Chernyshov (in future years) bring needed size to the top 9. Gushchin and Bords do not.

Would love to see either force themselves into the lineup though.
Internal competition among the bottom six is a smart development strategy

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Internal competition among the bottom six is a smart development strategy

Strongly agree. Aside from maybe being one player too rich (did we need each of Goodrow, Grundstrom, Dellandrea, and Kunin?) I love the idea of 'go beat out NHL caliber players'. There's no point in a young player getting 8-10 minutes on a fourth line, unless their upside is bottom six guy.

However, if/when Sturm's gone, I'd rather move Goody into that spot than Bordeleau, as an example. Rather have one too many vets than one too few. I wanted Goody, but I anticipated he'd be coming with a 1st.... for free I had/have no interest. His contract is horrible, but doesn't impact us at all, and I'm sure his leadership, commitment and professionalism will rub off on some young guys.

On LHD we're seeing it a bit as well. Muk and Dickinson want to play, then beat out 1-2 of Walman, Ferraro, Thrun, and Vlasic (who I'd bet will play RHD). On RHD our qualifications are...less stringent.

I'd imagine we'll also be drafting a forward with our 2025 1st, we're the betting favorite for a top 3 pick, and think Schaefer is a step down from the three top forwards. Add Martone/Frondell/Hagens and perhaps Musty and it becomes increasingly difficult for a 2nd tier guy to crack that top 9. Still a spot available though.

Reactions: Sleeper Shark

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Blues guy passing thru.....

I love it when high 2nd-round picks find some success. Bordeleau is a decent player and the fact that he will most likely be forced to the AHL is, imo, indicative of what Mike Grier has been able to do as your GM. He is smart and tough.

Best of luck!!

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

I love it when high 2nd-round picks find some success. Bordeleau is a decent player and the fact that he will most likely be forced to the AHL is, imo, indicative of what Mike Grier has been able to do as your GM. He is smart and tough.

Best of luck!!
Much appreciated and thank you for the nice words.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Best of luck!!
Grier has done an amazing job backfilling Doug Wilson Jr.'s squandered draft classes. Nobody from our 2018 class was going to help us so he acquired Emberson and Dellandrea, nobody from our 2019 class was panning out so he acquired Thrun and Okhotyuk and our 2020 class is now on its last legs but at least we have a chance to get NHL games from Shakir Mukhamadullin and Jack Thompson.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Grier has done an amazing job backfilling Doug Wilson Jr.'s squandered draft classes. Nobody from our 2018 class was going to help us so he acquired Emberson and Dellandrea, nobody from our 2019 class was panning out so he acquired Thrun and Okhotyuk and our 2020 class is now on its last legs but at least we have a chance to get NHL games from Shakir Mukhamadullin and Jack Thompson.
Yes. Your bottom six, with decent goaltending, should result in far fewer goals allowed.

Shaping up to be one of the better bottom six lineups in the WC.

Grier has a vision. Also, kinda cool that he was drafted by the Blues in the 9th round way back in 1951 or something like that. 😉

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
Step 1: Fire your agent immediately

Step 2: Prove that you belong at the NHL level this year with a good 200 ft game and be prepared to be packaged with another asset so Grier can fill the bigger holes on defense and in net.

Am a fan of Bordeleau but Grier has a different vision for his roster and Thomas missed his opportunity to stick. Grier is giving him another opportunity to build equity.

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
San Jose, CA
Just watched his media availability video. Nice insights on his offseason, getting over injuries, wearing #17 instead of Macklin, and other tidbits.

Interesting that he's been hurt in recent years and seems to be ready to go now. Perhaps we haven't seen him at 100% yet. I'm pulling for him to make the roster and take the next step, I really like his game and his attitude and hope he pans out long term here.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
He’s gonna get traded either way, me thinks. I don’t think he’ll be sent down. He’ll just play his way to a trade. And since we’re still tanking, his success or failure will be a win.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
He’s gonna get traded either way, me thinks. I don’t think he’ll be sent down. He’ll just play his way to a trade. And since we’re still tanking, his success or failure will be a win.
Other than the characterization that we're still tanking (which I don't agree with but that's a whole
'nother can of worms), I think you're right on Bords. I think he's getting traded at some point.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
An overpaid, over used, useless forward? How about no please.
To be honest, the NHL era of waiting for a while for someone to become their best is gone. The Gregor, Rudolfs Balcers or Labanc were in the lingering of Wilson past era. GM Mike Grier is less patience with unproductive prospects and he will ship them out ASAP i.e. Ozzy Wiesblatt, Ryan Merkley, Artimi Kniazev, Adam Raska. So Bordeleau, Eklund, Guschin, Muk, Chrona and Thrun all have been in the Sharks system for a while and they need to prove they belong here or will be shipped out soon too. Granted defensemen and goalie take a bit longer to mature. So by any measure, Bordelau is not alone this situation.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
To be honest, the NHL era of waiting for a while for someone to become their best is gone. The Gregor, Rudolfs Balcers or Labanc were in the lingering of Wilson past era. GM Mike Grier is less patience with unproductive prospects and he will ship them out ASAP i.e. Ozzy Wiesblatt, Ryan Merkley, Artimi Kniazev, Adam Raska. So Bordeleau, Eklund, Guschin, Muk, Chrona and Thrun all have been in the Sharks system for a while and they need to prove they belong here or will be shipped out soon too. Granted defensemen and goalie take a bit longer to mature. So by any measure, Bordelau is not alone this situation.
I think it’s player dependent. GMMG was very willing to bring in reclamation players such as Zadina to see if they could revive their careers. So why wouldn’t he be willing to give players like Bordeleau a chance?

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

I think it’s player dependent. GMMG was very willing to bring in reclamation players such as Zadina to see if they could revive their careers. So why wouldn’t he be willing to give players like Bordeleau a chance?

Weisblatt, Raska, and Merkley had pretty clearly demonstrated they aren’t NHL players. I think Grier needed a right shot dman in the system and a Kniazev/Gawanke trade was like for like as two borderline guys looking to make the jump (a year later and both are playing in their home leagues).

Eklund is clearly an NHL player, and is projecting as a quality top 6 winger. Pretty sure he’s not at risk of being “shipped out” LOL. Likewise, Thrun has shown he can hang in the NHL, and with a bit of improvement is likely a guy you like having on your third pairing. Bordeleau certainly has NHL ability on the power play, needs to show he can make a difference at evens. Guschin just went a point-a-game in the AHL; showing positive progression. Muk has all the tools, and a grand total of 3 NHL games. I think all these guys got a bit of time before Grier’s gonna give up on them.

My point being that I suspect none of the guys you highlighted are at risk of just being dumped. They may move in a hockey trade to bring in something else the team needs, but I highly doubt Grier is considering just yeeting them for nothing.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Bords going to get showcased and traded for sure. Almost no way he fits into an ideal top 6 here and no way he should play a bottom 6 role. I do hope that he gets a real run of games in the NHL this year to see what he's actually got

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Other than the characterization that we're still tanking (which I don't agree with but that's a whole
'nother can of worms), I think you're right on Bords. I think he's getting traded at some point.
I guess I should have said we're still rebuilding. we already did the tank part

Reactions: coooldude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad