TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don't think his value will be very high. He is a lot of years removed from being a top end winger and has two more years at 8.7.

Some may value him higher, but from the Canucks POV I'd offer Garland, 2025 1st, and prospect not named Lekkerimaki or Wallander for Laine @4.8. Just spit balling, no ideal what CBJs needs are or how high they'd value him.

EDIT: To clarify, I factored health and availability to play in my comment regarding him not being a top end winger for years. He's missed ~50% of the games over the past 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't think his value will be very high. He is a lot of years removed from being a top end winger and has two more years at 8.7.

Some may value him higher, but from the Canucks POV I'd offer Garland, 2025 1st, and prospect not named Lekkerimaki or Wallander for Laine @4.8. Just spit balling, no ideal what CBJs needs are or how high they'd value him.
I mean, when he actually plays, he has been a top line winger for Columbus, infact his highest PPG seasons have been the two seasons before this one.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Is this a Tomy DeAngelo situation? 1 year prove it deal?
What? Laine is under contract for two more years, and he can actually play. If he's healthy, he's well worth the caphit actually. You can say whatever you want about his effort and two-way game (most of the people who have an issue with those don't actually watch him lol), but he absolutely can produce points for your team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I could see something like that working. Garland being a feisty type isn't a need but it is a potentially useful want.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
There will still be a divorce between the two. Waddell has been pretty clear that they will honor his wishes, but on CBJ terms. He wants a hockey trade and as the CBJ is not under cap constraints I don't think Waddell will mind waiting into the season and telling Patrik that he needs to play well to get his value back up to facilitate a better option.

There will still be interest as his age, skill, size all will tantalize a GM. His AAV isn't ideal based on recent injury history and placement in PAP, but if he shows the right things and says the right things (desire to excel in the NHL again), I think the tone changes. Not every team can make something happen but he's not washed up and still has desirable skills. CBJ likely retains for the best deal, or takes a contract back, but with only 2 years it's like a bridge deal (an expensive one) so it wouldn't be a long term killer contract like if he were a UFA

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean, when he actually plays, he has been a top line winger for Columbus, infact his highest PPG seasons have been the two seasons before this one.

In which he missed 25-30 games and he's currently dealing with another shoulder rehab.

Mind you, I think Columbus should get some value from him but it's not going to be representative of his talent level IMO. Apparently they're looking for picks and prospects anyways.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
He is 7 months removed from being a top end winger. This is the game he got injured the last time

7 minutes of ice time, 1 goal and +2.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Am I off base thinking that Utah is a pretty good fit? They can afford his caphit as it is, they probably want some stars and interesting names, and they have plenty of picks and prospects in their system.
My guesses have been Utah and Seattle this whole time. Not sure what could work trade wise though.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Huge risk for any team willing to take a chance. Not only the money, but what happens if he slips again. Avs experienced it in the playoffs. I would take him for free, but wouldn't give up much of anything to take on that kind of risk.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Release the endless trade proposals!

clash-of-titans-zeus.gif

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Am I off base thinking that Utah is a pretty good fit? They can afford his caphit as it is, they probably want some stars and interesting names, and they have plenty of picks and prospects in their system.

I don't think you're too off base and I'm not a Utah fan but taking a quick glance at their lineup and roster, I feel like a winger isn't too big of a need for them. They got Crouse, Schmaltz, Keller, and Macceli on the wings. Doan and Guenther will likely be given a very good opportunity and I think Iginla makes the lineup sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Friedman said he's still recovering from the surgery.
When and link.
I’ve had broken collarbones, and didn’t have the treatment Laine would have have, was back playing in 2 months, felt 100% after 3-4 months.

He’s not still recovering from collarbone, unless has carpal tunnel from Fortnite now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad