Confirmed with Link: Ryan McLeod & Ty Tullio traded to Buffalo for Matthew Savoie

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Does Krebs even have much value? I think there is a 50% chance he clears if he gets waived sometime this year.
I would do Krebs, next years 1st protected, and one of Ostlund or Rosen for a top 6F. Saying this I think Edm would of been the best spot to send Krebs ?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Savoie could never stay healthy. Every time I wanted to watch him play, another injury would come up. His size is a major factor. Savoie was the prospect I wanted to trade. I don't trust guys that can't stay healthy, exact reason I wouldnt find getting rid of Quinn.

Reactions: jmelm

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
There is so much copium in this thread. Yes we needed to fill a need and McLeod does it but in what world do you trade a former top 10 pick and your best forward spec for a 3rd liner? You're telling me Adams couldn't find a comparable player in free agency or for cheaper? There is no justifying the cost of acquiring McLeod here

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is so much copium in this thread. Yes we needed to fill a need and McLeod does it but in what world do you trade a former top 10 pick and your best forward spec for a 3rd liner? You're telling me Adams couldn't find a comparable player in free agency or for cheaper? There is no justifying the cost of acquiring McLeod here
Prospects don’t carry the trade value you think they do.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It was always difficult to find a place for Savoie on this team long-term. He needs to be in the top-6 to be effective - but who is he going to displace? Quinn? Peterka? Benson? Tuch?

I've been down on Savoie for a bit now as a prospect. Seemed like he peaked early and hasn't developed as the Sabres had hoped. He's also fairly consistently banged up.

With all that being said though - this is an overpay. No way around it. Does it make our team better next year? Yes. Does it fill a need? Yes. Is this lopsided in terms of value? Yes.
Value is a weird thing. Sabres have all these "valuable" assets, yet they have not made the playoffs in thirteen years. What's the point of equal value if the aggregate is a team that can't succeed.

This trade made them better. I guarantee the other teams in the east wish the Sabres weren't making their roster better.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
UFA didn't have such a player. Adams himself is to blame, he painted himself into a corner, he took a lot of small forwards in the drafts, and now any GM of the league knows that Adams is in the hot seat and will be ready to overpay. I really liked Savoy, but he is not without his minuses, size and injury history. And we also have a lot of prospects with whom something needs to be done.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If there is one thing that a poster like me is known for it’s definitely how I put positive spins on things and not that I look at things through a lens of unapologetic stark realism.

McLeod is good. Now. At a position of value. Savoie is a great prospect. One of a half dozen I have at forward alone.

I have enough prospects of value as prospects still in that cupboard for all of my concern to be on the quality of the team some of them inevitably break into. That got better today. For the first time in a long time.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Who knows though, Savoie could have been ready to make the step this year as a speedy 3C with top line upside. I have no idea how they couldn’t make this move with a lesser prospect.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Sabres fans, I know nothing about Savoie, how close is he to the NHL?

I’m McLeod, you are getting one of the best defensive 3Cs and PK guys in the league. Our bottom 6 was unplayable before he got here, he really stabilized the bottom 6 after Mcdrai. Responsible , super fast, but would probably be a 2nd liner if he could up his intensity more. Still, he improves your team today and he’s only 24. I’m a bigger fan of him than many, he’s as close as you can get to a perfect 3C in the regular season. Wish him the best.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Who knows though, Savoie could have been ready to make the step this year as a speedy 3C with top line upside. I have no idea how they couldn’t make this move with a lesser prospect.
Or not, we don't know, but I don't want to rely on luck again and want to get a legit 3C and not think about this problem anymore.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Echoing what a couple Oilers fans have already said, but McLeod has got probably 30 pt upside on the 3rd line and usually has excellent defensive analytics.

Oilers fans have soured on him a bit after these playoffs, the knock on him is he is deathly allergic to physical contact. Frustrating at times for sure, but at the very least he’ll be an effective regular season player.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I don't love the price but Savoie was pretty much expendable after this year's draft. I'm interested in our upgraded bottom 6 as a backbone for our offense but I'm still not totally sure where the offense is coming from yet. I think Savoie was likely starting in Rochester this year and frankly, if he's not a lock to be helping the team this year in a tangible way, you can still squeeze some value out of him in a trade before taking a gamble and I can make peace with that. I'm not going to make excuses for Kevyn because I think this is a reactionary trade rather than a proactive one but the market has to be pretty slim if this is the price people are shaking out of us.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Good trade. Gotta give to get. Center spine is set. On to fine tuning the D.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres fans, I know nothing about Savoie, how close is he to the NHL?

I’m McLeod, you are getting one of the best defensive 3Cs and PK guys in the league. Our bottom 6 was unplayable before he got here, he really stabilized the bottom 6 after Mcdrai. Responsible , super fast, but would probably be a 2nd liner if he could up his intensity more. Still, he improves your team today and he’s only 24. I’m a bigger fan of him than many, he’s as close as you can get to a perfect 3C in the regular season. Wish him the best.
If he doesn't play a lot this year, he'll play a lot next year. IMO, he's a wing in the NHL and not a center (which is better for you guys).

Thanks for the report on McLeod -- any opinion on Tullio at all?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad