GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
You obviously play him 2nd line W unless you have an injury. Zegras can play center, just not full time.
Top 6 potential - Demidov, Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Hage
Middle 6 - Newhook, Roy, Beck, Kapanen
I would prefer to add some who is at least big or physical.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Says who though?

Maybe Savoie isn't as hghky rated as people think?
I would assume a 9th overall pick who has kept producing as a 9th overall pick has more value than this.

Should I give the benefit of the doubt to the management team of the franchise that has the longest playoff drought in the NHL or the one that missed winning the Cup by one game?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think you might be right.

After drafting Demidov, KH talked about a trade he was working on that wasn't necessary anymore because he would get a ''duplicate''.
My guess is he was talking about Necas or Zegras.
People will still be going after popular redundant or not.
I've always looked at it from a glaring hole in the line up perspective.
We need six pillars and six support pillars IMO.
8 and 4 or 9 and 3.
Suzuki Slaf Caufield Dach Newhook Roy Demidov Hage Flojack Beck
Reinbacher Mailloux Barron Xhekaj Hutson Engstrom
These are the top candidates as we speak.
The idea is to have interchangeability when necessary players able to play up or down.
We are almost there if everything pans out then it comes down to getting the right glue guys and muscle.
We'll save goaltending for it's own thread. :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would assume a 9th overall pick who has kept producing as a 9th overall pick has more value than this.
Key word being “assume”.
Should I give the benefit of the doubt to the management team of the franchise that has the longest playoff drought in the NHL or the one that missed winning the Cup by one game?
You can give credit to whomever you want, as though any of that has anything to do with this deal (it doesn't).

I just presented the possibility that perhaps he doesn't have as much value as you think.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah it's incredible really lol
All the 'habs did nothing!! Bottom 5 finish again!!' posts are like.. wha?
What and who exactly did people realistically expect??

The SECOND we were given a miracle and drafted Demigod
I wanted to sign *zero* free agents

And I just can't understand why people would want to handcuff the team WHILE we are currently dealing with not one but TWO incredible anchor contracts still..

Just doesn't make any sense at all really
And why not give Roy and Newhook a chance in the top 6?

If we make a worthwhile trade and not give up anything important then fine but all in all, give the kids a chance.

Reactions: Tyson and Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Went through all the UFA's still out there Yikes...

One guy I'm curious about and I always thought would be a good role player in the NHL was Liam Foudy.
He at least can skate like the wind and played a decent role for Canada in the U20.
Never worked out not physical enough on a fourth line?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah exactly, that's why I didn't want to sign any free agents lol

Not the time, and team is full anyway
That's what I've been saying since at least March.
We are in no rush to sign the missing piece(s) when we are still evaluating what we have on hand.
I've always thought any piece(s) we could possibly want would have to fall out of the sky if it came this season.
I think we are hoping our Dcorps gains in value from top to bottom Matheson/Savard excluded to help us make the move next season.
The thing is our needs may change dramatically if some of these kids catch on fire.
I still hate our bottom 6 for now.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Agreed! Habs will get organically better and they have added a 6'4 RH center to the mix! Roy, Newhook and Dach! Do it!
When you think about it the move from 26th to 21st has the potential of being a better move than either of the Dach or Newhook trades!

Reactions: Tyson

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Key word being “assume”.

You can give credit to whomever you want, as though any of that has anything to do with this deal (it doesn't).

I just presented the possibility that perhaps he doesn't have as much value as you think.
Okay, I still think it’s a terrible trade. I wouldn’t trade a 1st round pick for a 3rd liner, let alone a 9th overall pick from two years ago. McLeod has hit his potential. Savoie’s still has Top 6 ability.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Okay, I still think it’s a terrible trade. I wouldn’t trade a 1st round pick for a 3rd liner, let alone a 9th overall pick from two years ago. McLeod has hit his potential. Savoie’s still has Top 6 ability.
I mean in theory, sure, not so sure these things are absolutes either.

We’ll find out soon enough but maybe the Sabrea (and other teams) just aren't as high on Savoie as fans are.

Its not like Savoie is a can't miss prospect either.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

We’ll find out soon enough but maybe the Sabrea (and other teams) just aren't as high on Savoie as fans are.

He is a pretty solid prospect for sure. A level like McGrotesque from Winnipeg. If this is the ask for this kind of prospect I would be all over getting McGro as a cheap asset.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

I agree with this, and, it's still a bit surprising that the Sabres couldn't find even 1 GM that valued him more than for easily obtainable spare parts.

Seems a very poor asset management decision, especially with the cap room and diversity of needs the Sabres have... It's not like landing McLeod moves the needle much more them

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Went through all the UFA's still out there Yikes...

One guy I'm curious about and I always thought would be a good role player in the NHL was Liam Foudy.
He at least can skate like the wind and played a decent role for Canada in the U20.
Never worked out not physical enough on a fourth line?
There’s always a Carter Verhaeghe or Marchessault out there looking for the right fit + opportunity

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree with this, and, it's still a bit surprising that the Sabres couldn't find even 1 GM that valued him more than for easily obtainable spare parts.

Seems a very poor asset management decision, especially with the cap room and diversity of needs the Sabres have... It's not like landing McLeod moves the needle much more them
Yeah its certainly surprising, they clearly soured on Savoie, time will tell if that was the right call but I think people are jumping to conclusions too quickly.

Maybe it ends up as bad as the Forsberg vs Erat trade or maybe he's one of those tweeners and they got something for him before hia value was completely sapped.

dauv

Sep 23, 2022

Attachments

• brad.gif
    brad.gif
    141.9 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad