GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I see your point but i respectfully disagree with the example you provided.

Mailloux is in my opinion much more valuable than Savoie. And Jeannot is a lot worse than McLeod.

For Savoie to be packaged for Necas, first, the Canes need to be interested in Savoie which i think is dubious. He is a smallish forward living on his name and his draft rank much more than on what he did since being drafted. Personally, i just don't see the enticement in this player.
Savoie is still trending upwards. He’s done nothing but produce since being drafted. He was the best player in the WHL last year in his limited games.

The point of the comparison was to show how ridiculous the trade was. Trading a really good young player because you have an abundance at the position for a depth role player.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think he would be better than Anderson in the top six playing with Newhook and Dach. He's only 27. Four years at $4 million which is a bit higher than both Newhook and Dach ?
That's worse than Alzner's deal. It also blocks our prospects in year 3-4.

1-2 year 1-1.5 million for a guy like Sprong.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Could bring Sprong and Barabanov to camp on PTOs unless Hughes makes a trade for a top6.

Make Roy win his spot.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I am think 2 years x 3. This would be his 6th team already and for that reason alone I wouldn't commit for more than 2 seasons.

That's worse than Alzner's deal. It also blocks our prospects in year 3-4.

1-2 year 1-1.5 million for a guy like Sprong.
You may be right. The reasoning was four years and $4 million since Sprong is likely looking for some sort of term longer than two or three years after bouncing around so much. UFA and 20 goals means a bit more money than Dach and Newhook short term in a world where players like Mike Hoffman get $4 million. In the end, I think he is a better option than Anderson playing with Dach and Newhook.

Reactions: Tyson

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

If we don't acquire a Necas/Zegras/Laine/McGroarthy, I would be down to get Kakko. He's only 23 and had 40 pts two seasons ago.
The thing is he doesn’t move the needle at all. He’s not better than Newhook or Roy. In fact we’d have a hard time saying he’s better than Gallagher and Anderson. 9 points in 44 playoff games, just awful.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You may be right. The reasoning was four years and $4 million since Sprong is likely looking for some sort of term longer than two or three years after bouncing around so much. UFA and 20 goals means a bit more money than Dach and Newhook short term in a world where players like Mike Hoffman get $4 million. In the end, I think he is a better option than Anderson playing with Dach and Newhook.

Sprong bounced around for a reason. He's similar to Andrighetto as he will score if given minutes, but doesn't provide much else. He would get replaced after a year and then be an anchor in the bottom 6. It would not be that surprising for him to not get a contract at all.

Hoffman got 4 million because he was a 30+ goalscorer once upon a time.

Hughes was clear that if they get a guy, it's on a short term deal to not block the kids.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The thing is he doesn’t move the needle at all. He’s not better than Newhook or Roy. In fact we’d have a hard time saying he’s better than Gallagher and Anderson. 9 points in 44 playoff games, just awful.
A change of scenery and a legitimate opportunity may be all that's needed.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A change of scenery and a legitimate opportunity may be all that's needed.
I think we are at the point of the rebuild where we should add legitimate upgrades as opposed to a project that we need to figure out. He’s played 5 seasons, I just don’t see him taking it to anywhere near the level people thought before the draft.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Sprong bounced around for a reason. He's similar to Andrighetto as he will score if given minutes, but doesn't provide much else. He would get replaced after a year and then be an anchor in the bottom 6. It would not be that surprising for him to not get a contract at all.

Hoffman got 4 million because he was a 30+ goalscorer once upon a time.

Hughes was clear that if they get a guy, it's on a short term deal to not block the kids.
Agreed . I'm biased by Sprong's good season in Seattle where I saw him play a few times. I haven't seen any games with Detroit. The kid can score. I did read in some articles subsequently on how he was a healthy scratch in March. You keep thinking that a better environment will help someone who is after all only 27 and has plenty of natural ability. Plenty of those in the league however.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

If we don't acquire a Necas/Zegras/Laine/McGroarthy, I would be down to get Kakko. He's only 23 and had 40 pts two seasons ago.
I would just scratch Zegras from the list as the need for this kind of asset totally disappeared with drafting Demidov and Hage. We do not have the best assets for McGroarthy trade, but I would say we are prime candidates to land one of Necas/Laine. And we might still land Kaako on top of that, depends if Rangers can trade away Trouba.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I liked Kakko as a reclamation project as well before I saw him closely in the playoffs. After that, I was completely off him. He was awful. No grit, gave up on plays, soft and didn't do anything to help the team.

I think the prospects we have deserve the spot more than he does and they wouldn't cost anything.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would just scratch Zegras from the list as the need for this kind of asset totally disappeared with draftinh Demidov and Hage. We do not have the best assets for McGroarthy trade, but I would say we are prime candidates to land one of Necas/Laine. And we might still land Kaako on top of that, depends if Rangers can trade away Trouba.
Why don't you think we have good assets to trade for Macgroarty? Just curious

Reactions: Gustave

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would just scratch Zegras from the list as the need for this kind of asset totally disappeared with drafting Demidov and Hage. We do not have the best assets for McGroarthy trade, but I would say we are prime candidates to land one of Necas/Laine. And we might still land Kaako on top of that, depends if Rangers can trade away Trouba.
I wonder why you think that. Habs have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL, millions in cap and I think would actually be one of the better trade partners with the Jets who needs young, cheap players under team control so they can hold on to them longer. All things Habs have in spades. Habs may not want to pay the price asked, but they can certainly afford it.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Why don't you think we have good assets to trade for Macgroarty? Just curious
We do not have too many players who would be attractive for contending team and do not have some kind of trade protection. Armia, Evans, Savard. I do not think WPG is looking for picks or B prospects.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Montreal was a really bad defensive team and Kakko brings a lot of value there. I wouldn't want Montreal to pay a lot for him and he strikes me as a player that a portion of fans would not like at all (he's not fast, a good playmaker, a heavy forechecker or physical). If Montreal was moving a spare LD (like a Struble or Harris) then gambling on pedigree makes a lot of sense, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.

Non needle mover for non needle mover.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Savoie is still trending upwards. He’s done nothing but produce since being drafted. He was the best player in the WHL last year in his limited games.

The point of the comparison was to show how ridiculous the trade was. Trading a really good young player because you have an abundance at the position for a depth role player.
That was definitely a mind boggling trade. If Savoie develop his ELC and potentially bridge contract will help Edmonton a lot. Great trade for them for sure.

Reactions: Tyson

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I’m wondering if Hughes does anything this year for the top 6. I’m not sure he really needs to. Unless there’s a reasonable move to be made, I can see Roy getting a shot on the 2nd. They aren’t contending this year, so why give up a lot and block a younger player? If Roy can’t perform and Demidov isn’t ready, then make a move. I don’t think there’s a rush to do something this season. I honestly think Roy would do well with Dach and Newhook..

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
We do not have too many players who would be attractive for contending team and do not have some kind of trade protection. Armia, Evans, Savard. I do not think WPG is looking for picks or B prospects.
Maybe but Mcgroarty wasn’t in their lineup. It’s not like he was taking a roster spot. They could be looking for prospects and picks

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
& why wouldn't you want Daniel Sprong in your locker room? What have you heard?
He was probably the most hated player when he was in the Q, I won’t go to far in details because I don’t think it’s the place to do it but I rarely saw a player with such a bad reputation in the past 10 yrs

Reactions: dinodebino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad