RW Tyler Boucher - Belleville Senators, AHL (2021, 10th, OTT)

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Rangers were apparently very interested which is why the Senators took him early. So the Rangers baited the Senators into taking Boucher way too early and baited the Flyers into taking Jay O'Brien way too early LMFAO.

I can completely buy the idea the Rangers were into Boucher, would have perfectly lined up with their drafting record up to that point in time.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I can't see much of a breakout year coming for him, really. Not statistically, at least. He's going to be far down the depth chart on a fairly deep Belleville roster. Likely earmarked to play on a bang-and-crash 4th line with Keean Washkurak and Hayden Hodgson.

Just staying healthy would be a massive victory for him at this point.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I can't see much of a breakout year coming for him, really. Not statistically, at least. He's going to be far down the depth chart on a fairly deep Belleville roster. Likely earmarked to play on a bang-and-crash 4th line with Keean Washkurak and Hayden Hodgson.

From potential future Tom Wilson to playing on a 4th line in the A with Keean Washkurak, woof.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

What's so deep about the team? It has a few players that could provide NHL value in the future. The rest are career minor leaguers.

Why wouldn't they give him real playing time? Not doing so is trying to sabotage him. Smart teams give their high picks every chance to succeed.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
What's so deep about the team? It has a few players that could provide NHL value in the future. The rest are career minor leaguers.

Why wouldn't they give him real playing time? Not doing so is trying to sabotage him. Smart teams give their high picks every chance to succeed.
Teams loaded with career minor leaguers are the ones that tend to win in the AHL. That's what constitutes depth at that level.

Boucher is not going to be 'given' anything. He's going to have to earn icetime by taking it away from the 7 or 8 guys he'll be competing with to get bottom-6 minutes. Is he better than Jamieson Rees, Wyatt Bongiovanni, Oskar Pettersson, Cole Reinhardt, Keean Washkurak, Hayden Hodgson, and Jake Chiasson? Not from what I've seen.

You can forget about his draft status; it just doesn't matter anymore. The current regime running things in Ottawa have no loyalty to this guy and no reason to prioritize his development over anybody else.

It's not even like he has high upside. What's his best-case scenario development outcome? That he becomes Paul Cotter or something?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Teams loaded with career minor leaguers are the ones that tend to win in the AHL. That's what constitutes depth at that level.

Boucher is not going to be 'given' anything. He's going to have to earn icetime by taking it away from the 7 or 8 guys he'll be competing with to get bottom-6 minutes. Is he better than Jamieson Rees, Wyatt Bongiovanni, Oskar Pettersson, Cole Reinhardt, Keean Washkurak, Hayden Hodgson, and Jake Chiasson? Not from what I've seen.

You can forget about his draft status; it just doesn't matter anymore. The current regime running things in Ottawa have no loyalty to this guy and no reason to prioritize his development over anybody else.

It's not even like he has high upside. What's his best-case scenario development outcome? That he becomes Paul Cotter or something?
Okay, so asked and answered. What you are suggesting is not a smart team.

By the way, teams give undeserving high draft picks ice time all the time. An AHL team isn't an all star team. There's ice time available for any player, if you want them to get it.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

This is precisely it.

Ottawa has an absolutely terrible, terrible prospect pool, and Boucher probably isn’t in the top 15 in their system.

- He can’t stay healthy
- When he’s healthy he hasn’t looked good in any league thus far
- His ceiling is non-existent, with everything going right they may get a journeyman 4th liner type.
- Staios, Bowman and Poulin had nothing to do with selecting him. The whole management team, along with the head scout, is gone. There is no loyalty or favouritism towards any of the prospects. The better ones will get attention.

You would think this guy has been successful everywhere he’s played the way you hear about him from some, whereas he’s been bad and injured everywhere. NCAA, OHL, and AHL. He’s a nothing prospect at this point in time, Sens will be extremely happy if he can muck out a journeyman career on the 4th.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm curious as to whether the sens management is looking at this like "hey, we didn't draft him that high, so let's just see what he can do since his value is so low"

But at the same time I'm wondering why they don't just trade him for a 4th and call it a day.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Tyler Boucher may truthfully be the worst top-10 pick in NHL history. His upside is that of a 4th liner, pure 4th liner as he has no mentionable offensive skills and is practically exclusive at defensive coverage and man to man plays, I would be highly suspect of him as a draft pick
Ryan Sittler, Alek Stojanov, Johnathan Aitken, Lance Ward, Bryan Allen, and Mike Rupp say hello

Reactions: Dan Patrick

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
People are unnecessarily harsh against a kid who's had two major injuries in the past two years and barely played. It's a hard setting to develop. He may take more time if he can get back from the injuries.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eventually? Still waiting.

Now looks like a lot of people were in fact right.
Very bad top 10 pick at the time, even worst now.
Yeah, eventually. He's 21 years old.

Give it some time before taking your victory lap. He's been injured a lot the last few years.

Let him get healthy first before you declare he's a bust and can't play.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
People just love slamming Boucher because in one single draft pick he validates everyone's opinion of Pierre Dorion. Separate the two and he wouldn't be sh1t kicked around here to nearly the same extent.

As others have said he is 21, quit beating him while he is down. I watched +- 15 games of his last year and he is a healthy season and a step or two of progression away from being a decent prospect again. There are NHL tools there, just needs the toolbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad