RW Teemu Pulkkinen (2010, 111th overall, Detroit) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
His rookie season got my hopes up and thinking "he's playing like a future superstar".

Things have changed for sure. I don't know what he's doing wrong, but i think it has something to do with over playing & trying to be something he's not.

I have to say it's a shame things got to this.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
There were several articles during pre-season camps/skates where the Wings brass talked about keeping him in Detroit, even though they couldn't send him to Grand Rapids. Ultimately they decided not to, since he would benefit more from regular playing time than sitting in the press box. So, he showed something enough to impress the DET mgmt team to consider keeping him here, even with the glut at forward DET currently has.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I heard he has a wicked shot and takes a while to get it going, and that kind of lag in timing could hurt him. However, what I saw of him in WJC, he looked like a pro calibre player to me.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
He lives and dies by his shot...when he doesn't score he looks useless on the ice. Atm he doesn't look like he will make the "Bigs". Imo he should go playing in NA right now.

Anchor Town*

I heard he has a wicked shot and takes a while to get it going, and that kind of lag in timing could hurt him. However, what I saw of him in WJC, he looked like a pro calibre player to me.

He looked terrible in the WJC...

Anchor Town*

He lives and dies by his shot...when he doesn't score he looks useless on the ice. Atm he doesn't look like he will make the "Bigs". Imo he should go playing in NA right now.

People who don't regularly watch him think he lives and dies by his shot, but the last two years he's been more of a playmaker than a sniper

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
People who don't regularly watch him think he lives and dies by his shot, but the last two years he's been more of a playmaker than a sniper
Well his playmaking skills aren't that special but his shot is...when you don't have that shot making you a living anymore you are then just regular roller coaster in SM-Liiga level.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well his playmaking skills aren't that special but his shot is...when you don't have that shot making you a living anymore you are then just regular roller coaster in SM-Liiga level.

Despite having the assist record for rookies in SM-liiga? :laugh:

Great play by Pulkkinen to set up the opening goal of the game against Pelicans just moments ago.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I'm talking about his playmaking skills compared to NHL level (now when I'm sober)...imo his playmaking skills still will not make him NHLer...his shot otherwise could. Yep that was beauty pass from Teemu :D unfortunately not many seen this season so far...

He looks too often too much lazy out there...hopefully he can get his good old form back that has been lost.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm talking about his playmaking skills compared to NHL level...imo his playmaking skills still will not make him NHLer...his shot otherwise could. Yep that was beauty pass from Teemu :D

He looks too often too much lazy out there...hopefully he can get his good old form back that has been lost.

The Jokerit fans at jatkoaika.com are saying the exact opposite, he's trying too hard. Always skating hard to defend, often the first guy back. Slashes too much while forechecking though.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I think Pulkkinen just needs a change of scenery. I hope he tries the NHL/AHL card next season.

Adam Schnepp

Jul 29, 2012
Lots of good info in this thread from today. The chatter around Detroit in the offseason seemed to be that he had an off year last season due to a combination of trying too hard and feeling the pressure that comes with setting a rookie record that used to be Selanne's. Does that sound accurate? Also, sounds like he plays a very competitive game with more attention to defense than I thought he had. That should translate well to the North American game, specifically in moving up through the ranks.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
I think Pulkkinen just needs a change of scenery. I hope he tries the NHL/AHL card next season.

He said this summer that 2013-14 season will be in NA.

This is his mentality for upcoming season "If I had to play in AHL, then I play in AHL"

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
The Jokerit fans at jatkoaika.com are saying the exact opposite, he's trying too hard. Always skating hard to defend, often the first guy back. Slashes too much while forechecking though.

glad you're here to keep my hopes alive for this guy. I don't see the games and reading the his stat line is terrible.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
glad you're here to keep my hopes alive for this guy. I don't see the games and reading the his stat line is terrible.

It looks more like a confidence issue, seems like he's one Holy Slapper goal away from finding his groove again. I only yesterday's game from the first intermission onwards but he looked decent in that. The whole team didn't look that great and as has been said in other threads, they are severely hampered by injuries right now and and have like 12 guys born in 1990 or later in the lineup and it's showing.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Few things, that might be slowing him down:

1. Tough traing at summer... those who have had pro level physical training, know that can slow you down for a while both mentally and physically.

2. The whole team is struggling and Pulkkinen is not the only player in the team, who's struggling.

3. Pulkkinen has been playing in the third line with guys, who are not scorers.

He looked terrible in the WJC...

He had he´s weakest game against Sweden. Canadians seem to think he played well, beacause he was really good against Canada.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

1. Tough traing at summer... those who have had pro level physical training, know that can slow you down for a while both mentally and physically.

2. The whole team is struggling and Pulkkinen is not the only player in the team, who's struggling.

He had he´s weakest game against Sweden. Canadians seem to think he played well, beacause he was really good against Canada.

No, he's played in the second line the whole time. Before Filppula's arrival and during Ruutu's suspension and after Ben Eaves' injury, he played with Tyrväinen and Rask, that line did not create much offense except for Rask's scoring burst against his former club(when he also played in the first pp unit).

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Before Filppula's arrival and during Ruutu's suspension and after Ben Eaves' injury, he played with Tyrväinen and Rask, that line did not create much offense except for Rask's scoring burst against his former club(when he also played in the first pp unit).

Well yes, the last six games Pulkkinen has been playing in the second line. I watched the Ilves-Jokerit game and Pulkkinen wasn't on in that game. He positioned himself well and did good decisions with the puck and showed few flashes of his playmaking ability but didn't have a good game. His linemates didn't feed him at all and in the powerplay i'd say he had zero passes from his linemates. Pulkkinen was well positioned on the left wing, but game was always going on the right wing and no passes came from the right wing to left wing. Tyrväinen was weak in that game and he was quite invisible, while Rask was the best forward in that game.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well yes, the last six games Pulkkinen has been playing in the second line. I watched the Ilves-Jokerit game and Pulkkinen wasn't on in that game. He positioned himself well and did good decisions with the puck and showed few flashes of his playmaking ability but didn't have a good game. His linemates didn't feed him at all and in the powerplay i'd say he had zero passes from his linemates. Pulkkinen was well positioned on the left wing, but game was always going on the right wing and no passes came from the right wing to left wing. Tyrväinen was weak in that game and he was quite invisible, while Rask was the best forward in that game.

That Ilves- Jokerit game was the first in which they broke up Teräväinen - Pulkkinen pairing, Riku Hahl being absent meant Teräväinen was also better suited to center Ruutu and Rita but from what I hear that didn't work out so well either. So including that Ilves game, Pulkkinen only played in the 3rd line for 3 games as he played with Teräväinen on the second line against HIFK again.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki

2. The team is not struggling, they had a struggling start to the season but in this month, Jokerit is 4-1-1-1 (W-OTW/SOW-L-OTL/SOL), which is not bad. Only thing that could affect the team not playing so "well" is injuries but it hasn't been that much of a problem. And actually there is almost no other who is struggling, since Teräväinen has stepped up with 5 points in the last 5 games. And Pulkkinen also has the worst shot percentage (1.8%) of all the guys who have scored a goal. Even Nordlund has petter shot percentage than him.

3. He has played ONLY 3 games in the third line 13 games he has played, so that's not really an argument, except if he somehow magically could have put 10 points in those 3 games i he had been playing on the 2nd line.

He's just having a really, really bad season start. I hope he improves since he is my favorite player from the whole team, and i'm anxiously waiting too see him score with that hard slap shot of his.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
2. The team is not struggling, they had a struggling start to the season but in this month, Jokerit is 4-1-1-1 (W-OTW/SOW-L-OTL/SOL), which is not bad. Only thing that could affect the team not playing so "well" is injuries but it hasn't been that much of a problem. And actually there is almost no other who is struggling, since Teräväinen has stepped up with 5 points in the last 5 games. And Pulkkinen also has the worst shot percentage (1.8%) of all the guys who have scored a goal. Even Nordlund has petter shot percentage than him.

3. He has played ONLY 3 games in the third line 13 games he has played, so that's not really an argument, except if he somehow magically could have put 10 points in those 3 games i he had been playing on the 2nd line.

He's just having a really, really bad season start. I hope he improves since he is my favorite player from the whole team, and i'm anxiously waiting too see him score with that hard slap shot of his.

Actually Ossi Väänänen is struggling though his contribution isn't measured on points. Might have something to do with playing with the youngster Lindell.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
After 15 games he has only 1 goal and 4 assists.

Well today is a new opportunity to score the second goal and get some confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad