RW Teemu Pulkkinen (2010, 111th overall, Detroit) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HTT3*

Pulks isn't producing this season. I like him as a player but my exceptions of him making it to the NHL is minimal. He's still young, so lets wait and see...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pulks isn't producing this season. I like him as a player but my exceptions of him making it to the NHL is minimal. He's still young, so lets wait and see...

He's played well recently and scored a crucial goal form a breakaway on Thursday. His team has huge issues with injuries (his linemates change practically every week) and scoring goals in general. He works his butt off every time he's on ice, plays defensively ok these days and his skating's improved. He's developing in the right direction in that aspect.

HTT3*

I'm glad to hear he is rounding out his game. My perception of him isn't new, I always felt there is a slim chance he makes the bigs. I know he's a boom or bust, but my feeling is he's more likely a bust. Out of all Detroit's prospects, I feel Pulks is the one to least likely make it.

I certainly hope he proves me wrong. If he lives up to his highest projection, he will be a good one.

Aug 6, 2012
When he comes to the AHL it could really help him (change of scenery, etc), so I'm not giving up on him until I see his game on the smaller ice.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I've been waiting for the Pulkkinen explosion but it seems NOT to happen. Didn't he put up big numbers as a rookie few years ago? And now absolutely nothing. No matter how much better all round game he has now the truth is that Pulkkinen should produce a tonne to be the player he could be.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I've been waiting for the Pulkkinen explosion but it seems NOT to happen. Didn't he put up big numbers as a rookie few years ago? And now absolutely nothing. No matter how much better all round game he has now the truth is that Pulkkinen should produce a tonne to be the player he could be.

Around ppg. And yes yes and yes.

When I first saw him this season, I was pretty excited, esp. after the report how good he had looked at prospect camp. He was skating better, played bette two-way game. He was getting chances, offensively but points didn't come. I was pretty sure he would bounce back from previous season but.. idk, I would still give him the next year at AHL.

Aug 6, 2012
Pulkkinen finally starting to produce. 6 points in his last 6 games including an assist and goal (holy slapper!) today. Really happy for Teemu, looks like his hard work is finally paying off.

Thats 14 points 32 games now. His defensive game and skating is looking much better, he's playing some PK now.

Last edited:

Anchor Town*

Can't even put up .5 PPG anymore. Talk about regression, I guess that's why he slid so far in the draft and why almost everyone was worried if he'd develop much considering his terrible skating and inconsistent and inaccurate shot

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Can't even put up .5 PPG anymore. Talk about regression, I guess that's why he slid so far in the draft and why almost everyone was worried if he'd develop much considering his terrible skating and inconsistent and inaccurate shot

So he slid so far in the draft because he regressed two years after the draft? That's a bit of an oxymoron don't you think? :laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It pretty funny how misleading just normal hockey stats can be. When going deeper with the numbers, I couldn't find anything "wrong" what Pulkkinen is doing. There's pretty much just reasonable things.

Teemu's icetime has dropped for this season. Of course, first who are trying to throw him under the bus come to say, "he should develop to be better player and got bigger role every year, not lose ice-time". That's a partial truth, but Jokerit is also more stacked team this year than in the past.

So his ice-time has dropped over 3 minutes. What does this do to his production? Of course it drops. But his production per ice time hasn't seen a big dip. He shoots more per icetime than ever. His shooting percentage has had some dip because of that, but those usually differ with every player by every year.

I remember, at erlier seasons, Teemu played as a pointman the power-play. Usually pointmen get lots of assists through that role. They send the puck in front of the goal, and all of jarkkoruutus of the world put the rebounds in. Assist to pointmen. He is missing these points because the existence of Erik Karlsson. Just is "a bit better" pointman. I wouldn't worry about missing assists at all. He is a goal scorer.

Also because of that stacked Jokerit team, Pulkkinen has played mainly on the half-defensive 3rd line with worse linemates (like Rask). That always eats your production. I could say, it eats more than his per minute drop actually is. Also this switch from left side to the right has done some things. He less vulnerable to lose the puck, but can't make the play as much. Winning hockey, less scoring, but better defence.

His 2010-11 season was just "too good", inflated with some stats and people are looking these later seasons all the time against it. That misleads this whole discussion. He is doing the same things on the ice, or even more, but season 2010-11 was some kind of "over-production". He is now maybe a little bit less productive, but with a lot better defence. And that's what Jokerit and Detroit management want him to be.

I just don't care about his point production, it is what it is. I know he can score when he will get some world-class playmaker to center him. I'm just happy that he got his skating better at last summer, that was his biggest weakness. And this more defensive role has got his defensive game better. He is definitely more ready to jumo in AHL than year ago. The skill and scoring ability doesn't disappear anywhere. They will dig it out again some day, when the other flaws in Teemu's game have been stripped out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It pretty funny how misleading just normal hockey stats can be. When going deeper with the numbers, I couldn't find anything "wrong" what Pulkkinen is doing. There's pretty much just reasonable things.

Teemu's icetime has dropped for this season. Of course, first who are trying to throw him under the bus come to say, "he should develop to be better player and got bigger role every year, not lose ice-time". That's a partial truth, but Jokerit is also more stacked team this year than in the past.

So his ice-time has dropped over 3 minutes. What does this do to his production? Of course it drops. But his production per ice time hasn't seen a big dip. He shoots more per icetime than ever. His shooting percentage has had some dip because of that, but those usually differ with every player by every year.

Also because of that stacked Jokerit team, Pulkkinen has played mainly on the half-defensive 3rd line with worse linemates (like Rask). That always eats your production. I could say, it eats more than his per minute drop actually is. Also this switch from left side to the right has done some things. He less vulnerable to lose the puck, but can't make the play as much. Winning hockey, less scoring, but better defence.

First of all, in the last few games he's averaged around 19-20 minutes, the most he's ever had which shows the coaches trust him. Second, he hasn't switched wings. I don't frankly know where you got that part. He's always played right wing.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Points arent everything, especially with young players trying to improve on being a more complete player. Pulkkinen is miles better defensively and in a much better shape than he's been before. His production and confidence in the offensive zone has taken a pretty bad hit because of that but its slowly starting to get better and better for him. Next season will be huge, if he cant produce a PPG pace in FEL then im starting to wonder what his chances to become an NHL player are.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Points arent everything, especially with young players trying to improve on being a more complete player. Pulkkinen is miles better defensively and in a much better shape than he's been before. His production and confidence in the offensive zone has taken a pretty bad hit because of that but its slowly starting to get better and better for him. Next season will be huge, if he cant produce a PPG pace in FEL then im starting to wonder what his chances to become an NHL player are.

He'll likely be in AHL next year.

Aug 6, 2012
First of all, in the last few games he's averaged around 19-20 minutes, the most he's ever had which shows the coaches trust him. Second, he hasn't switched wings. I don't frankly know where you got that part. He's always played right wing.

And he's scored 4 goals and 2 assists the last 6 games so I don' see your point... He was playing much less earlier in the season when Filppula was healthy. Idk which wing he normally plays.

Anchor Town*

So he slid so far in the draft because he regressed two years after the draft? That's a bit of an oxymoron don't you think? :laugh:

No that's poor reading comprehension on your part, he slid in the draft because scouts believe he wouldn't progress much

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Small sample size

Maybe so, but he has played a full season just around ppg before, so to act like it would be impossible for him to put up a ppg for the remaining games is rather silly. In no way am i saying he will do it but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility, even as a fan of his I'm still pretty doubtful of his ability to become a impact player in the nhl but he was a 4th rounder so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't make it.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
It will be interesting to see what happens with Pulk when Val comes back. I have no hope for a nhl season this year.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
No that's poor reading comprehension on your part, he slid in the draft because scouts believe he wouldn't progress much

Nope,

Here you're saying that regression is why he slid so far in the draft and why almost everyone was worried if he'd develop much.

I understood what you meant I was just trying to be clever

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Pulkkinen now has 13 points in the last 13 games. He's finally producing like we all expected but still when i watch him play i dont consider him as a very dangerous player - and i dont really know why.

Aug 6, 2012
Pulkkinen now has 13 points in the last 13 games. He's finally producing like we all expected but still when i watch him play i dont consider him as a very dangerous player - and i dont really know why.

1+2 today. What will they do with the PP now that Karlsson is gone (1+4 in his final game btw)? Will Pulkkinen play the point on the 1st unit?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
1+2 today. What will they do with the PP now that Karlsson is gone (1+4 in his final game btw)? Will Pulkkinen play the point on the 1st unit?
My guess is they move to 2 d-men (Karlsson alone until now) and Pulkkinen is moved to the 2nd unit. But that's just a guess, we'll see on Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad