RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
red line scouting (or some name like that) has put Grimaldi ranked #9 in the draft after his impressive U 18 performance. Not sure what else this kid has to do, to prove that he is legit

I wouldn't mind one bit if the Bruins took a chance on him.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
how does he compare to tyler ennis at the same age?

In terms of skill, to compare them would be unfair to Ennis.

Let's put it this way...if Grimaldi is even 5'9 or 5'10, I think he'd be a slam-dunk for first overall.

The only, ONLY thing that's going to see him fall into the late first\early second is that 5'6 number, but I'm confident enough in his strength and skating that I think his raw ability will overcome it.

I'll weep the tears of a 13 year old girl meeting Justin Bieber, if somehow the Preds can either trade up a bit to get him or if he falls to 38.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I get the sense that sometimes smaller players are all lumped into the same category...
Rocco Grimaldi
Martin St. Louis
Tyler Ennis
Mathieu Perreault

...when really there is quite a range -- a 4 inch range here...
Rocco Grimaldi - 5.06 | 163
Martin St. Louis - 5.08 | 176
Tyler Ennis - 5.09 | 164
Mathieu Perreault - 5.10 | 174

By that standard then, the next range up would be 5'11" to 6'3". That would require lumping Ty Rattie (5'11) in with Mark McNeill (6'2"). And I don't believe anyone would suggest that.

how does he compare to tyler ennis at the same age?

From BDW...
I remember watching him knock the much bigger Travis Ewanyk off the puck behind the Canada net, leading to a Reid Boucher goal during the U18 tourney last month, and that's the kind of hockey player's contribution where you say to yourself that this kid's drive, will and spirit will overcome his serious size deficit (closer to 5-6, with not a lot of room on the frame to add mass). On the flip side, there are times where Grimaldi will turn away from traffic and stay out on the perimeter, which gives reason for pause, as he won't have success at the NHL level trying to make a living on the outside. He's going to have to go to the dirty areas and play in traffic the way guys like Tyler Ennis and Nathan Gerbe do. If he's willing to do that, then he absolutely has the talent to be an impact player at the highest level.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
From BDW...
I remember watching him knock the much bigger Travis Ewanyk off the puck behind the Canada net, leading to a Reid Boucher goal during the U18 tourney last month, and that's the kind of hockey player's contribution where you say to yourself that this kid's drive, will and spirit will overcome his serious size deficit (closer to 5-6, with not a lot of room on the frame to add mass). On the flip side, there are times where Grimaldi will turn away from traffic and stay out on the perimeter, which gives reason for pause, as he won't have success at the NHL level trying to make a living on the outside. He's going to have to go to the dirty areas and play in traffic the way guys like Tyler Ennis and Nathan Gerbe do. If he's willing to do that, then he absolutely has the talent to be an impact player at the highest level.

If Grimaldi turns away from traffic, it's because the better play in that particular play is to do so. If anyone thinks he's afraid to go into traffic either with the puck or to go get the puck, they're mistaken.

If he's listed 5'6", he's most likely shorter than that, wouldn't you think?

He's not.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
If he's listed 5'6", he's most likely shorter than that, wouldn't you think?

I believe CSS does an official CSS measurement at the combine. Getting back to the BDW's point about room in his frame to add much more mass, here's the most recent picture of Rocco's physique (from NHL.com Combine cover story)...

RoccoGrimaldi.jpg

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I recall reading a story about Steve Yzerman hiding socks in his shoes to be "taller" when they measured him before the draft.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The official measurement from the combine...

ROCCO GRIMALDI (Rank: #32)
USA U-18 #23
Position: C / Shoots: R
Height: 5' 6.25" / Weight: 160 lbs.
Anaheim, CA, United States
February 8, 1993

I wander what St Louis real height is? 5'7? 5'6?

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
He's far better. If you're going to compare him to a small guy, Marty St Louis is probably the best comparison. But Grimaldi is a better goal scorer and penalty killer than St Louis is. Grimaldi is also probably better in traffic than St Louis.

Whoa whoa whoa.....You think Grimaldi will be a consistent 40 to 50 goal scorer in the NHL? You do realize that many 1st overall picks don't even do that. Trust me I'm hoping the Lightning draft the guy, because he seems like he will be a hell of a player. The kid hasn't even played in college yet, never the less the NHL. And your saying hes a better goalscorer than a proven 40 goal scorer at the NHL level.

Did you perhaps mean for his age?

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Whoa whoa whoa.....You think Grimaldi will be a consistent 40 to 50 goal scorer in the NHL? You do realize that many 1st overall picks don't even do that. Trust me I'm hoping the Lightning draft the guy, because he seems like he will be a hell of a player. The kid hasn't even played in college yet, never the less the NHL. And your saying hes a better goalscorer than a proven 40 goal scorer at the NHL level.

Did you perhaps mean for his age?

Obviously.

What I was trying to say was that Grimaldi is a better goal scorer relative to his overall game than St Louis is relative to his overall game. St Louis is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. I should know better than to try to post coherently at 4:30am.

And let's not exaggerate things here. St Louis put up 40 goals once. He's a 30 goal scorer and I don't have any concerns about Grimaldi's ability to score more than 30 goals per season in the NHL when he makes it (obviously assuming he gets scoring line minutes).

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
5-6 160lbs at age 17/18 is pretty built. he may be short but this guy is not a twig. guys like gionta and st.louis survive because of how solid they are and hard to knock off the puck. grimaldi is worthy of a top20 pick imo , could end up being one of the best players from this draft

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
RW Rocco Grimaldi - US NTDP, USHL (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

What a shocker! Who was that clown who had him in a top 10 list???? This kid is only 5'6.

It should have been obvious to anyone who knows anything about hockey that he would NOT be taken in the 1st round. No chance whatsoever. Anyone who felt otherwise, you finally have your proof. Dont like doing "I told you so" posts but this needed to be stated here.

nwsaboy

Sep 3, 2008
What a shocker! Who was that clown who had him in a top 10 list???? This kid is only 5'6.

It should have been obvious to anyone who knows anything about hockey that he would NOT be taken in the 1st round. No chance whatsoever. Anyone who felt otherwise, you finally have your proof. Dont like doing "I told you so" posts but this needed to be stated here.

i wouldnt be surprised if it was a similar situation to that finish guy last year. Rajala? he was pegged 25-40 and went like 100 or something. he was a very small skilled player as well

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Lots of "clowns" had him in the middle of the first round. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard though....

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad