RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
hahahaha, that was awesome to see...

did Grimaldi and McColgan ever get off the ice??

man did Reid look absolutely dominating out there, still a solid player, but back then you can see he was the one that grew faster then the rest.

Grimaldi has absolutely sick skills, funny part is he is doing those same things to guys 3-4 years older then him and 5-8 inches bigger then him in the USHL this year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think his size will keep him out of the first, but we'll see.

Either way, Nashville has NJ's second, so...yeah...that's my pick :)

I will go out on a limb and say if he is still on the board by the Blackhawks pick, they snag this kid up. The Hawks have so many prospects in all areas, that they can take that home run swing with Grimaldi and not really regret it with Morin, Beach, Olsen, Leddy, Smith, Kruger, Johns, Hayes, Hayes, Lalonde, etc all on the way or currently with the big club.

I predict Hawks pick Rocco Grimaldi! They need to pick kids that take a few years to reach the pros, so this is that perfect pick imo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think his size will keep him out of the first, but we'll see.

Either way, Nashville has NJ's second, so...yeah...that's my pick :)

You might be right, but if you're an established team picking at the bottom of the 1st round-why risk it? A team like Detroit can let him develop for three years or so in college, another year or so in the AHL, and then integrate him into the line-up when they will need a skill infusion.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
You are an NHl GM-- your team (actually all of them) has just been torched by Perry Getzlaf and Ryan --you have to explain to your fans why you RISKED a first rounder on a 5'6 shrimp (no matter how talented) and to your insurance co, as to how you could risk sso many cap $$$ on this giuy lasting against MEN in the NHL?

Do you dare RISK a first rounder on this player despite his talent displayed against boys?

WELL --maybe you gamble IF you already have a BIG team or at least a BIG line (like Perry Getzlaf Ryan)--so MAYBE if your ANH you risk it....

BURKE would NEVER--I repesat NEVER risk thast small in round one...

BUFALO ain't going "small" again...

So it is likely few and far between wilbe the GM's daring to take such a gamble --first : will such a small guy impact in the NHl ? Second : can he take the pounding of 82 games aganist NHL'ers. Its a BIG (pardon the irony) gamble.

First round talent-but take the risk only from round 2 on...

BTW: He will ligt up the U-18's -but that still doesn't change the RISK assessment.

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
You are an NHl GM-- your team (actually all of them) has just been torched by Perry Getzlaf and Ryan --you have to explain to your fans why you RISKED a first rounder on a 5'6 shrimp (no matter how talented) and to your insurance co, as to how you could risk sso many cap $$$ on this giuy lasting against MEN in the NHL?

Do you dare RISK a first rounder on this player despite his talent displayed against boys?

WELL --maybe you gamble IF you already have a BIG team or at least a BIG line (like Perry Getzlaf Ryan)--so MAYBE if your ANH you risk it....

BURKE would NEVER--I repesat NEVER risk thast small in round one...

BUFALO ain't going "small" again...

So it is likely few and far between wilbe the GM's daring to take such a gamble --first : will such a small guy impact in the NHl ? Second : can he take the pounding of 82 games aganist NHL'ers. Its a BIG (pardon the irony) gamble.

First round talent-but take the risk only from round 2 on...

BTW: He will ligt up the U-18's -but that still doesn't change the RISK assessment.

Right. Grimaldi is going to be one giant game of chicken between the GMs come draft day. Should be fun to watch

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I said it in another thread, I'd be very surprised if he went before the 3rd round. No one questions his talent but 5'6" is ridiculously small.

Some may not like it, but it's the simple truth that almost no players that small stick in the NHL, let alone have success. The game is more open now, and smaller players can have success, but 5'6"? Come on.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I said it in another thread, I'd be very surprised if he went before the 3rd round. No one questions his talent but 5'6" is ridiculously small.

Some may not like it, but it's the simple truth that almost no players that small stick in the NHL, let alone have success. The game is more open now, and smaller players can have success, but 5'6"? Come on.

Martin St Louis - Listed at 5'9, no way is he 5'9
Nathan Gerbe - Listed at 5'5
Tyler Ennis - Listed at 5'9
Derek Roy - Listed at 5'8
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen - Listed at 5'9
David Desharnais - Listed at 5'6
Brian Gionta - Listed at 5'7
Chris Conner - Listed at 5'9, he's closer to 5'5 than 5'9
Mike Cammalleri - Listed at 5'9

He doesn't make it past the midway point of the 2nd round and could very well go in the late first.

MC David

Sep 26, 2008

He doesn't make it past the midway point of the 2nd round and could very well go in the late first.

Not to mention a guy like theo fleury. he was 5'6 wasn't he?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

What does this do but prove my point?

Fist, of the players listed only Brian Gionta, Mike Cammalleri, Derek Roy, and Tyler Ennis have made substantial impacts at the NHL level, and only 2 of them is listed as smaller then 5'9".

Second only 5 of those players were even drafted, granted 4 of them were in the top 60, but 3/4 of those drafted in the top 60 have 3 inches on Grimaldi...

I'm not saying he won't be drafted, but I'd be surprised if he was taken earlier then the 3rd round. Whether you believe he'll be drafted sooner or not is fine, I posted my opinion, we'll see who's right come draft day.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Yeah come on. It doesn't matter the guy has skill, speed, and grit out there ears not to mention can spend the next 3-5 years getting bigger and stronger at top-flight college and professional programs. I'll save this thread, because there is no way he drops that far.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What does this do but prove my point?

Fist, of the players listed only Brian Gionta, Mike Cammalleri, Derek Roy, and Tyler Ennis have made substantial impacts at the NHL level, and only 2 of them is listed as smaller then 5'9".

Second only 5 of those players were even drafted, granted 4 of them were in the top 60, but 3/4 of those drafted in the top 60 have 3 inches on Grimaldi...

I'm not saying he won't be drafted, but I'd be surprised if he was taken earlier then the 3rd round. Whether you believe he'll be drafted sooner or not is fine, I posted my opinion, we'll see who's right come draft day.

Being listed at 5'9 and actually being 5'9 are too completely different things though. Martin St Louis hasn't made a significant impact at the NHL level? Also guys like Gerbe, Zucarrello and Desharnais are pretty early in their careers and could all end up being NHL regulars going forward. Some of those players were draft eligible before the rule changes so it makes sense they weren't drafted.

If Grimaldi was 5'9 he'd probably be a lock to go in the top 10, you don't think a team with multiple 2nd rounders or a team with a strong prospect pool wont take a homerun swing on him?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

We're talking about a guy who would be the undisputed #1 pick if he was 6'0''.

He's gone in the 1st, without a doubt.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I remember Rocco from Narch tournaments back in the day. He was a few years younger but he used to tear it up. Far and away the most skilled player for his age group. I still have the book with pictures of him as a 6 year old and an interview with him. I'm not suprised by the success he's having.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

The thing is, Grimaldi is actually as good or better than all these guys at the same age.

The question that needs asking is this: Does the fact a guy like Roy or Gionta or St. Louis or Cammalleri are 5-8 instead of 5-6 really make any difference what's so ever?

Personally, I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
has there been any prospects in the last few years as highly regarded and skilled as Grimaldi that have been smaller than 5'8?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The thing is, Grimaldi is actually as good or better than all these guys at the same age.

The question that needs asking is this: Does the fact a guy like Roy or Gionta or St. Louis or Cammalleri are 5-8 instead of 5-6 really make any difference what's so ever?

Personally, I highly doubt it.

I'd be surprised if all of them are 5'8 anyway.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
What are the odds the kid could play RW in the pros? I would love to see him on the Pens in a couple years. 5'6" is small, but it sounds like he is a tough SOB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad