RW Rocco Grimaldi (2011, 33rd overall, Florida)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
JL17 and a few others; you gals just simply dont get it. There are a few of us who have watched this kid progress for the past four plus seasons, and without a doubt this kid gets drafted in or right near the top 10 come June....

His draft progressions currently is proof positive in that. He was a late second round pick just barely a year ago, then moved up into a late first round by the fall, and now is moving into a top 15 to 20 pick on everyones board, and you think this is by accident? Scouts and gm's are seeing what many of us have been witnessing for years, THE KID CAN PLAY NO MATTER HIS SIZE. If Rocco gets picked for the US WJC team, and has any type of tourney to say what a Jason Zucker did last year, then the kid will vault even higher then where he currently ranks.,

Grimaldi is simply the most skilled and gifted player in this draft. There is not a single soul that has more skill then him for this years crop. If he was a few inches taller, this kid wouldnt be an issue, but I have zero problems with anything orangeandblack has said in regards to player comparisons, because I agree 100%. This kid is more skilled then both Gionta and Gerbe were at their respective age. He plays just as ferocious as Gerbe, and has no problems with playing physical no matter the opponent. Rocco Grimaldi has all the traits and skills to be every bit as good as any of the elite under 5'8 NHLers, and if he just continues to perform over the next few years, he will have their NHL careers as well.

Nothing is guaranteed in this sport no matter the size, and this kid could fail like so many have before him...but when I look at the haters out there that make ridiculous comparisons towards their mancrush draft picks, yet break out the pitchforks and torches over this kid, it is simply pathetic.

All this proves is you have a certain few that have actually watched this kid play, and then you have the ignorant hater side that hasnt even seen a picture of him, but just look at his bio and see 5'6 and automatically assume he cannot be as good as those who have seen him say him to be.

All I have to say is last year Granlund and Hishon went very high in the draft....both are smaller players but very gifted... it only takes one gm to fall in love with a kid, and those two have proved that skill will weigh in more over size to the right gm. Grimaldi goes top 10, and let the final rankings and the actual NHL draft prove me otherwise..

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Not for St Louis or Gionta, or even Nate Gerbe, and certainly not for Grimaldi. It literally has no effect on his game, and if you cant see that, then you probably havent seen him play. You basically have to take Couturier, RNH, Landeskog and Larsson ahead of him at this point. If Grimaldi was 5-10 hed be a consensus top 5, but giving him an extra 4 inches wouldnt make his game any better or any worse, it would just "project" his draft spot higher.

Theres a very good chance Grimaldi will have the same productivity as St Louis. I think his lowest projection would be Gionta, and hes a much better player at this point. Would you have taken St Louis in the top 10 in '93? I would have.

Have you ever seen the numbers Gionta put up during his draft year? They are pretty amazing for his size and age; 30+ goals, 60+ points as a freshmen at BC. I think its because of Gionta that Grimaldi is even being considered a a first round pick. If this was ten years ago Rocco would be likely a 3-4th round pick. So what im saying is that it isnt a difference in talent between the two, its the fact that Gionta has proven you can make it as an nhl player sub 5'8".

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
A very good chance Grimaldi will have the same productivity as St Louis? Im sorry but this is pure hyperbole and bias to its very extreme. St Louis has 6 70 pt + seasons so far, including several top 10 finishes. If not for a late start to his NHL career, he'd be a hall of farmer for certain.

And you think a 5ft 6 17 yr old has a very good chance to have that career? His lowest projection is Giona ; His absolute lowest.
It's not even certain if this draft 20 years from now will even produce one player who will match St Louis's post-lockout form. Im sorry, but this is absolute madness. Yes i'd take St Loius in the Top 10 any draft and i can certainly say that the probability of Grimaldi being close to the level of St Loius is alot lower than "Theres a very good chance".

His size has literally no affect on his game? Brilliant. Now start understanding projections. It's how his 5 ft 6 frame projects against NHL players that matters.

Oh and you mentioned three players. One all-star, one solid player with one elite season and one 23 yr old prospect who has yet to translate his offensive game to the NHL. Not only did you provide the absolute exceptions to the rule of size ; you posted a legitimate two.

agreed, you cant project that this guy will equal st louis, sure, he might turn out to be good.

only time will tell

and maybe another growth spurt ahah

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Id love to see where I wrote that his coach commented on his lowest potential. No good coach would ever put that out there, and I didnt say he did. He compared him favorably to Brian Gionta, because he was a coach with the Devils previously.

My point on the projections is there is always an optimistic approach. When Hugh Jessiman was drafted high in 03, Im sure you could say he projects to be (just examples off the top of my head, not a true comparison) a Ryan Smyth at the high end or a Mike Grier at the lower end. No one would say he projects to be a Ryan Smyth or an AHL goon, even if that is what he has become.

If the coach didn't say anything like what you posted, then why use it as "evidence" that your claim that Grimaldi's bottom-end potential is to be Brian Gionta wasn't ridiculous? You're not even making sense post-to-post.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Grimaldi is simply the most skilled and gifted player in this draft. There is not a single soul that has more skill then him for this years crop. If he was a few inches taller, this kid wouldnt be an issue, but I have zero problems with anything orangeandblack has said in regards to player comparisons, because I agree 100%. This kid is more skilled then both Gionta and Gerbe were at their respective age. He plays just as ferocious as Gerbe, and has no problems with playing physical no matter the opponent. Rocco Grimaldi has all the traits and skills to be every bit as good as any of the elite under 5'8 NHLers, and if he just continues to perform over the next few years, he will have their NHL careers as well.

All this proves is you have a certain few that have actually watched this kid play, and then you have the ignorant hater side that hasnt even seen a picture of him, but just look at his bio and see 5'6 and automatically assume he cannot be as good as those who have seen him say him to be.

I found this pretty funny.

You state that many people have not seen Grimaldi play, which is most likely true (I've seen him play numerous times dating back to his MM year). But then you state that Grimaldi is simply the most skilled and gifted player in the draft, which is just as bad as the so called 'ignorant haters' considering there is no way you can have watched every single prospect play enough to make a judgement on who is the most skilled.

To me the reason I feel Rocco is a very risky pick, is because he's a very boom or bust pick, IMO. Being his size, he'd be very ineffective playing a bottom six role for his career in the show, IMO. It's easier to be more defensively sound when your a bigger body; longer stick, can lean on opponents etc. For these reasons I find him a risky pick for as the only way he makes his team is if he is in the top 6, IMO (which isn't as easy as many would like to think around here). Which is tough for him, considering it's easier for a big body like a Saad, to be able to play all 12 different spots as a forward. Again this is all my opinion.

The last thing I'll say about size, is that out of the thousands of picks over the last ten drafts, only four have been under 5'8 (only one in the last five drafts). Out of these four players, only one is currently playing in the NHL, Gerbe.

I realize that Grimaldi is very talented, and I've seen him in person many times since he used to play for Little Caesars. But GM's are very reluctant to draft small players, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

EDIT: I'm not going to even get into that St. Louis/Gionta comparison. (Especially since he plays nothing like a St. Louis, IMO).

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

You state that many people have not seen Grimaldi play, which is most likely true (I've seen him play numerous times dating back to his MM year). But then you state that Grimaldi is simply the most skilled and gifted player in the draft, which is just as bad as the so called 'ignorant haters' considering there is no way you can have watched every single prospect play enough to make a judgement on who is the most skilled.

To me the reason I feel Rocco is a very risky pick, is because he's a very boom or bust pick, IMO. Being his size, he'd be very ineffective playing a bottom six role for his career in the show, IMO. It's easier to be more defensively sound when your a bigger body; longer stick, can lean on opponents etc. For these reasons I find him a risky pick for as the only way he makes his team is if he is in the top 6, IMO (which isn't as easy as many would like to think around here). Which is tough for him, considering it's easier for a big body like a Saad, to be able to play all 12 different spots as a forward. Again this is all my opinion.

The last thing I'll say about size, is that out of the thousands of picks over the last ten drafts, only four have been under 5'8 (only one in the last five drafts). Out of these four players, only one is currently playing in the NHL, Gerbe.

I realize that Grimaldi is very talented, and I've seen him in person many times since he used to play for Little Caesars. But GM's are very reluctant to draft small players, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

EDIT: I'm not going to even get into that St. Louis/Gionta comparison. (Especially since he plays nothing like a St. Louis, IMO).

If this point doesn't get across to some people I don't know what will. There are a lot more men in the world who are 5'7" than there are 6'4" yet there are dozens of 6'4" or taller NHLers and less than a handful 5'7" or shorter. It's a big man's league. And to AmericanDream proclaiming Grimaldi the most skilled player in the draft for sure, I wonder how much of that kid on the back end in Kitchener he's seen.

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
When you start making cases comparing Grimaldi to the population of small players to come before, you're placing them all in the same boat when they are in fact different players. The correlation for small players vs. NHL success may be apparent but it doesn't apply for a case by case basis because while the liabilities for this player may be the same, he has a very unique set of assets in comparison.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I have seen almost every single top end player for this years draft over the past few years....all the top end kids from sweden and finland as well...the only area that I havent gotten much of a look from the slovak area. outside of that, I have seen them in some capacity.

I have no idea how you can claim that what I stated was ignorant, when I have seen the vast majority of top end talent for this draft, and Grimaldi has the most pure skill out of any of them. He is neck and neck in offensive skills with Couturier, but you like others can only talk about his 5'6 frame. If Rocco had Couturier's size, this would be a battle for the top spot between the two. And you simply have not watched this kid play, because if you have you would not be arguing over his size, you would be pimping his talent and grit.

GM's arent reluctant as in previous years to take smaller players. It is happening much more now. And I dont want Grimaldi being lumped in with anyone under 5'8 because the kid plays with a different skill set then any of them have or currently do. That is like comparing everyone over 6'4 to Hugh Jessiman, because he is an example of failure. There are exceptions to every rule, and Grimaldi is that exception.

Name me how many kids under 5'8 have gotten ranked in the first round at pretty much any point of the year over the past 5 years? I cant think of any off hand, but thats what makes this kid special is that from Red Line, CSS, ISS, etc all have this kid as a top 30 pick, and noone before him has had that kind of ranking.

As I said, just look at last year with Granlund and Hishon as high end first round picks. Both of those kids are not 5'10 (I dont care what it says, they are tiny), yet they both got drafted off of their skills. The same will happen for Grimaldi, because way too many people simply havent seen him play (or claim they have), but will come away surprised in June when a 5'6 kid goes top 10.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If this point doesn't get across to some people I don't know what will. There are a lot more men in the world who are 5'7" than there are 6'4" yet there are dozens of 6'4" or taller NHLers and less than a handful 5'7" or shorter. It's a big man's league. And to AmericanDream proclaiming Grimaldi the most skilled player in the draft for sure, I wonder how much of that kid on the back end in Kitchener he's seen.

I actually get to see Kitchener a lot!! Will be heading up there in two weeks again...cant wait! Ryan Murphy is a very talented player, but I should have been specific and said Grimaldi is the most offensively gifted forward in this draft. And Ryan Murphy is no physical specimen either, but that kid can flat out play as well...

as for it being a "big man's league" that may hold true, but the numbers are changing much more to the smaller side then ever before. More players under 5'11 are making it into the NHL then the past 10 years. There are probably more guys over 6'4 making it as well, so I think both ends of the spectrum size wise are gaining imo.. the league still wants size and covets it, but it also wants skilled players and is making room for them with the removal of holding, clutching, grabing, interference, etc...

Nick Leddy made it on the Hawks for the love of God, and that kid just one year prior looked like he couldnt hold his own as a college freshman, yet found his way on the defending Cup champs blueline..at about 175 pounds, Leddy didnt look out of place in the NHL...the game has changed, Grimaldi will have a very solid chance of becoming an NHLer....Gerbe is in the NHL as well, that kid is the same height as Rocco, yet does not play that way.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I have seen almost every single top end player for this years draft over the past few years....all the top end kids from sweden and finland as well...the only area that I havent gotten much of a look from the slovak area. outside of that, I have seen them in some capacity.

I have no idea how you can claim that what I stated was ignorant, when I have seen the vast majority of top end talent for this draft, and Grimaldi has the most pure skill out of any of them. He is neck and neck in offensive skills with Couturier, but you like others can only talk about his 5'6 frame. If Rocco had Couturier's size, this would be a battle for the top spot between the two. And you simply have not watched this kid play, because if you have you would not be arguing over his size, you would be pimping his talent and grit.

GM's arent reluctant as in previous years to take smaller players. It is happening much more now. And I dont want Grimaldi being lumped in with anyone under 5'8 because the kid plays with a different skill set then any of them have or currently do. That is like comparing everyone over 6'4 to Hugh Jessiman, because he is an example of failure. There are exceptions to every rule, and Grimaldi is that exception.

Name me how many kids under 5'8 have gotten ranked in the first round at pretty much any point of the year over the past 5 years? I cant think of any off hand, but thats what makes this kid special is that from Red Line, CSS, ISS, etc all have this kid as a top 30 pick, and noone before him has had that kind of ranking.

As I said, just look at last year with Granlund and Hishon as high end first round picks. Both of those kids are not 5'10 (I dont care what it says, they are tiny), yet they both got drafted off of their skills. The same will happen for Grimaldi, because way too many people simply havent seen him play (or claim they have), but will come away surprised in June when a 5'6 kid goes top 10.

First of all, I have seen Grimaldi play multiple times, don't tell me I haven't, I don't see how it's so far fetched that two people can different opinions about a player.

Next I'd be very impressed if you have watched all the 300 some players live that will be scouted as potential 2011 draftees, because no NHL scout watches that many games.

And I agree, if Grimaldi had Couturier's size (an additional 10 inches) he would battle for top spot. But the fact is that while he is talented, he's not that size, but yet almost a whole foot smaller.

Onto your next point about Jessiman, not sure what your trying to accomplish there. That comparison is nothing like the comparison I've made, I never chose busts just players that fall around the same height as Rocco. My comparison would be like if you were to compare Couturier to all of the 6'3-6'5 forwards over the past ten drafts, as I did with Grimaldi.

As for the rankings, I hold very little stock in them (save for maybe McKenzie's). Last year CSS had Skinner at 34th for NA skaters, ISS had Kabanov at 7th in May etc.

If you're questioning those players heights you also have to question Grimaldi's, as they've gone through an NHL combine and have been officially measured.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The more and more I read about this the more and more I think how similar it sounds to what people were saying about Zach Parise in his draft year. It seems that GM's are more open to drafting smaller players now so I don't foresee a big drop off because of this. Parise was dropping because of his size and that scared a lot of people away, but if you watched him play you would know it wouldn't be an issue. He played with more grit and determination than anyone I had ever seen and that negated the size comparison and to me this is the most important part. The rules in the NHL today allow for the smaller athlete to have more success and more and more people are realizing this. I for one can't wait to see him and North Dakota with his pal JT Miller ripping it up just like they are now.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
This kind of reminds of the Tim Tebow draft in the NFL with some of the arguments people are using.

Still, I'm rooting for this kid. Talented and the effort he's had to put him, hard not to root for him.

Hopefully he gets on the WJC and flourishes against his peers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Grimaldi has been one of the best players his birth year probably going back to mini mite. He has been consistently dominant year in and year out. I first heard of him when he was a Pee Wee and the famous Quebec Pee Wee tournament advertised him in their ad in The Hockey News for the tournament that year. Seemed crazy to use a 12 year old kid to sell ticket to youth hockey tournament, but he has been dealing with this pressure and attention much of his hockey playing life. Much like Tavaras and Crosby did from young age. The pressure has not seemed to effect him negatively.

I think this kid is going to achieve. He appears to have the desire that puts him ahead of others deite his size.

He is no Dustin Rose

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
First of all, I have seen Grimaldi play multiple times, don't tell me I haven't, I don't see how it's so far fetched that two people can different opinions about a player.

Next I'd be very impressed if you have watched all the 300 some players live that will be scouted as potential 2011 draftees, because no NHL scout watches that many games.

And I agree, if Grimaldi had Couturier's size (an additional 10 inches) he would battle for top spot. But the fact is that while he is talented, he's not that size, but yet almost a whole foot smaller.

Onto your next point about Jessiman, not sure what your trying to accomplish there. That comparison is nothing like the comparison I've made, I never chose busts just players that fall around the same height as Rocco. My comparison would be like if you were to compare Couturier to all of the 6'3-6'5 forwards over the past ten drafts, as I did with Grimaldi.

As for the rankings, I hold very little stock in them (save for maybe McKenzie's). Last year CSS had Skinner at 34th for NA skaters, ISS had Kabanov at 7th in May etc.

If you're questioning those players heights you also have to question Grimaldi's, as they've gone through an NHL combine and have been officially measured.

did not see your reply until now, so I will respond anyway.

yes two people can have a difference of opinion, but in all honesty it seems you are just judging this kid by his size, and if you truly have seen him play, then his size shouldnt be an issue. I havent talked to a single person in the past 5 years that has seen him play that comes away with anything close to a negative opinion of this kid..and that is no joke. People dont even notice his size on the ice because of the way he plays, and that is my point. He isnt a typical 5'6 player.

as for Hugh Jessiman, the point is valid. You among others are saying that because Grimaldi is 5'6 he is going to have a very hard time ever reaching the pros...but all that is doing is lumping him in with other players that he shouldnt be lumped in with. Hugh Jessiman was a 6'5 bust, and anyone that is over 6'4 I could say "here comes the next Jessiman" because he may be tall and awkward. but that isnt fair to that kid because he may be nothing like Jessiman.

I dont have to question the height of Granlund and Hishon, they both are tiny and that is what I said. They are barely 3-4 inches taller then Grimaldi and were top 20 picks...that was my point. not a stretch for Grimaldi to be a top 30 pick when players slightly bigger then him got drafted top 20 last year.

As for the rankings, I didnt ask how bang on they are, I simply asked how many under 5'8 players got rated top 30 in the past 5 years this early on in the season? Doesn't matter if you think ISS, CSS, McKeens, Redline, etc are crap, the fact remains that this kid is treading into new territory that few if any previously have.

With Grimaldi getting the US WJC eval camp invite, I pray he makes the squad and performs out of his mind for the US...I simply feel too many people cant look past his size to see the true player that he is. Just ask Zach Parise how that goes, and the 16 teams that passed on him as well...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I dont have to question the height of Granlund and Hishon, they both are tiny and that is what I said. They are barely 3-4 inches taller then Grimaldi and were top 20 picks...that was my point. not a stretch for Grimaldi to be a top 30 pick when players slightly bigger then him got drafted top 20 last year.

Those are same strange standards you have. 3-4 inches is a ton, especially when you're talking about a player that's barely 5'6" and as has been pointed out, very few players of that size ever make the NHL. The Jessiman comparison is ridiculous because there's also a ton of other players that height that did make it. There isn't a ton of players at 5'6" that made it.

And, seriously, Zach Parise? Last I checked he wasn't 5'6" or anywhere close to that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Those are same strange standards you have. 3-4 inches is a ton, especially when you're talking about a player that's barely 5'6" and as has been pointed out, very few players of that size ever make the NHL. The Jessiman comparison is ridiculous because there's also a ton of other players that height that did make it. There isn't a ton of players at 5'6" that made it.

And, seriously, Zach Parise? Last I checked he wasn't 5'6" or anywhere close to that.

Zach Parise was passed over because of fears about his size. didnt say he was 5'6 if you would read what I stated. I said gm's should have learned their lesson over passing on a super talented kid because he might be on the smaller side.

there isnt much of a difference between 5'6 to 5'9 either. 5'9 isnt going to make you a Hulkster in comparision. thats why Granlund and Hishon are very comparible offensively gifted players.

MillsyMyers30

Dec 13, 2010
yeah he's been playing lights out hockey. i know a kid that's on the developmental team with him. his name is cole bardreau. he's going to play for cornell next year

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the kid is going to be a great one, not much more I can say about him then I currently have. Those that doubt him, will continue to doubt him even after he gets drafted in the top 25. Cant wait until June to see just how high this dynamo goes..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad