RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - Mora IK J20, J20 Nationell (2024, 15th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
You’re the one implying he’s xenophobic solely because one person said he won’t draft USA players?

Maybe it’s because he doesn’t like the development system? Maybe it’s because they keep not signing and choosing their destination?

No… he just just hate the USA. It’s why he’s lived their for like 40 years… pure hatred.
Yzerman picks Euros in the first round because the wings most trusted scout is European (Hakan) its as simple as that.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Rather than screaming about Yzerman picking Europeans, we might wanna watch what this kid is doing right now.

He’s been one of the top draft eligible forwards since January, and once again is having dominant shifts against men the last week or two.

It’s pretty rare to watch an 18 year old kid play as dominant a physical game as he has been. The sky really is the limit with him also having that shot, and thinking the game at the level he does. He’s out there creating space for himself like he’s 24-25 years old, and has already played 4-5 seasons against men. He’s creating scoring chances forechecking like a veteran.

I’m not convinced he’s not playing in the NHL this season. While I don’t think so, he’s coming over to camp, and he’s the type of player, who can play in the bottom six and work his way up the depth chart, developing in the NHL, not lower leagues, because he’s already physically ready, and does “think the game” at such a high level. Probably needs some time adjusting but his game is built for the NHL, playing in tight space.

Right now, it’s hard not to say he’s the steal of the 2024 draft. I had no clue he had this type of an offensive game and I watch a ton of these kids every year, and have access to evaluations most don’t. I knew he could physically play in the league right now, but like I said, the way he creates space for himself, and how quick he gets his shot off, Detroit looks like they’ve hit a lottery pick at 15th overall. I’m just trying to figure out if he’s Landeskog, Rantanen, or a combination of the two.

If he was a Finn or a Swede, good bet we would’ve seen more of him obviously, and we can assume his draft capital would’ve easily been in the Top 10. Probably higher. You simply can’t watch him play these last couple of weeks, and form any other opinion. He’s dominating professional men at 18. If you thought the spring was a fluke, you just can’t anymore.

He’s been really fun to watch since January. I’d wager we’re going to have a lot of teams kicking themselves for not taking him before 15th overall. He’s a much better prospect than Cole Eiserman as it currently stands. It’s not even up for debate. It’s laughable almost. No. It is laughable.

The crazy part is, I’m not sure anyone knows his ceiling yet, which does remind you of Rantanen.

It’s safe to say, if they had taken Eiserman, people would already be screaming they made the wrong pick. Justifiably so too, because Detroit was connected to MBN, probably more than any other team.

BTW, we’ve suddenly watched Detroit collect some Grade A offensive prospects over the last couple of years now, to go along with all those dmen and the two goaltender prospects they’ve been developing. Between Danielson, MBN, Kasper, Mazur, Buchelnikov, Becher and this Kiiskinen kid (only 18 still) from Finland (they traded for earlier this summer) who looked very much like a Top 6 NHL prospect a few weeks ago, plus several others still making names for themselves…. they’re gonna be a fun team to watch over the next decade. They have kids like Savage, Lombardi and Plante as well, developing into really solid players as well..

Fans have to still be patient obviously, as these kids are still very young, but there’s a whole lot to like, and they’ve done it without any lottery help, or players falling into their lap. To think the organization was completely empty of any talent 5-6 years ago, it’s crazy how far they’ve come. Especially with no lottery help.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Rather than screaming about Yzerman picking Europeans, we might wanna watch what this kid is doing right now.

He’s been one of the top draft eligible forwards since January, and once again is having dominant shifts against men the last week or two.

It’s pretty rare to watch an 18 year old kid play as dominant a physical game as he has been. The sky really is the limit with him also having that shot, and thinking the game at the level he does. He’s out there creating space for himself like he’s 24-25 years old, and has already played 4-5 seasons against men. He’s creating scoring chances forechecking like a veteran.

I’m not convinced he’s not playing in the NHL this season. While I don’t think so, he’s coming over to camp, and he’s the type of player, who can play in the bottom six and work his way up the depth chart, developing in the NHL, not lower leagues, because he’s already physically ready, and does “think the game” at such a high level. Probably needs some time adjusting but his game is built for the NHL, playing in tight space.

Right now, it’s hard not to say he’s the steal of the 2024 draft. I had no clue he had this type of an offensive game and I watch a ton of these kids every year, and have access to evaluations most don’t. I knew he could physically play in the league right now, but like I said, the way he creates space for himself, and how quick he gets his shot off, Detroit looks like they’ve hit a lottery pick at 15th overall. I’m just trying to figure out if he’s Landeskog, Rantanen, or a combination of the two.

If he was a Finn or a Swede, good bet we would’ve seen more of him obviously, and we can assume his draft capital would’ve easily been in the Top 10. Probably higher. You simply can’t watch him play these last couple of weeks, and form any other opinion. He’s dominating professional men at 18. If you thought the spring was a fluke, you just can’t anymore.

He’s been really fun to watch since January. I’d wager we’re going to have a lot of teams kicking themselves for not taking him before 15th overall. He’s a much better prospect than Cole Eiserman as it currently stands. It’s not even up for debate. It’s laughable almost. No. It is laughable.

The crazy part is, I’m not sure anyone knows his ceiling yet, which does remind you of Rantanen.

It’s safe to say, if they had taken Eiserman, people would already be screaming they made the wrong pick. Justifiably so too, because Detroit was connected to MBN, probably more than any other team.

BTW, we’ve suddenly watched Detroit collect some Grade A offensive prospects over the last couple of years now, to go along with all those dmen and the two goaltender prospects they’ve been developing. Between Danielson, MBN, Kasper, Mazur, Buchelnikov, Becher and this Kiiskinen kid (only 18 still) from Finland (they traded for earlier this summer) who looked very much like a Top 6 NHL prospect a few weeks ago, plus several others still making names for themselves…. they’re gonna be a fun team to watch over the next decade. They have kids like Savage, Lombardi and Plante as well, developing into really solid players as well..

Fans have to still be patient obviously, as these kids are still very young, but there’s a whole lot to like, and they’ve done it without any lottery help, or players falling into their lap. To think the organization was completely empty of any talent 5-6 years ago, it’s crazy how far they’ve come. Especially with no lottery help.

Rantanen and Landeskog aren't good comps imo. MBN is a shot first straightline fiesty forechecker. Rantanen is a playmaking powerfoward and Landeskog is a net front puck retriever with an solid overall game.

I said before the draft MBN reminded me of a mid round Blues winger pick who way outperformed his draft slot in the vain of a Tarasenko and Perron. A stout heavy player with an equally heavy shot.

Maybe a good comp to a lesser degree is Matt Tkachuck. Thou MBN does not have Tkachuk's playmaking skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
Rantanen and Landeskog aren't good comps imo. MBN is a shot first straightline fiesty forechecker. Rantanen is a playmaking powerfoward and Landeskog is a net front puck retriever with an solid overall game.

I said before the draft MBN reminded me of a mid round Blues winger pick who way outperformed his draft slot in the vain of a Tarasenko and Perron. A stout heavy player with an equally heavy shot.

Maybe a good comp to a lesser degree is Matt Tkachuck. Thou MBN does not have Tkachuk's playmaking skilss.

Some lofty comparables are being thrown around.

How mad would y'all be if MBN turns into a more consistent version of Niederreiter with better defense?

Reactions: wetcoast

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

How mad would y'all be if MBN turns into a more consistent version of Niederreiter with better defense?
Comps are more about playing style to me than ceilings.

Niederreiter is a net front guy which really isnt MBN calling card. Sure Michael should get his fair share of chippy goals, but he has a much better shot then Nino.

Id be happy if MBN reaches Niederreiter's ceiling solid top 6 forward isnt a bad result from a 15th overall.

Though I do have high hopes MBN will become a big time top 15 winger in the league, of course nothing is guaranteed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
One of the oldest players in the draft. Keep your pants on.
Great analysis, you looked at his birth certificate. Have you watched him play, or is that not necessary?

Top ~15 player of his draft class, not a bad outcome. Let's see how MBN's d+1 progresses though. Niederreiter in his 19 year old season had 1 point in 55 NHL games, it was kind of a brutal development year for him. Could have impacted him negatively.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One of the oldest players in the draft. Keep your pants on.

He's already stronger than most of these similar-rated prospects ever will be. There's a lot to be said for runway but you should also check to see if the plane is already in the sky.

Maybe a good comp to a lesser degree is Matt Tkachuck. Thou MBN does not have Tkachuk's playmaking skills.

I like the Landeskog comp still, because the foundation is outmuscling opponents and winning puck battles. Tarasenko and Perron aren't quick into the battle. Maybe "Landeskog but further out" is better because you're right, MBN isn't the net front guy, at least not yet.

Reactions: wingerdinger

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I get the sense that he's in the NHL in 25-26.

He comes to camp and is complete and impressive like Danielson was last year, but not enough to not send him back... Then his SHL season ends and he gets a look, similar to Kasper in 23-24. Camp next year he gives them no choice.

And I'd have less reservations sending MBN back than Danielson. My main concern with sending Danielson back last year was is he too good for Junior but not good enough for the NHL. With MBN, he'll at least be playing in a pro league with adults.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

A more consistent Niederreiter with better defence is basically a really physical/annoying 25 goal scorer with really good defence. I dont know how anyone could be mad about that where he was picked.

Speaking of lofty comps, I think Ovechkin isnt a bad one either. Not as good obviously but just a shooter who gets in on the forecheck and trucks guys. Nygard might have a little more stick work and defensive play in there but theres a comp to be had there

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Between you and Chayka, only one of you used the word xenophobic… and it wasn’t Chayka
Of course he's xenomorphobic. Have you seen what those things look like? Who wouldn't be?

images.jpeg

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Personally I'd prefer reverting to the days where we had Holland/Wright ignoring the Euro scouts and relying heavily on NA drafting. We were so successful over that period...
but didn't guys like Fedorov, Lidstrom, Hasek, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Larionov, Fischer, Zetterberg, Hudler, Samuelsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula all play major roles in their success over those years...also Fetisov and Kozlov where there at the start of those years. So they had a very heavy Euro influence....

also looking at Detroit Drafting over that time

98 - Jiri Fischer was the 1st rounder
99 - they never had a pick till 4th round and that was a euro
00 - Kronwall was the 1st pick and Kopecky was a 2nd round pick
01- Greigorenko was their 2nd round pick
02 - Hudler and Tomas Fleischmann where their top 2 round pick
03 - they took Howard from the USA so there is 1
04 - Franzen was their 1st pick (3rd rounder)
05 - Kindl wa their 1st round pick another euro
06 - Axelsson was there 1st pick (2nd round) euro
07 - Brendan Smith was a 1st round pick for them (he was not good at all)
08 - Tom McCollum was 1st round (he was real bad)
09 - they had 2 2nd rounders, Landon Ferrero (he was not good) and Tatar a euro who was good
10 - Riley Sheahan 1st round and he was not great at all

fact is Detroit has always been a big Euro for like the last 30 years and most of their top picks have been Euros even during the Holland time

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
09 - they had 2 2nd rounders, Landon Ferrero (he was not good) and Tatar a euro who was good

fact is Detroit has always been a big Euro for like the last 30 years and most of their top picks have been Euros even during the Holland time
Kindl was drafted out of the OHL and Axelsson was their 3rd pick in the 2nd round.

Fact is from 2003 to 2018 Detroit only drafted a player out of europe (actually playing in europe) in the first two rounds the following years:

2006 - 2nd round, Axelsson
2009 - 2nd round, Tatar
2010 - 2nd round, Järnkrok
2016 - 2nd round, Hronek
2017 - 2nd round, Lindström
2018 - 2nd round, Berggren

That's 6 out of 30 picks in the first two rounds.
And you can see how their european scouting staff managed to very nearly get NHL players with 100% of those picks!

For some reason Joe McDonnell became Director of Scouting for Detroit in 2003 and thought the right move was to never use top picks on players out of europe again. When he left, Tyler Wright took over who had a similar mindset.

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
but didn't guys like Fedorov, Lidstrom, Hasek, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Larionov, Fischer, Zetterberg, Hudler, Samuelsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula all play major roles in their success over those years...also Fetisov and Kozlov where there at the start of those years. So they had a very heavy Euro influence....

also looking at Detroit Drafting over that time

98 - Jiri Fischer was the 1st rounder
99 - they never had a pick till 4th round and that was a euro
00 - Kronwall was the 1st pick and Kopecky was a 2nd round pick
01- Greigorenko was their 2nd round pick
02 - Hudler and Tomas Fleischmann where their top 2 round pick
03 - they took Howard from the USA so there is 1
04 - Franzen was their 1st pick (3rd rounder)

Relative to the hype, Brendan Smith was disappointing... But I'm pretty sure most GMs would gladly take Smith's career at 27th overall.

Late 20s picks often don't even make the NHL. Smith had a long career even if he was mediocre.

Reactions: Dempsey

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Kindl was drafted out of the OHL and Axelsson was their 3rd pick in the 2nd round.

Fact is from 2003 to 2018 Detroit only drafted a player out of europe (actually playing in europe) in the first two rounds the following years:

2006 - 2nd round, Axelsson
2009 - 2nd round, Tatar
2010 - 2nd round, Järnkrok
2016 - 2nd round, Hronek
2017 - 2nd round, Lindström
2018 - 2nd round, Berggren

That's 6 out of 30 picks in the first two rounds.
And you can see how their european scouting staff managed to very nearly get NHL players with 100% of those picks!

For some reason Joe McDonnell became Director of Scouting for Detroit in 2003 and thought the right move was to never use top picks on players out of europe again. When he left, Tyler Wright took over who had a similar mindset.
those 2nd round picks where there first picks in those drafts im pretty sure

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
If we’re tossing out comparables, he’s like a next gen franzen in my eyes. Shorter and quicker than the OG, but has that forechecking presence and piss missile shot

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

That’s would be bonkers as Nino and MBN play nothing alike. An abjectly terrible comp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad