RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - Mora IK J20, J20 Nationell (2024, 15th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
but didn't guys like Fedorov, Lidstrom, Hasek, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Larionov, Fischer, Zetterberg, Hudler, Samuelsson, Kronwall, Franzen, Filppula all play major roles in their success over those years...also Fetisov and Kozlov where there at the start of those years. So they had a very heavy Euro influence....

also looking at Detroit Drafting over that time

98 - Jiri Fischer was the 1st rounder
99 - they never had a pick till 4th round and that was a euro
00 - Kronwall was the 1st pick and Kopecky was a 2nd round pick
01- Greigorenko was their 2nd round pick
02 - Hudler and Tomas Fleischmann where their top 2 round pick
03 - they took Howard from the USA so there is 1
04 - Franzen was their 1st pick (3rd rounder)
05 - Kindl wa their 1st round pick another euro
06 - Axelsson was there 1st pick (2nd round) euro
07 - Brendan Smith was a 1st round pick for them (he was not good at all)
08 - Tom McCollum was 1st round (he was real bad)
09 - they had 2 2nd rounders, Landon Ferrero (he was not good) and Tatar a euro who was good
10 - Riley Sheahan 1st round and he was not great at all

fact is Detroit has always been a big Euro for like the last 30 years and most of their top picks have been Euros even during the Holland time
Buddy, you are missing the distinction of when Holland was in charge vs when he wasn’t. Guy inherited a monster and turned it into bottom 5 org.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
One of the oldest players in the draft. Keep your pants on.
At the top of the draft, older players actually usually turn out better than younger players. Less risk involved in evaluating them

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
At the top of the draft, older players actually usually turn out better than younger players. Less risk involved in evaluating them

I'd ask you to substantiate your claim, but this is not really relevant to what I said. I didn't say that I believe Brandsegg-Nygard won't turn into a good player.

He's a very polished, older high-floor player. It's not surprising he's doing things right now other guys aren't doing. But it's important to understand why this is and probably best to temper expectations.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Literally none of those picks were the first pick in those drafts.
maybe you should go re-read those drafts....those where Detroits 1st players picked in those drafts...also if a euro is playing CHL or europe, he is still a European....he all of a sudden never not became a euro lol.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
maybe you should go re-read those drafts....those where Detroits 1st players picked in those drafts...
Not sure if you're looking at a bad source or simply trying to lie? Such a weird thing to stick to.

2018 they picked Zadina and Veleno before Berggren
2017 they picked Rasmussen before Lindström
2016 they picked Cholowski and Smith before Hronek
2010 they picked Shehan before Järnkrok
2009 they picked Ferraro before Tatar
2006 they picked Emmerton and Matthias before Axelsson.

also if a euro is playing CHL or europe, he is still a European....he all of a sudden never not became a euro lol.
Because nationality isn't the key - it's the geographical scouting area. Håkan Andersson isn't scouting european prospects, he's scouting prospects in europe..
For a long time they used their highest picks mainly on players in north-america, and by now it's pretty obvious that was a poor decision. There is a reason Yzerman has leaned heavily on his euro scouts AND requested that Andersson make more frequent visits to NA to better weigh in on those prospects.

Reactions: izlez

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Not sure if you're looking at a bad source or simply trying to lie? Such a weird thing to stick to.

2018 they picked Zadina and Veleno before Berggren
2017 they picked Rasmussen before Lindström
2016 they picked Cholowski and Smith before Hronek
2010 they picked Shehan before Järnkrok
2009 they picked Ferraro before Tatar
2006 they picked Emmerton and Matthias before Axelsson.

Because nationality isn't the key - it's the geographical scouting area. Håkan Andersson isn't scouting european prospects, he's scouting prospects in europe..
For a long time they used their highest picks mainly on players in north-america, and by now it's pretty obvious that was a poor decision. There is a reason Yzerman has leaned heavily on his euro scouts AND requested that Andersson make more frequent visits to NA to better weigh in on those prospects.
i was a scout for a long time in the QMJHL for Gatineau won a championship worked with team Canada for U17, U18, we always consider Euros coming over Euros still, same as my friends in the NHL scouting circles, the euros with the chl teams are still called Euros too them...just because the European comes to NA to play does not count him as a NA pick.

also my bad with the drafts, but all the NA players really where not that good for them compared to the Euros, so looks like the euros where still their better players....

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I'd ask you to substantiate your claim, but this is not really relevant to what I said. I didn't say that I believe Brandsegg-Nygard won't turn into a good player.

He's a very polished, older high-floor player. It's not surprising he's doing things right now other guys aren't doing. But it's important to understand why this is and probably best to temper expectations.
Not sure why you’re being so weird about this, he’s 2 months older than his peers, not 2 years.

Reactions: cole von cole

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
i was a scout for a long time in the QMJHL for Gatineau won a championship worked with team Canada for U17, U18, we always consider Euros coming over Euros still, same as my friends in the NHL scouting circles, the euros with the chl teams are still called Euros too them...just because the European comes to NA to play does not count him as a NA pick.
Yes it does lol. Scouts have geographical areas they are based in. NA scouts are scouting in NA, yes, even if a european player comes and plays there.

also my bad with the drafts, but all the NA players really where not that good for them compared to the Euros, so looks like the euros where still their better players....
This was the entire point. Detroit's NA scouting was bad for a long time. Spending so much of their good draft capital on NA picks was dumb, and Yzerman has course corrected.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That was a good pick from Detroit. They are missing out on top talent because of where they finish (no man land, 10-18th) , but pick up players hard to play against instead. I prefer that to drafting a bunch of smallish players over and over like Buffalo. And then you trade them for a bigger player of lower value a few years after.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
That was a good pick from Detroit. They are missing out on top talent because of where they finish (no man land, 10-18th) , but pick up players hard to play against instead. I prefer that to drafting a bunch of smallish players over and over like Buffalo. And then you trade them for a bigger player of lower value a few years after.

These guys are getting my hopes up...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Great analysis, you looked at his birth certificate. Have you watched him play, or is that not necessary?

Top ~15 player of his draft class, not a bad outcome. Let's see how MBN's d+1 progresses though. Niederreiter in his 19 year old season had 1 point in 55 NHL games, it was kind of a brutal development year for him. Could have impacted him negatively.
That's fair but the other poster has a point and I often disagree with him.

The thing is here is that we have an older drafted guy who is a physical specimen and might have less room for growth than many other physically still growing prospects.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Martin Elz

Jun 17, 2009
Ängelholm

He's looked terrific the first couple of preseason games (2 goals in 2 games).
Thank you for the video. It makes me really excited for this prospect. I saw a bunch of podcasts on youtube crying about it being too much of a "safe bet" and "such an Yzerman pick". And they wanted Eiserman or Connolly.
I love this pick for Detroit.
He has real tenacity and goalscoring ability.

Please, shut it about Yzerman and euro vs North American picks. It's not the right thread for it. I want to read about this prospect. Every time I come in here and want news of this player it's all just bickering.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I'll look for it but there was a published study going around (i've seen it on here before) around the time Lafreniere was going to go 1st overall. It basically said in general, younger players in the draft will get drafted more but top 10 or sopicks that are later birthdays actually have better outcomes. They figured it was because these players are more polished so youre not drafting on upside as much as what youre actually going to get.

But I would say that the older player stuff doesnt really matter when youre not talking about a CHL or USHL player in juniors. If a guy is doing it in the SHL/Allsvenskan/mens leagues, age is extremely irrelevant.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I didn't really know this player super well because he's well outside of my territory, but I was doing some Allsvenskan scouting for another project and came away pleasantly surprised by Brandsegg-Nygard. Because of film quality, I grabbed a WJC game of his broke it down shift by shift...he has some fairly advanced spatial and proprioceptive tendencies already...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Reminds me a fair bit of Silfverberg

Think that's a good comparable as far as playstyle and realistic potential

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't really know this player super well because he's well outside of my territory, but I was doing some Allsvenskan scouting for another project and came away pleasantly surprised by Brandsegg-Nygard. Because of film quality, I grabbed a WJC game of his broke it down shift by shift...he has some fairly advanced spatial and proprioceptive tendencies already...

I like "game wrecker" as a category of player.

And I know some folks are going to hear it is a lower value category, but I'd take MBN over plenty of players that have more puck skill. He's the type of player to drive really good goal results on both sides of the ice.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I like "game wrecker" as a category of player.

And I know some folks are going to hear it is a lower value category, but I'd take MBN over plenty of players that have more puck skill. He's the type of player to drive really good goal results on both sides of the ice.
It's easier to destroy than it is to create. So there's inherent value there. But you're right, of course, there's definite value in this type of player on the ice, on the bench...just around.

It's kind of interesting...we just saw 14th overall for 14th overall in 2022 and 2023 (and I just did a video on Rutger McGroarty). Then here's 15th overall in might end up being a pretty tough draft. This 15 is looking pretty well put together than the two 14s that just got swapped without adjusting for age...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's easier to destroy than it is to create. So there's inherent value there. But you're right, of course, there's definite value in this type of player on the ice, on the bench...just around.

It's kind of interesting...we just saw 14th overall for 14th overall in 2022 and 2023 (and I just did a video on Rutger McGroarty). Then here's 15th overall in might end up being a pretty tough draft. This 15 is looking pretty well put together than the two 14s that just got swapped without adjusting for age...

Do you think he can play on a top line, as a complement to a Hughes-Bratt type duo?

I was thinking he could do it, he'd obviously bring in a lot in terms of winning pucks back and being able to finish. That's largely why I had him around #7. But I didn't see him that high anywhere else. Your hockeyprospect colleagues put MBN at #16, where most folks had him. It seems most people have him locked in as a third line type of guy.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That's fair but the other poster has a point and I often disagree with him.

The thing is here is that we have an older drafted guy who is a physical specimen and might have less room for growth than many other physically still growing prospects.

I mean, he’s still a physical specimen. If he’s getting more comfortable using his size to his advantage that could be advantageous to carving out a role versus kids who have to grow into their frame and don’t realize they can be a bully with their size. If anything it brings his ceiling up a bit and the fact that he has a scoring touch is becoming more and more the necessity for NHL success. Every line needs to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad