RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I watched his current team's last 2 games against Torpedo and CSKA. Sochi's simply terrible, can't remember if there was such a weak team in the KHL. They allow over 40 SOG (most of which are high-quality shots) almost every game, they can't hold the puck, no puck possession (except rare powerplay stretches), lack of quality scoring chances. That team is hopeless. Against CSKA they looked like a mediocre AHL team against healthy Avalanche squad. Score doesn't reflect the whole picture cuz their goalie had a career night.
But I see all of that as an invaluable experience for Michkov. It's like he was playing on "Beginner" mode till now but now it's turning to "Extra Hard". He's the only player in Sochi who can adequately carry the puck. He still manages to find scoring opportunities despite playing in a team with almost zero puck possession game. He's really trying on defense. He's BLOCKING shots. I think he got 4 blocks against CSKA. Don't expect him to be a PPG player in current situation. I'm not even sure that McDavids and Mackinnons of this world would be able to produce PPG if they were put in Michkov's position. I'm expecting him to produce just a bit less then 0.5 PPG. And that'll be more then fine. Watch a couple of games and you'll see that the boy is a PLAYER.

This adversity will be great for his development. This is good even if it looks like not

Reactions: Realgud

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Yes, OK. I understand the Hype but this is simply Not true. You mean at the U 18s? He is a Tier above Michkov at this Point? Because He dominantes the U 20? You simply cant compare now. Its a Matter of fact.

He's a tier above Michkov because he's taken his game to an entirely different level this season.

Anyone denying that Bedard is clearly a superior prospect to Michkov at this point needs to start paying attention.

This isn't a knock on Michkov, I still think he's a #1OA caliber prospect in most Draft years, but Bedard is simply special.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's a tier above Michkov because he's taken his game to an entirely different level this season.

Anyone denying that Bedard is clearly a superior prospect to Michkov at this point needs to start paying attention.

This isn't a knock on Michkov, I still think he's a #1OA caliber prospect in most Draft years, but Bedard is simply special.

Clown avatar perfect for you.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

Absolutely everyone is "paying attention" to Bedard. Are you paying attention to Michkov though? Legitimately asking. I'd still take Bedard first but Michkov is very close in my eyes, and that could get interesting as it gets nearer to the draft. Michkov does things that I think will translate better to the NHL level but I'll reserve my observations for the summer.

Reactions: Alienblood

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I got around to watching Michkov's games over the last week and a bit. I get the circumstances involved and the fact that he's an undersized 17 year old and whatnot but yeah, it's hard to imagine that he was rated close to Bedard at this time last year. A year has made things so different.

Im still not comfortable rating him until I see how he handles the second half of the year but I won't be surprised I end up rating him 5th or so.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Absolutely everyone is "paying attention" to Bedard. Are you paying attention to Michkov though? Legitimately asking. I'd still take Bedard first but Michkov is very close in my eyes, and that could get interesting as it gets nearer to the draft. Michkov does things that I think will translate better to the NHL level but I'll reserve my observations for the summer.

Yes, that is quite literally why I'm in this thread right now. He had fantastic production in the VHL, but I do have some concerns regarding him playing on such an abysmal team in the KHL.

I don't view it as particularly close as this time, that's not a slight on Michkov, as again, I view him as a #1 overall type of prospect in more Draft classes than not from a talent prospective.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Yes, that is quite literally why I'm in this thread right now. He had fantastic production in the VHL, but I do have some concerns regarding him playing on such an abysmal team in the KHL.

I don't view it as particularly close as this time, that's not a slight on Michkov, as again, I view him as a #1 overall type of prospect in more Draft classes than not from a talent prospective.
Ok that's fair. I watch both a lot and like them a lot for different reasons. I do think Bedard is safer as a franchise talent but I see it more because of his skating speed and strength rather than just looking at his junior stats. Anyway, I respect anyone who actually watches and can explain their opinion. I'm of the opinion that Michkov is closer to Bedard than what most people think but I can see why people think otherwise. I'm usually a big believer in intelligence for nhl dominance and I think Michkov is the smartest prospect I've watched maybe ever, but he is quite slight on his frame and doesn't have great top speed, so that's a downside. I'm curious to see how he'll do with the dreadful Sochi team.

Reactions: TimeZone

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Michkov would have scored 15+ Points at this years world juniors. We all know the reason why he couldn't.

He is still easily second best in the draft and a potential superstar in the making. It's just that it's going to be a lot harder for people to see it on surface level for the next couple years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's performed great everywhere else, but his KHL play has certainly been a disappointment for me. It's hard to imagine an Ovechkin would struggle with KHL. So he's probably not as talented as we've thought.

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
He's performed great everywhere else, but his KHL play has certainly been a disappointment for me. It's hard to imagine an Ovechkin would struggle with KHL. So he's probably not as talented as we've thought.
Ovechkin scored 13 goals in 53 games in the draft year.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He failed to score on penalty shot vs CSKA. I mean CSKA failed to score like 15 very good to great scoring chances and got PS against when just 1:10 left and the score was still 1:0. Maxim Tretyak looked like his grandfather vs Montreal in that legendary 1975 year New Year Eve game, maybe even better, so Sochi had a real chance to tie the game. And Michkov failed to score on the PS...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

You've watched the games and saw him struggle? Because I'm not seeing a guy struggle at all. He's standing out and making things happen on a pretty awful team. He's even back-checking well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Where does he go?

2 or 3? I think Fantilli goes 4 but I could see someone go for the C in Carlsson.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Put the bottle of Russian Standard down and try coming up with an actual opposing argument.
Michkov doesn’t play against his peers at all this year. He’s on another level of competition than Bedard now.

Where does he go?

2 or 3? I think Fantilli goes 4 but I could see someone go for the C in Carlsson.
Likely 4th because of contract and political shenanigans.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Michkov doesn’t play against his peers at all this year. He’s on another level of competition than Bedard now.

Likely 4th because of contract and political shenanigans.

Playing against men doesn't equal being the superior prospect.

He's not, and it's even more difficult to judge him due to the fact that production is not going to come easy playing on such a miserable team.

Reactions: Just Linda

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
You should charge for these insights.

I would suggest reading the post somebody is responding to next time before attempting to be clever.

You're coming across as a prime example of why the gene pool should have lifeguards at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad