RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023 Draft) - PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
8+4 after 8 games in the VHL.

Today's game was his best game by far this season. He at last dominated the game, could easily have a couple of more points.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Something I’ve noticed with Michkov - he’s exceptionally good at shooting with the puck significantly in front of him. Like to get good power/accuracy, the vast majority of players will shoot with the puck more in-line with or even slightly behind their body, but Michkov shoots it great even when the puck is well in front of him. Makes his release very deceptive, and let’s him get off nice shots under tight checking like this (if he had to draw it back first, #16 probably interrupts the shot).

While pretty much every NHLer has a hard, accurate shot, only the elite goal scorers maintain that power and accuracy under tight checking, with almost no time/space. Michkov has that ability.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Something I’ve noticed with Michkov - he’s exceptionally good at shooting with the puck significantly in front of him. Like to get good power/accuracy, the vast majority of players will shoot with the puck more in-line with or even slightly behind their body, but Michkov shoots it great even when the puck is well in front of him. Makes his release very deceptive, and let’s him get off nice shots under tight checking like this (if he had to draw it back first, the defender probably interrupts the shot).

Yeah, exactly, it's his signature shot, when I see it I know it's Michkov because I don't know anybody else who loves and can shoot like this.

Reactions: ponder and CapSpace

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Great goal in the first minute or so of the game today. It’s hard to imagine a world we he doesn’t end up being a monster in the NHL.

He’s closer to a Bedard than people want to realize. I’ve seen people put Sale, Fantilli, and Carlsson over him in their draft rankings and I really think that is nonsense. He’s closer to 1 than he is to whoever goes 3rd.

I think, as long as you’re confident that he’ll come over, you take him whenever you feel he’s BPA - even if that’s 2nd overall. 3 years is the equivalent of drafting a Canadian kid, letting him finish his CHL career and then giving him a full year of AHL time. Not really the end of the world. Obviously when you’re bad enough to draft a kid like that you want him playing right away, if for nothing else than to give the fans something to be excited about, but we’re still talking 21 years of age when he’s finally here. If he’s close to Bedard level, I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Great goal in the first minute or so of the game today. It’s hard to imagine a world we he doesn’t end up being a monster in the NHL.

He’s closer to a Bedard than people want to realize. I’ve seen people put Sale, Fantilli, and Carlsson over him in their draft rankings and I really think that is nonsense. He’s closer to 1 than he is to whoever goes 3rd.

Fantilli is making a very strong case this year and is a better bet to stay at centre than Bedard. Another month or two of this production and I can see mock drafts projecting him at #1.

Bedard/Michkov comes down to faith at this point. As I see it, Bedard has done nothing to separate himself in this draft. He’s producing big in a junior league, but that’s expected. So far the pro-Bedard argument has come down to the Russian factor and Michkov’s contract (which doesn’t make him a better prospect, but does greatly increase his chances of going first overall).

We’ve been robbed of a really exciting wjc matchup which could have settled some arguments.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Because of politics, Michkov won’t be drafted first or even possibly not second regardless if he’s the best player available
IMO politics are less of a concern than his contract. If he was coming to the NHL next year, he'd likely go #2, despite the political situation with Russia. Stiff competition from guys like Fantilli and Leo Carlsson, teams love big centres with franchise player upside, but I think he'd go #2.

However, him being signed for 3 more years in Russia is a big concern. It's a long time to wait, and there's no guarantee he'll come over even then - he could re-up again if they give him an amazing offer. While with Fantilli and Carlsson, there's no such waiting or risk. If you have Fantilli or Carlsson close to Michkov, would be a tough gamble to make.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
IMO politics are less of a concern than his contract. If he was coming to the NHL next year, he'd likely go #2, despite the political situation with Russia. Stiff competition from guys like Fantilli and Leo Carlsson, teams love big centres with franchise player upside, but I think he'd go #2.

However, him being signed for 3 more years in Russia is a big concern. It's a long time to wait, and there's no guarantee he'll come over even then - he could re-up again if they give him an amazing offer. While with Fantilli and Carlsson, there's no such waiting or risk. If you have Fantilli or Carlsson close to Michkov, would be a tough gamble to make.

I love people. There are more Russians in the league than almost ever but they still keep saying "there's no guarantee if he'll come over"...

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I love people. There are more Russians in the league than almost ever but they still keep saying "there's no guarantee if he'll come over"...

Politically we're certainly in unprecedented times, but I agree that it's very unlikely things will change and ultimately it'll be just a slightly longer wait for Michkov.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018

That’s such BS and you know it. Everyone comes over. Everyone… And Michkov will not be the exception playing his whole career in Russia. The one and only question will be who are the GMs who are stupid enough not to take the future best Player on this Planet an will look super ludicrous in 3 years.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
That’s such BS and you know it. Everyone comes over. Everyone… And Michkov will not be the exception playing his whole career in Russia. The one and only question will be who are the GMs who are stupid enough not to take the future best Player on this Planet an will look super ludicrous in 3 years.
Not everyone - Barulin didn’t come over fir the Blues, for instance.

Hairy Apparatus

Mar 6, 2018
Something I’ve noticed with Michkov - he’s exceptionally good at shooting with the puck significantly in front of him. Like to get good power/accuracy, the vast majority of players will shoot with the puck more in-line with or even slightly behind their body, but Michkov shoots it great even when the puck is well in front of him. Makes his release very deceptive, and let’s him get off nice shots under tight checking like this (if he had to draw it back first, the defender probably interrupts the shot).
it looks like phil kessels shot a bit

Reactions: ponder

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m not saying he never comes over, just that it’s likely 3 years until he comes over, and there’s a legit chance it’s more.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad