RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
KHL production only means something if you’re a Montreal fan and if it’s Demidov. “Generational“ btw.
I know it is early but I am predicting Michkov is going to be a franchise player and I would be willing to bet he will be better the Bedard.....that is no slight against Bedard, only that Michkov is going to be incredible....only injuries can derail this kid......the Flyers have a great piece to build around now.

Reactions: The Wizard

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ovechkin was 100% seen as a generational prospect. FLA tried to take him 3rd overall in 2003, the deepest draft of all time, using a birthday technicality.

Malkin was viewed as strong 1OA calibre prospect in his own right, but Ovechkin was seen as a tier above that.

The media wasn’t what it is today back then and there was no social media, so I get why you’d think that, especially if you were young, but you’re incorrect.

I'm 39. I dont recall Ovechkin being hyped as "generational," but to be fair I was in my late teens/early 20s at the time and doing more partying than prospect watching lol.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well then either you're simply not watching or you don't comprehend what you're watching.

Michkov IQ is by far and away his biggest attribute. He does stuff no other player I've ever seen play the game do outside of Crosby
Look I'm done arguing this but let's suppose that you are right how do you explain his total lack of a defensive game and lack of tilting the ice 5 on 5 in any meaningful way then?

Or maybe you just haven't been watching hockey very long?

Right now he looks like a PP merchant like I suggested upthread.

I promise you, your definition of generational isn't normal.

Orr
Crosby
Ovechkin

At bare minimum need to be added
I agree with this but the "generational tag" gets thrown around way too easily and has lost all meaning.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
~7 minutes of highlights from Michkov's first 7 NHL games:

Also shared my thoughts here if anyone's interested: First Impressions: Matvei Michkov

After reading through this thread, I agree with the Matthew Tkachuk style comp (NZ link-up play from RW and quick-strike playmaking near the goal line). Whiskey's takes align pretty closely with mine. We can debate how much his speed will hold him back long-term, but there's really no denying the puck skills and IQ. Sees the ice like very few young players in the game.

I read the write up with this video you made, very accurate assessment.

He definitely needs power skating training/muscle building regimen to improve his top speed. As is, with no skating improvement, it is quite safe to say that he can still be an 80-90 pt player in his prime, but with just an uptick in his skating speed/explosiveness, those point totals will rise significantly.

Currently he is at 54th percentile top speed as your write up mentioned....basically average top speed. He needs to get it to 40th percentile (slightly above average top speed). The write up alluded to Kaprizov and Brayden Point's skating improvement, but the list is long for players who improved their skating from their rookie years

Draisatl, Mark Stone, Luc Robitaiile, Couturier, Brink, Horvat.

That's all Michkov needs really and it can be done. I just hope that flyers management puts priority in this to set him up with a dedicated program.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What do you think is Bedard's physical limitations??

He's a pretty good skater

Is it his size?

Bedard is short (plays at elbow height and lacks reach), and is not fast enough to gain separation. Michkov has that problem and is even slower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad