RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
One of the more interesting storylines in the NHL in my opinion. So much controversy around him with the Russian factor and if that played a part in him falling to the Flyers.

I always said he is a 1B to Bedard being a 1A.

As a fan of the Habs....I am hoping I have always been wrong about Michkov, but I suspect in the end, I will only be angry.

Still happy with Demidov though ;)
I would have drafted Michkov too last year but . . . then you're not getting Demidov this year. There's ZERO chance that HuGo would have used their only top 5 pick each year for three consecutive drafts on a wing. In the end, it likely all worked out (only time will tell) - two top six wings and a top pairing RD.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Absolutely a franchise changing opportunity.....**IF** he ends up like Malkin. Double **IF** for the Habs if Reinbacher is another Cam Barker (speaking of 2004 draft).

Only time will tell this story.
Imo Michkov will be a franchise altering player. Players selected 2-6 will always be compared to him and seen as opportunity lost, even if they become solid NHLers.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That can't be the only reason he fell to #7. Sorry I don't buy it for a second bro. You say he has no warts and he's perfect, fine. I doubt GMs and scouts were saying the same though.

The Russian factor likely wasn't as strong as you're making it to be, considering even a Russian Defenceman went before Michkov. The 3 years is a concern sure, but if he's Bedard 2.0 with no warts and clearly generational, then you have to take him at #2 UNLESS there are other things being takin into consideration.

Habs also didn't draft reinbacher to be a #3. His ceiling is #1RD, that's what habs hope he can become. RD>W in terms of value, assuming both are at least elite. Would you rather have a RD like Petriangelo or Weber? Or would you rather Kaprisov? Can't go wrong with either or but I can totally understand why teams would choose the RD.
Okay, don’t buy it. Michkov lighted up on every levels and continuing to do it. He is not the first or second or third Russian player who was drafted later than he should, he is not the last. Year later jabs were lucky to draft player who should be drafted before.
Telling about “Russian factor isn’t big” is fun when we have teams like send or ducks who don’t draft russians from Russia at all.

Ceiling of Michkov is 100-120+ points player. ceiling of Reinbacher is 50-60 points two way defenseman. It’s not even close. RD>W in vacuum, players like Kaprisov, Kucherov, Robertson, Tkachuk are more valuable, cost more. Again player like Makar, Niskanen, Quinn Hughes can be labeled as as important and I understand if someone will call them more important. But Reinbacher isn’t there on his stage. Michkov was there all the time at his stages. Again reason why the pick itself was wrong. As for mtl, as for AC, we can talk about other teams.

If you think that it’s okay to draft Reinbacher over Michkov, imagine if mtl would pass on Demidov for some defenseman this year. Mtl still had Caufield, Slaf, Mesar and centers Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Beck and drafted Hage after.

Both Michkov and Demidov were too talented to pass them for Reinbacher, Simashev, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Dickinson, Buium or Silayev. Mtl made right decision this year. Ducks? Are we talking about Russian factor?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I would have drafted Michkov too last year but . . . then you're not getting Demidov this year. There's ZERO chance that HuGo would have used their only top 5 pick each year for three consecutive drafts on a wing. In the end, it likely all worked out (only time will tell) - two top six wings and a top pairing RD.
Why? Create best top-6 in the league and don’t worry. Very good defensemen can be part of the trade, it happens all the time. Or free agent signings. Players of Michkov or Demidov caliber are very rare on the market.

Slaf Suzuki Caufield
Demidov Dach/Newhook/Hage Michkov

It would be deadly top 6. Dynasty material. Even with average defense.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Why? Create best top-6 in the league and don’t worry. Very good defensemen can be part of the trade, it happens all the time. Or free agent signings. Players of Michkov or Demidov caliber are very rare on the market.

Slaf Suzuki Caufield

Because that's not how NHL GM's construct teams, whether you agree or not. Show me an example where a team drafted a wing in the top 5 three years in a row. If you can, I'll be quiet.

Reactions: viceroy

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Slaf Suzuki Caufield

I think the cascading effect of decisions is such an unknown. Not sure Hugo goes for Demidov if Michkov was selected. Or, that we make a play for Laine if we had both Michkov and Demidov. Also, Hage may not have been an option. At the point of the Reinbacher decision, all things led us to where we are. Which the vast majority of Habs fans are very happy with.

Only time will tell in the end whether these were good decisions by Hugo.

Also, another scenario is possible. Michkov becomes the 2nd best player out of the last two drafts and Hugo still made the right decision. Mind blowing isn't it?

Alas....this is the Michkov thread, and I had no intention of highjacking it. He is an unreal talent.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That can't be the only reason he fell to #7. Sorry I don't buy it for a second bro. You say he has no warts and he's perfect, fine. I doubt GMs and scouts were saying the same though.

The Russian factor likely wasn't as strong as you're making it to be, considering even a Russian Defenceman went before Michkov. The 3 years is a concern sure, but if he's Bedard 2.0 with no warts and clearly generational, then you have to take him at #2 UNLESS there are other things being takin into consideration.

Habs also didn't draft reinbacher to be a #3. His ceiling is #1RD, that's what habs hope he can become. RD>W in terms of value, assuming both are at least elite. Would you rather have a RD like Petriangelo or Weber? Or would you rather Kaprisov? Can't go wrong with either or but I can totally understand why teams would choose the RD.

Yeah, you're right. But there is a nuance: Mitchcough is way closer to Kap than Bacher to Weber or Pie.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

Slaf Suzuki Caufield

theres zero chance we pick Demidov this year if they picked Michkov last year people love offensive power but forget how important def is that would leave us with a huge hole at RD and thats one of the most important position its the same thing Chicago did this year taking Levshunov over Demidov i remember Hawks fans calling me crazy for saying Chicago was going def but GMs really value dman its very important come playoffs time thats players that will play 25 to 30min a game

We wanted Michkov last year the Reinbacher pick created chaos on social media but today with Demidov we are very happy that it worked out for us so lets stop this hate on both sides and wish both players the best

Cheers

Reactions: Gustave

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
theres zero chance we pick Demidov this year if they picked Michkov last year people love offensive power but forget how important def is that would leave us with a huge hole at RD and thats one of the most important position its the same thing Chicago did this year taking Levshunov over Demidov i remember Hawks fans calling me crazy for saying Chicago was going def but GMs really value dman its very important come playoffs time thats players that will play 25 to 30min a game

We wanted Michkov last year the Reinbacher pick created chaos on social media but today with Demidov we are very happy that it worked out for us so lets stop this hate on both sides and wish both players the best

Cheers
You wouldn't take Demidov at 5 if he was available again? Man that feels a bit risky. Having Michkov + Demidov to play behind the Suzuki line would be pretty awesome.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
So clearly that said nothing about the contract being the pivotal point, which is exactly what I’ve been saying

They didn’t like something about the player
"There were so many unknowns, three years of waiting..."

It does mention the contract as one of the reasons he was passed over.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
You wouldn't take Demidov at 5 if he was available again? Man that feels a bit risky. Having Michkov + Demidov to play behind the Suzuki line would be pretty awesome.
yes great top 6 but who plays RD ? Look at Toronto for years theyve had one of the best top 6s if not the best one and they cant pass the first round

Offense will win you games in the regular season but defence will win you games in the playoffs passing on Michkov last year hurt but now with Demidov and Reinbacher we filled 2 big holes

Reactions: viceroy and Gustave

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Michkov thread full of Habs fans.

Demidov thread full of PHI fans.

Let's just end the war please. Michkov looks like a future star.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
They drafted Slaf the year before Michkov. NO CHANCE they would take a wing with a top 5 pick 3 years in a row. Zero.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They drafted Slaf the year before. NO CHANCE they were taking a wing with a top 5 pick 3 years in a row. Zero.
yes great top 6 but who plays RD ? Look at Toronto for years theyve had one of the best top 6s if not the best one and they cant pass the first round

Offense will win you games in the regular season but defence will win you games in the playoffs passing on Michkov last year hurt but now with Demidov and Reinbacher we filled 2 big holes
I would take BPA no question that high in the draft. If needed you can trade one of them for a prime RD, or sign one in UFA.

Reactions: Realgud

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Michkov and Demidov are both going to be studs. Guys drop for lots of reasons that go beyond just skill or abilities. No the right fit, maybe didn't want to play there as some others have mentioned. Russians have the Russian factors (plus the war piece scarred lots of teams - plus with the Fedotov stuff). I believe he also had a bit more attitude pre his fathers death. This has also been mentioned by team mates of some of these positive changes he's made since.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
That’s fine
They had no idea that they’d be picking 5 and that Demi would be available a year later

They didn’t pass on michkov because of positional excess at wing
Which is not what I said, bro. My point was that they wouldn’t have taken Demidov had they drafted Michkov the year prior.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm not even arguing that, I am arguing that if they had taken Michkov, they still should have taken Demidov at 5 if they thought he was BPA.
100 percent
Anyone arguing otherwise is kidding themselves

Which is not what I said, bro. My point was that they wouldn’t have taken Demidov had they drafted Michkov the year prior.
They very well may have
It would have been stupid to pass on him if they truly felt he was bpa

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Cheers

Levshuvnov is a stud. At 2oa, I leaned Demidov but could easily see why team would think Lev was a better choice.

Heck, I could see a reality where Lev was a year older and went above Will Smith in last year's draft. Levshuvnov on the table and Michkov on the table, I'm taking Levshuvnov without any hesitation.

• Wow
Reactions: HabzSauce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad