RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So why did 5 teams after CHI pass on Michkov? If he was that much of a slam dunk of a prospect he should have gone #2 at worst. Clearly there was something that made teams hesitant.

I agree tho I don't understand why we need to shit on other players. I think both reinbacher and michkov at their peak will be big impact players. Going to be a good time in both MTL and PHI.

I am curious tho why you think it was objectively bad pick at the time and even worse now? What are you basing your opinion on?
Because he is small winger from Russia with three years deal in 2023. He wasn't "if", he was. And he is. Its not a first time, its not a last time.

Reinbacher is good. And I like him. He is just in other lower category.

I base my opinion on their performance. One is special player who will drive offense of his team, other is future 2-3 defenseman. Need in RD isn't the answer to not draft near generational winger. Same for Arizona. Both Reinbacher and Simashev are not future Makars/Quinn Hughes to not draft Michkov. .

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I wish you would stop using the word... but there is no sh1tstorm coming from Mtl against Michkov. He was passed over by 6 teams Mtl being only one of them. Again you generalize against the Habs fanbase. When 2 players are available and you only have one pick then obviously you cannot pick the other player!! Nobody knows who made the right pick and how it will impact the TEAM building process. Lose the chip on your shoulder...Mtl is fine with their pick. If Michkov becomes a superstar then good for him and the Flyers and you as his biggest fan. Let it go!
Nope, there was sh1tstorm. There and in other topics. Again, fans from other teams didn't spent their effort. Again its only part if mtl fan base.
Nope, its a bad pick. It was covered by faked narratives, mtl media were part of the sh1tstorming, and both are continuing to perform. Like I said Mtl can win 3 cups, it doesn't change the fact of bad pick in the moment - Tampa made bad picks, Chicago made bad picks, still won enough.

You are trying to put words I didn't say in my mouth about generalization, you are trying to name me as his biggest fan - I'm not, you are trying to rationalize the wrong bad pick, you are trying to cover it by "both didn't even play in nhl" argument. There were only few players who did. Its not a reason to draft Boucher by 10 or draft Holtz when there were at least Jake Quinn or Jarvis, mostly huge amount of players were better who was drafted after and it was pretty obvious. Its a draft thread, its a topic of this discussions. And its okay to admit mistakes, its okay to live with Re8nbacher because he is a good prospect overall. But we are talking about pick in Michkov thread. And Michkov was and is much better prospect who deserved to be drafted way higher, who continued to show it.
Were afraid of Russian in 2023 with 3 years deal? Say it, everybody will understand.

Reactions: Xirik

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I really like him. Have since he was by far the best player on Team Russia in the whatever year that was U18 and then the entire shortened WJC COVID tournament. That however doesn't make me mistake for a sure thing. He's on the smaller side, doesn't have elite speed(although I think many scouts over weigh this attribute), and tends to float on occasion.

He's really got a quite unique skillset. It might take some time to fully realize it. Weirdly enough his best current NHL comparable might be Bedard. His shot is in the same tier. I do expect Michkov to be in the mix but Celebrini would be my Calder favourite at this moment. One of the most NHL ready C prospects I think I've ever watched. Flyers have better fwds than SJ does though, so if he finds any real line chemistry he could really run away with it.

Reactions: enthuuusiast

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Nope, there was sh1tstorm. There and in other topics. Again, fans from other teams didn't spent their effort. Again its only part if mtl fan base.
Nope, its a bad pick. It was covered by faked narratives, mtl media were part of the sh1tstorming, and both are continuing to perform. Like I said Mtl can win 3 cups, it doesn't change the fact of bad pick in the moment - Tampa made bad picks, Chicago made bad picks, still won enough.

You are trying to put words I didn't say in my mouth about generalization, you are trying to name me as his biggest fan - I'm not, you are trying to rationalize the wrong bad pick, you are trying to cover it by "both didn't even play in nhl" argument. There were only few players who did. Its not a reason to draft Boucher by 10 or draft Holtz when there were at least Jake Quinn or Jarvis, mostly huge amount of players were better who was drafted after and it was pretty obvious. Its a draft thread, its a topic of this discussions. And its okay to admit mistakes, its okay to live with Re8nbacher because he is a good prospect overall. But we are talking about pick in Michkov thread. And Michkov was and is much better prospect who deserved to be drafted way higher, who continued to show it.
Were afraid of Russian in 2023 with 3 years deal? Say it, everybody will understand.
i am not trying to put words in your mouth but rather trying to remove some. Obviously you have your mind made up and you know they say that only fools don't change their mind. Teams picked the players they picked...tough and maybe you were in a sh!tstorm in your country. Here all is good. Enjoy Michkov in Philly and put the hate behind you. Live long and prosper Comrade!

Reactions: viceroy

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
i am not trying to put words in your mouth but rather trying to remove some. Obviously you have your mind made up and you know they say that only fools don't change their mind. Teams picked the players they picked...tough and maybe you were in a sh!tstorm in your country. Here all is good. Enjoy Michkov in Philly and put the hate behind you. Live long and prosper Comrade!
Nope. I'm fine in my country, we have internet and read and watch news from Canada. Im Devils fan btw.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Right on. I think it’s possible that all these Michkov fans were hurt that he was passed on by so many teams and he wasn’t a fit in Montreal anyway. We already players with similar profile while if we drafted Michkov we would still be looking for a high end RHD through either the draft or trade which is unbelievably hard to do.

I’m happy with our selections. I bet Flyers are thrilled with their. It should end here.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
I think his playmaking is going to be a bigger strength than goal scoring and that will surprise the casuals.
Considering he will likely be on lines with guys who have 30+ goal potential in them (Tippett/Foerster/Farabee on LW). I could definitely so a higher assist to goal ratio (especially starting out in the league).

That is kinda how I see him.....more apples....but when he does score, its a massive and important type goal.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Serious?

Can you name them? Would actually like to see the list you provide.
Luke Hughes was drafted 4oa in 2021, along with beniers (2) and mactavish (3)

They are all entering their d+4 season
Yes they are nhl players but none of them are the type that put butts in seats because they haven’t reached their potential yet. Because they are very young

Lafreniere is just starting to look like a first line player

The sedins

Byfield

Nathan McKinnon

Hedman

I’m sure there are plenty more

The contract angle is dumb. If teams loved the player they would have found a way around it

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Nope what?? I did not invite you to Canada if that is what you understood. Hope your info is not too filtered or distorted and remember hockey is a game!
by whom? I just read and watch sources from sources. If some mtl media bum is trying to normalize of bad pick by sh1tting on Michkov - it’s not because evil Russian media is distorting truth Canadien media full of lights.
Thanks, I don’t need to invite to Canada. And nope, I was not in sh1tstorm in my country.
I can read canadien or American media without any filters. It’s you who can’t. And it’s literally the part of mtl fan base who decided to trust in the “filter” of Hughes and mtl media who made tonns of false narratives and false arguments about him. And ring those trumpets. Fans of different teams who just love hockey in general, follow different players from different countries, are not happy about this.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
One of the more interesting storylines in the NHL in my opinion. So much controversy around him with the Russian factor and if that played a part in him falling to the Flyers.

I always said he is a 1B to Bedard being a 1A.

As a fan of the Habs....I am hoping I have always been wrong about Michkov, but I suspect in the end, I will only be angry.

Still happy with Demidov though ;)

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
One of the more interesting storylines in the NHL in my opinion. So much controversy around him with the Russian factor and if that played a part in him falling to the Flyers.

I always said he is a 1B to Bedard being a 1A.

As a fan of the Habs....I am hoping I have always been wrong about Michkov, but I suspect in the end, I will only be angry.

Still happy with Demidov though ;)
There is no question that the 3 year contract was a pivotal factor . This has already been established by at least one team ( Habs /Lapointe ) .

Reactions: waitin425

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Right on. I think it’s possible that all these Michkov fans were hurt that he was passed on by so many teams and he wasn’t a fit in Montreal anyway. We already players with similar profile while if we drafted Michkov we would still be looking for a high end RHD through either the draft or trade which is unbelievably hard to do.

I’m happy with our selections. I bet Flyers are thrilled with their. It should end here.
He would be fit in any team. Mtl drafted player with similar profile year later.
Signing or trading player of Reinbacher profile is much easier than signing or trading of Michkov profile.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There is no question that the 3 year contract was a pivotal factor . This has already been established by at least one team ( Habs /Lapointe ) .
Lmao. He was asked if his contract situation was a factor and he simply replied yes.

« A pivotal factor » is far from the truth.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Oh for sure. More of a revisionist statement I made. Controversy at the time. Hindsight has shown that the "Russian factor" was a consideration only. Time will tell if it was a bad decision for other teams.

I suspect in future redrafts....he will be firmly #2.

Reactions: Fatass

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He would be fit in any team. Mtl drafted player with similar profile year later.
Signing or trading player of Reinbacher profile is much easier than signing or trading of Michkov profile.
No, it is not. Ask the many Devils fans and Michkov lovers in this thread if they would move Nemec for Michkov.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oh for sure. More of a revisionist statement I made. Controversy at the time. Hindsight has shown that the "Russian factor" was a consideration only. Time will tell if it was a bad decision for other teams.

I suspect in future redrafts....he will be firmly #2.
Imo passing on Michkov is like if teams passed on Malkin and he went #7. Franchise changing opportunity missed.

Reactions: Arkadiusz

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Bro the majority of our fanbase wanted him , its like 3 dudes with 200 posts in here trolling and coping , don't put us all in the same basket
I wanted Michkov too.

Most of us wanted Shane Wright over Slafkovsky too. Hughes has shown me enough in the past 3 seasons that he deserves the benefit of the doubt that he's not a complete hockey bro moron. I'm sure he has all of the access to the hockeydb stats and youtube vids that the experts in here do and more. 6 teams passed on Michkov because they preferred other players. Simple as that.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Because he is small winger from Russia with three years deal in 2023. He wasn't "if", he was. And he is. Its not a first time, its not a last time.

Reinbacher is good. And I like him. He is just in other lower category.

I base my opinion on their performance. One is special player who will drive offense of his team, other is future 2-3 defenseman. Need in RD isn't the answer to not draft near generational winger. Same for Arizona. Both Reinbacher and Simashev are not future Makars/Quinn Hughes to not draft Michkov. .
That can't be the only reason he fell to #7. Sorry I don't buy it for a second bro. You say he has no warts and he's perfect, fine. I doubt GMs and scouts were saying the same though.

The Russian factor likely wasn't as strong as you're making it to be, considering even a Russian Defenceman went before Michkov. The 3 years is a concern sure, but if he's Bedard 2.0 with no warts and clearly generational, then you have to take him at #2 UNLESS there are other things being takin into consideration.

Habs also didn't draft reinbacher to be a #3. His ceiling is #1RD, that's what habs hope he can become. RD>W in terms of value, assuming both are at least elite. Would you rather have a RD like Petriangelo or Weber? Or would you rather Kaprisov? Can't go wrong with either or but I can totally understand why teams would choose the RD.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Imo passing on Michkov is like if teams passed on Malkin and he went #7. Franchise changing opportunity missed.
Absolutely a franchise changing opportunity.....**IF** he ends up like Malkin. Double **IF** for the Habs if Reinbacher is another Cam Barker (speaking of 2004 draft).

Only time will tell this story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad