RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That's great and all, but it isn't in the same realm as Crosby. My point was that Crosby's edgework, board work and skating in general is on another level when compared to a player like Michkov. Crosby has always been very strong on his skates and can play with grit. They also tend to generate offence in different ways. Michkov uses his shot coming off the half wall far more than Crosby ever does. It's his bread and butter. It is a bad comparison IMO.

But don't mistake my opinion on this as criticism towards the player. My criticism is directed at the comparison alone. I do think that Michkov is going to be a great player.

Right, but what I'm saying is that someone made that comparison and you, unprompted, decided to bring up the exact aspects of Michkov's game that lead people to make that comparison. They say it because of his edgework. They say it because he's a magician in tight board play. They say it because he's extremely strong on his skates.

Are you telling me that a 19 year old who has never set foot in the NHL isn't as good at those things as a top-10 all-time NHLer? Yeah no shit man. I don't think anyone was arguing that. They're saying that based on those strengths, there are stylistic similarities. And those are fair to highlight.

I don't care if you think the kid is AHL trash or if you think his best comparable is Dustin Byfuglien. My point was that you stuck your neck out to confidently correct someone who didn't really need to be corrected, and in the process came off like the one who didn't actually know what they were talking about.

Last edited:

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
Right, but what I'm saying is that someone made that comparison and you, unprompted, decided to bring up the exact aspects of Michkov's game that lead people to make that comparison. They say it because of his edgework. They say it because he's a magician in tight board play. They say it because he's extremely strong on his skates.

Are you telling me that a 19 year old who has never set foot in the NHL isn't as good at those things as a top-10 all-time NHLer? Yeah no shit man. I don't think anyone was arguing that. They're saying that based on those strengths, there are stylistic similarities. And those are fair to highlight. I don't care if you think the kid is AHL trash, I am not his mom, my point was you stuck your neck out to correct someone who didn't really need to be corrected, and in the process came off like you didn't know what you were talking about.
This is a hockey forum where people post their opinion. My post was not "unprompted", it was literally prompted by the comparison that the other poster made. That is how this whole forum thing works. If you can't handle it when someone has a differing opinion from your own, then you are in the wrong place.

My opinion is that comparing Michkov to Crosby is a bad comparison. I don't think I'm alone in that either. You disagree, that's fine, but getting all upset and angsty is a bit over the top.

• Haha
Reactions: Realgud

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So we can expect a ppg season from him this year?

No, they didn’t
Actually, it’s the star players who make the difference when it comes to Cups. Habs getting Lafleur (smart Sam Polock) sure helped winning several Cups. Getting Michkov would have helped a lot too. Imo he’s going to be a star. Maybe not on a Lafleur level, of course, but still a star who makes a difference when it counts most.

Reactions: MoneyManny

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Michkov works hard Torts will love him even with issues that come with 99% of kids. He hates low effort more than missed assignments.
As it should be.

Like all teenagers, sometimes these kids let praise get to their head. If Michkov isn’t like that then Torts will move heaven and earth to help him become a complete player.

Maybe he wont get as many points, but certainly vastly more valuable.

I'm looking forward to see what happens.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
If Michkov works hard Torts will love him even with issues that come with 99% of kids. He hates low effort more than missed assignments.
This is the bottom line of the Torts discussion. It's all about effort. Think back to last preseason when SKA played Michkov as a center and told him to be defensively responsible. He was a monster in the defensive zone. He can do pretty much whatever he focuses his energy on

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Even big part of Montreal fan base know that. Who is copium free.
It's the Michkov fan club who is in copium mode non stop. They clownishly thought he might go first overall, and then saw him fall to the 7th spot.

Now we have to hear about how the Habs were "afraid of the Russian factor", when even Dmitry f***ing Simashev went before him. And when we took Demidov the following year.

We have to read about conspiracy theories that kept this headcase out of SKA, when even Alex Galchenyuk made that team, despite doing his best impersonation of Tony Montana in Scarface.

I suppose next season, the excuses for Michkov not being the next Kaprizov will be about Tortorella being a big meanie. Can't f***ing wait!

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It's the Michkov fan club who is in copium mode non stop. They clownishly thought he might go first overall, and then saw him fall to the 7th spot.

Now we have to hear about how the Habs were "afraid of the Russian factor", when even Dmitry f***ing Simashev went before him. And when we took Demidov the following year.

We have to read about conspiracy theories that kept this headcase out of SKA, when even Alex Galchenyuk made that team, despite doing his best impersonation of Tony Montana in Scarface.

I suppose next season, the excuses for Michkov not being the next Kaprizov will be about Tortorella being a big meanie. Can't f***ing wait!
lol no one thought he was going 1 st . It was Bedard years out . But Michkov was very clearly number 2 prior to signing his 3 year KHL contract … wonder what changed … little more than just the Russian factor at play methinks

Nov 9, 2022
This thread has turned into a turd box.
nf0z4dv1efe61.jpg

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

There were a couple of people who thought that Michkov should go 1st OA. If you will compare it with crazy habs copium squad you will not be surprised.
People even don't need to be Michkov fans. There are tonns of people who likes Michkov and support him because he is freaking great young player and he was bullied by media because of politics. Same people are very active in different threads with different opinions about players from different countries. They just like young talented players. And don't like bullies.

Yes, Habs afraid of Russian factor is a big part of the reason in the moment. Reason why we heard so many fairy tales. Michkov played and produced well enough, he will be nhler even earlier than Reinbacher. At least Hughes was not as stupid to not draft Demidov to look as stupid two years in a row. I believe if he would draft Parekh or Iginla - every Montreal copiumadiens fans (special part of Habs fans) would talk about how Demidov would fall to six?

There are no conspiracy- Rotenberg isn't using teenagers year after year and prefer vets over very young players because he is trying to play mistake free game. He isn't successful but he is a famous meme. Again - same guy Demudov even didn't play in KHL at all because of the same reasons.

Michkov can't be next Kapruxov next season because Kaprizov was little bit older in his first season in NHL.

Like I said - pure copium. Habs fvcked up last year. And fans should be happy because Hughes didn't repeat the same mistake this year. Who knows how politics can change, there is a chance even if its little that Demidov will sign next KHL deal, guy like Dickinson is big and is good skater, physical, whats about culture - Demidov is very selfish, small, whats wrong with his skating, he is doing a lot of things he will never do on the NHL level. There are millions if stupid idiotic bullshit we can write about Demidov too. If he "second best talent on the draft" why he fall to the fifth pick?

I don't need answers. We already know it. Its okay to admit mistakes and move on. Its okay to stop sh1t on player in his thread.

Last edited:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Not sure where Michkov will play top 6 or middle 6...he has potential to score 25 goals and 35 assists in first season with much more in the future...see him scoring 45 goals and 55 assistsin a season some day

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Michkov is a way, way better prospect than Demidov.

Not sure how anyone who watches these two players can say definitively one is "way way better" than the other. They're both fantastic prospects. Their respective NHL careers will be the only thing that will distinguish the two, anything else is just pure fan bias at this point.

Last edited:

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada

We're officially off planet earth with his one 😭

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

crma.jpeg

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Not sure how anyone who watches these two players can say definitively one is "way way better" than the other. They're both fantastic prospects. Their respective NHL careers will be the only thing that will distinguish the two, anything else is just pure fan bias at this point.

I've had this discussion with you, you choose to completely ignore stats and all logic. There is nothing that Demidov has done AS A PROSPECT that puts him on the level that Michkov is on AS A PROSPECT. You can twist, turn, jump up and down and scream, nothing will change that absolute fact.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I've had this discussion with you, you choose to completely ignore stats and all logic. There is nothing that Demidov has done AS A PROSPECT that puts him on the level that Michkov is on AS A PROSPECT. You can twist, turn, jump up and down and scream, nothing will change that absolute fact.

He actually set MHL record for draft year players in scoring, beat Kucherov. Of course most top Russian prospects didn't play in the MHL in their draft years, but a record is a record. Especially when you beat Kuch...

Reactions: Angler

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is the bottom line of the Torts discussion. It's all about effort. Think back to last preseason when SKA played Michkov as a center and told him to be defensively responsible. He was a monster in the defensive zone. He can do pretty much whatever he focuses his energy on
He was so dang good and centered their best line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00