RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I think SKA is still over the salary cap, so it is hard to predict the exact lines currently, as some guys should be still leaving until September, but I think that the wingers for the top two lines are projected to be Leipsic, Khairullin, Gritsyuk and Tolchinsky.
Thanks. If that happens to start the season, how reasonable do you think it is that Michkov could overtake one of them with his play on the ice at some point in the season?

Last edited:
Reactions: Caser

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Thanks. If that happens to start the season, how reasonable do you think it is that he could overtake one of them with his play on the ice at some point in the season?
If everything will be clicking for them in the right way then I'd say it is unlikely this season. However since 3 of them are the new guys on the team there's a risk that they might be not be adapting too quickly to the new system or something, also injuries happen all the time etc, but I think currently Michkov's realistic projection for the coming season is 3rd line's RW.

Reactions: Guadana and Unger9

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
From a brief search around, I got the sense that Tolchinsky and Gritsyuk can both play either wing and possibly (?) prefer LW. But obv I really don't know. It looks like the Elite Prospects roster page for SKA is up to date and has positions

I'm just guessing, but just from looking at positions on EP and last year's production stats, this lineup seems ballpark... would be cool if anyone who thinks they have a good idea could chime in

Tolchinsky Khusnutdinov Khairullin

Gritsyuk Vorobyov Michkov

Starkov Glotov/Kadeykin Galimov

Alistrov Bardakov Zykov

Prokhorkin
Vorobyov was a former Flyers draft pick so thats kinda cool to see a connection. Any chance Demidov plays with Michkov this year or just spends time on the KHL squad in general?

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Thought he is rare example of a kid from average russian family who became a professional player, and then found out that his father was hockey scout, lmao

Reactions: Dach Vader

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I'm fine with realistic projections for his place in the lineup given the rigid, hierarchical nature of top KHL teams. But.. I will say it looks like Michkov has put on quite a bit of muscle since the season with Sochi. It's rumored that he hasn't taken off-ice training very seriously until the past year.

It's not the best shot of his legs with Ovi, but that photo I believe is from August 2022. The second is from the last week or two. It still seems clear that he's put on a lot of weight since then, and I'm assuming most of that has been since March 2023, since the 2022-23 season ended.

I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a clear step forward in his play on the ice this season vs. last season in Sochi. Also, to be fair, if you extrapolate Michkov's pts/gm from Sochi, the only wingers that clearly produced at a higher clip than him are Tolchinsky and Khairullin. And they probably had more talent to work with on their lines last season

Attachments

• OviMich.jpg
    OviMich.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Michkov2023.jpg
    Michkov2023.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
My argument during the 22-23 was that Michkov lost his 1-2 draft place due to pedestrian season. Other than that his achievments and stats were of a first overall in majority of drafts.
So, I was arguing that due to how 22-23 went it is perfectly reasonable for GMs to consider selecting Carlsson and Fantilli ahead of him.

Again if Michkov scored 30 in 40 games for SKA and 10 in 11 for National Team, he would have been a 2nd overall no doubt. But his season was not that good and thats why people suddenly started to get worried about his height and attitude. As rightfully pointed by many people, nobody is having issues with Bedard's height. You know why? He had a dominating season, so nobody cares, just like nobody cared about Gretzky being small and soft.

It is absolutely possible that next season, I will come here and say that looks like Michkov is in fact dominating KHL and looks like a generational talent. We shall see, but this seasob he was just not that good.

If he would have had these stats, he'd be 1st overall by a good margin as it's never been seen in the KHL for a DY player.

Richest KHL teams, like St Petersburg, don't give significant playing time to their young players.

Tarasenko was the one that had the best DY stats before Michkov in the KHL, and it was for a poor/bad team too (poor and bad means the same in the KHL).

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
If he would have had these stats, he'd be 1st overall by a good margin as it's never been seen in the KHL for a DY player.

Richest KHL teams, like St Petersburg, don't give significant playing time to their young players.

Tarasenko was the one that had the best DY stats before Michkov in the KHL, and it was for a poor/bad team too (poor and bad means the same in the KHL).
Players of 1st overall calibre never played in KHL in DY season either.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

Lots of people don't appreciate how hard it is for a 17 year old to play against KHL players.. Those are grown men. Russia has some of the best athletes in the world, they have competitors at the highest level in every sport, thats not an exaggeration or trying to flex for Russia but its not like hes playing against a bunch of joey jabronis. Even putting aside the points, just watching some of his shifts and highlights shows how unreal his talent is. He's already a step ahead in terms of how he attacks the dangerous areas and draws opponents out of position for a split second and burns them. He's going to be one of the most exciting players to watch in hockey for the next decade+

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Interestingly, Michkov ranked 43rd in KHL points-per-game (minimum 10 games played).

Meanwhile Leo Carlsson, who some believe is more NHL ready, ranked only 63rd in SHL ppg (minimum 10 games played).

Michkov also has more competition to contend with as the KHL has more teams, players and imports than the SHL.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Interestingly, Michkov ranked 43rd in KHL points-per-game (minimum 10 games played).

Meanwhile Leo Carlsson, who some believe is more NHL ready, ranked only 63rd in SHL ppg (minimum 10 games played).

Michkov also has more competition to contend with as the KHL has more teams, players and imports than the SHL.
God King Michkov will dominate this year, we are all witness

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
According to pick224 he was 4th in the KHL in primary even-strength points per GP in the KHL last year.

Imagine when he's popping on the PP1.

Reactions: Guadana

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Apparently Michkov played at center in the today's practice with Tolchinsky and Leipsic at wings, wonder if SKA will try that at the Sochi tournament too.
Thanks for this.

If Michkov plays and can stick at center, this would solve a lot of depth issues for the Flyers who are loaded at RW.

I don’t see why not if he’s willing. He’s got amazing IQ and hands so I would imagine he’s adaptable.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

How far back do those stats go?

The SHL has also been around for 30 years longer than the KHL.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Only starting to play center now?!!

Couldve gone first overall and stroked that giant ego of his if he started center earlier.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Thanks for this.

If Michkov plays and can stick at center, this would solve a lot of depth issues for the Flyers who are loaded at RW.

I don’t see why not if he’s willing. He’s got amazing IQ and hands so I would imagine he’s adaptable.
Hopefully he practices taking draws and becomes a faceoff monster if he does become a center. We could use someone with a positive faceoff %

Reactions: Guadana

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Only starting to play center now?!!

Couldve gone first overall and stroked that giant ego of his if he started center earlier.
Apparently he had a bit of experience at C on the midget level, also last season there was a game for Sochi where he took 7 faceoffs (won 3 of those).

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Apparently he had a bit of experience at C on the midget level, also last season there was a game for Sochi where he took 7 faceoffs (won 3 of those).
I think he might have the qualities to play center. His eyes are always looking around and scanning and he is also good on the backcheck. Those are two good qualities.

Reactions: Realgud

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Apparently Michkov played at center in the today's practice with Tolchinsky and Leipsic at wings, wonder if SKA will try that at the Sochi tournament too.
This is really interesting. Do you mean the intrasquad blue vs white exhibition game they had? Or just a practice?

My guess is they just wanted to see him play with two of their top 6 guys

Last edited:

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
This is really interesting. Do you mean the intrasquad blue vs white exhibition game they had? Or just a practice?

My guess is they just wanted to see him play with two of their top 6 guys
I didn't see it, just read about it, I guess it was about that exhibition game. Might not mean much, but also might be a sign that they want to try that in the Sochi tournament.

Reactions: Unger9

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

The fact that KHL has more players is a point against KHL, also imports are not much of a factor anymore, and Michkov played fir a garbage team which gave him the needed opportunities, while Carlsson played for a strong team

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad