RW Jordan Dumais - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2022, 96th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Outscoring players in his team like

L'Heureux - 2021 1st round pick (37 points in 23 games)
Desnoyers - Highly regarded 2020 draft Flyers prospect (36 points in 23 games)
Vidicek - 2022 top prospect, late 1st, early 2nd round projection (27 points in 30 games)
Orr - 2021 Hurricanes 4th round pick (23 points in 30 games)

And not to mention all the other top Q and CHL players this season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
U18 players in the Q - top 10

1. F Jordan Dumais - Halifax - 47 points
2. F Justin Cote - Drummondville - 31 points
3. F Markus Vidicek - Halifax - 27 points
4. F Antonin Verrault - Gatineau - 26 points
5. F Luke Woodworth - Drummondville - 22 points
6. D Angus Booth - Shawinigan - 21 points
7. F Daniil Bourosh - Rouyn-Noranda - 19 points
8. F Tyler Peddle - Drummondville - 18 points
9. Thomas Auger - Moncton - 18 points
10. Jacob Newcombe - Chicoutimi - 18 points

The only u18 player in the entire CHL, who has scored more points what Dumais
is Matthew Savoie, with 50 points (2 more games played what Dumais)

U18 players in the CHL - top 10

1. F Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg - 50 points
2. F Jordan Dumais - Halifax - 47 points
3. F Conor Geekie - Winnipeg - 35 points
4. F Jagger Firkus - Moose Jaw - 32 points
5. F Matthew Ward - Swift Current - 32 points
6. F Jordan Gustafson - Seattle - 31 points
7. F Justin Cote - Drummondville - 31 points
8. F Shane Wright - Kingston - 30 points
9. D Danton Mateychuk - Moose Jaw - 28 points
10. F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw - 27 points

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
It’s crazy most scouting services don’t have Dumais rated in the first round yet while Savoie is seen as a top 5 lock.
Savoie is one hell of a skater but he isn’t a top-5 lock; top 10, probably. He is dynamic just like Hughes, haven’t seen Dumais take over the game the way Savoie has been able to.
I’m going to say Dumais goes first round though - too much to like about his game.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Savoie is one hell of a skater but he isn’t a top-5 lock; top 10, probably. He is dynamic just like Hughes, haven’t seen Dumais take over the game the way Savoie has been able to.
I’m going to say Dumais goes first round though - too much to like about his game.
Oh it’s definitely not a knock on Savoie on my part, just saying I don’t think Dumais is getting enough love amongst the scouts just yet.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
It’s crazy most scouting services don’t have Dumais rated in the first round yet while Savoie is seen as a top 5 lock.

This is an exciting thesis, I've just recently heard Dumais' name on the habs board. obviously need to catch some games

Savoie is taking over games like no one in years and I really feel like he'll be a top 10 winger in the NHL. So...while I'll say that i think this is a lofty argument, I also love the idea...

chl.tv is worth the price in these instances

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

"Dumais is an opportunistic, playmaking offensive forward who showcased an outstanding generosity by constantly opening the play and setting up allies with scoring chances. He highlighted a slick passing touch all around the ice — from stretched zone breakouts outlets to skillful feeds in traffic. He flashed his fantastic vision as well, finding linemates driving through the slot. Dumais rarely seemed to represent a scoring threat by himself, yet, with great instincts and positioning, he earned multiple scoring occasions. He navigated open spaces smoothly, crashed to the net on entries and jumped on rebounds – leading to simple, but extremely dangerous chances. Dumais also showed a fantastic competitiveness, creating steals with a quick, combative and disturbing stick. His skating left to be desired though, as he lacked the foot-speed to explode off the block and simply didn’t have the bursts of speed to push the pace in transition. Dumais isn’t as dynamic or exciting as other prospects, but his playmaking and instincts makes him an intriguing player for the early rounds of the 2022 draft."

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
2022 NHL Draft: Wright tops Central Scouting's midterm rankings
Ranked at #72 among N/A skaters in central scouting’s midterm rankings.

And Button has him #76 overall.

Can someome explain to me why he is so low? I admit I haven't watch him play much. But he's exactly the same size and age as Matthew Savoie. He's also producing at the same pace. One is considered a Top 5 pick, while the other is a 3rd round pick at best. He's also producing similar or better numbers than older 1st round picks like L'Heureux or Bolduc.

So what's the knock on him? Is this just the result of playing in the Maritimes, being small and having a recent rise that hasn't been noticed yet? Or if he truly plays the kind of game that doesn't translate well in the NHL?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
And Button has him #76 overall.

Can someome explain to me why he is so low? I admit I haven't watch him play much. But he's exactly the same size and age as Matthew Savoie. He's also producing at the same pace. One is considered a Top 5 pick, while the other is a 3rd round pick at best. He's also producing similar or better numbers than older 1st round picks like L'Heureux or Bolduc.

So what's the knock on him? Is this just the result of playing in the Maritimes, being small and having a recent rise that hasn't been noticed yet? Or if he truly plays the kind of game that doesn't translate well in the NHL?

Skating is going to be the biggest thing.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
His skating isn't even bad. It just isn't elite and scouts are kind of writing him off because it isn't elite. He is an incredibly smart and cerebral player though. If someone somehow gets him with a 3rd round pick they are committing a robbery lol

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
His skating isn't even bad. It just isn't elite and scouts are kind of writing him off because it isn't elite. He is an incredibly smart and cerebral player though. If someone somehow gets him with a 3rd round pick they are committing a robbery lol

It's basically the same thing scouts were saying about players like Gallagher, Point and Debrincat. Too small, not fast enough.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It's basically the same thing scouts were saying about players like Gallagher, Point and Debrincat. Too small, not fast enough.

Also, there are several ways to scout skating.

Some scout see a small skater who isn't fastest on the ice,
sees a small player who isn't going to make it to the NHL,
does not draft him.

Other scout sees a small player who is a good skater,
with insane skill set, fearless game, drafts him in 2nd round.
#steal

Reactions: edguy

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't even know why anyone complains about the ranking of these types of players. You can be sure a sub 5'10 guy that is not an above-average or better skater for his size is not going in the first round other than the very occasional circumstance like Caufield where he was setting goal records that made scouts believe his projection was less risky. Thats how the NHL is. May be stupid, but there are plenty of smaller forwards that put up big totals in juniors that don't make the NHL. It's risk assessment. The risk with these players is viewed as too high to take them in round one.

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
I don't even know why anyone complains about the ranking of these types of players. You can be sure a sub 5'10 guy that is not an above-average or better skater for his size is not going in the first round other than the very occasional circumstance like Caufield where he was setting goal records that made scouts believe his projection was less risky. Thats how the NHL is. May be stupid, but there are plenty of smaller forwards that put up big totals in juniors that don't make the NHL. It's risk assessment. The risk with these players is viewed as too high to take them in round one.
Completely agree.. I think there is just some major stat watching going on. I like Dumais a lot but he’s definitely not a first round caliber talent. With that said he does have some good qualities… his anticipation and overall hockey sense are great. He’s very smart and still looks like a baby-faced kid so who knows maybe he has some growth left in the tank as well

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Completely agree.. I think there is just some major stat watching going on. I like Dumais a lot but he’s definitely not a first round caliber talent. With that said he does have some good qualities… his anticipation and overall hockey sense are great. He’s very smart and still looks like a baby-faced kid so who knows maybe he has some growth left in the tank as well

Opinions.

When i look at him play, i see a good skater, a pro level skater, not elite skater
but no one really needs to be one to begin with, to succeed, to become a pro,
small or big, right timing, high hockey sense etc. etc. goes for long way.

Besides Jordan Dumais is not your cliche too small to begin with.

For example, he is almost the same height what Raymond is,
Raymond is 5 foot 10 (178 cm) Dumais is 5 foot 9 (176 cm)
- 2 cm difference

And its not like Raymond has McDavid speed
and he is playing really well in his rookie season in the NHL.

How one skates really is eye of the beholder situation
- well not, if you clearly are a horrible skater, which obviously Dumais is not

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Opinions.

When i look at him play, i see a good skater, a pro level skater, not elite skater
but no one really needs to be one to begin with, to succeed, to become a pro,
small or big, right timing, high hockey sense etc. etc. goes for long way.

Besides Jordan Dumais is not your cliche too small to begin with.

For example, he is almost the same height what Raymond is,
Raymond is 5 foot 10 (178 cm) Dumais is 5 foot 9 (176 cm)
- 2 cm difference

And its not like Raymond has McDavid speed
and he is playing really well in his rookie season in the NHL.

How one skates really is eye of the beholder situation
- well not, if you clearly are a horrible skater, which obviously Dumais is not
Are you seriously comparing Raymond’s skating to Dumais?

Raymond is one of the best skaters in the NHL - it was the thing he was most praised about coming into the NHL.

He is also listed at 5’11” not 5’10” according to NHL.com which has the most accurate measurements. As someone who has gotten to see Dumais play live multiple times, I would bet that he is closer to 5’7” than 5’9”, this happens all the time in junior’s for small players such as Dumais.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not stat watching. I watch him a lot. I just think his skating issues are slightly over stated. That is all. He certainly isn't an elite skater. But I don't think it is bad at all. End of the day if it is a prospect outside of the best group of that class they usually carry risk...if they were a sure thing they would be going a hell of a lot higher. I don't think he would be out of place as a late 1st round pick/early 2nd. If he falls to the 3rd someone is getting stupid value from that 3rd round pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Skating is going to be the biggest thing.

I haven't seen him play, so I was curious how good/bad people that have watched him think his skating is. Too bad he wasn't invited to the top prospects game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad